• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

GuP

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

By city, I do mean NYC.
What other places/brands should I look into for a versatile navy sportcoat/blazer? I was thinking epaulet bc I tried it on and fit decently well.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Anyone know how the Incotex Benson cut fits? Leg opening appears straight-leg, but I have been fooled before (especially by Incotex).

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If by custom made you mean online made-to-measure, then yes it's worth it. You're much more likely to have success with a well-fitting OTR jacket than anything you can get from an online MTM service. On the other hand, if you manage to find a custom service with a physical presence that you can actually visit personally-- and it happens to charge less than $650-- go for it.

I guess custom/bespoke sportcoat in the city would be over 650.

What city? You could do something like Andrew Lock if you are in New York. Otherwise, I'd go with the Epaulet.

Online MTM is a huge crapshoot, and I also would not recommend it unless you are very experienced and can afford to lose the money if it comes out crappy.

I wouldn't recommend it either. My one experiment was a terrible waste.

Re. Epaulet, I'd just say that if you love it and afford it, and it fits, it's worth it. But if you're in New York, it's not the only place you can buy a jacket off the peg, and blue ones under $650 are not a rarity!

Thanks guys.

By city, I do mean NYC.
What other places/brands should I look into for a versatile navy sportcoat/blazer? I was thinking epaulet bc I tried it on and fit decently well.
I hate to 'brand-push' but if you get a good MTM company like Kent Wang, it's not a crapshoot. He sends you your suit size in a trial jacket and you try it on and he helps you with the measurements and what needs to change. You then select your options and fabric and you get it in a month. There are no refunds on custom jackets. I don't find that to be a big deal as it's been close enough to get a tailor to fix it (eg, .5cm off the sleeve length, 1cm more waist supression, etc).

MTM depends on the brand. Epaulets MTM, while made in America (I think admirable) doesn't let you try anything on. You're paying $600-$1050 without any idea what you are basing any measurements on or what it MIGHT look like.

MTM is a crapshoot but I don't have any bad stories about it since I went with someone that had a good system. Check out the Kent Wang thread for pictures. You won't read any bad stories on there about the MTM. Not one.

eta for convenience:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/151480/kent-wang-affiliate-thread/2595

H
ere's my trial suit and first sports coat. Kent did all the measurements. It's 1cm shorter than I'd want it to be in the cuffs and length but those were both fixed afterwards. Pretty impressive. Apologies on the t-shirt trial suit picture. I had more but this worked best for the side-to-side.

Last edited:

maraca2020

Reaction score
Looking for a polo shirt with a cutaway/very spread collar and decent roll, any suggestions? Thanks

EDIT: Something along the lines of this:

Last edited:

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.kentwang.com/about/suits/

Very bottom of that page, look at jackets. Legit prices. They're made in China but a lot of MTMs are and these feel fantastic. With my income and what I need them for, these not only are worth it but they exceed. Yous aw my other jacket in this thread and/or tailor fit/feedback, wearing my "car repair" clothes I think you called them (
rotflmao.gif
).. same place.

Getting a suit is cheaper but there's nothing I will go to that I would need to wear a suit over a sport coat. At least not yet. I'll get a suit later but I've fallen in love with the versatility of sport coats.

Check out the options as well.. Pretty extensive for MTM. Mine are all 3r2, my favorite part.

http://www.kentwang.com/suit-options.php

Last edited:

docka

Reaction score
What's the cheapest a s150 suit typically go for then? Are you serious it's 4500 to bespoke something with s150 quality?

I see OTR s150 suits for like 300 bucks....

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well you pay for a tailor's expert craft, eye, and better quality s150. Not all s150 is created equal. Also, a $300 suit isn't made in New York largely by hand.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny you should ask that amidst a discussion of Kent Wang. Check out his polos
I **** you not, that's why I didn't answer it.

"Seriously I can't suggest KW once right after another."

I don't have any KW polos so I can't really comment but people seem pretty content.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Worth it to pay 650 for an epaulet navy hopsack sportcoat? Can't you just get a custom made navy sportcoat for that much?

I'm in Boston and two places I went to said the prices start at $750 and rise pretty quickly.

I also own the Southwick (Epaulet) Navy hopsack and love it. I fit into a lot of 40r's almost perfectly OTR and only need minor sleeve adjustments so for me it's a pretty easy decision to save money on staples by never bothering to go the MTM route.

I'll only go MTM for a jacket if I want something unique.

Last edited:

Rikyertaldent

Reaction score
MADE IN MOLDOVA?? WHAT THE HELL??!

A lot of articles by Rick Owens have a label with "made in Moldova". Where the bloody hell is Moldova? It's worts than "made in China"!! It's incredible spend 1600 euro for a leather jacket made in Moldova! Who produced them are thieves!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads