• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Designer Sunglasses Worth The Price?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Everyone knowing that you are wearing 2200 USd sunglasses

BTW, who makes TOm Ford sunglasses ?

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Craftsmanship, time and style/ uniqueness, or very high EU wages (to the designers and executives), rather than the actual immigrant workers. Alot of parts made in China, HK and Taiwan are shipped to Italy and France to be assembled and placed with a made in Italy logo.

Beyond $400, the difference in lens quality and material of frame is very marginal. Technology only has advanced so far.

The margins they earn are actually alot more than what is stated in the article. The eyewear industry especially the RX side is a terribly marked up industry and I am actually encouraged to see that new online entrants can offer prices closer to reality.

I know alot of physical shops are hurting from the recession but serves them right for the prices they charge.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ Everyone knowing that you are wearing 2200 USd sunglasses

BTW, who makes TOm Ford sunglasses ?

Marcolin, their glasses are actually quite a good fit for me, which is the main criteria I use to select glasses, comfort above all else.

Night Owl

Reaction score
old news is old

safilo is another big maker, tom ford sunglasses are total utter garbage btw
laugh.gif

DGstyles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Night Owl
old news is old

safilo is another big maker, tom ford sunglasses are total utter garbage btw
laugh.gif

Any particular reason why TF sunglasses are garbage? I love my Persols, Ray Ban aviators, and newly acquired 007 Tom Fords.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGstyles
Any particular reason why TF sunglasses are garbage? I love my Persols, Ray Ban aviators, and newly acquired 007 Tom Fords.

If you like them, that's fine enough. I got mine cheap and they are quite sturdy, fits well although the lenses could be better.

You don't need any affirmations from anyone, especially not about sunglasses from someone called night owl.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Some of the biggest markups in fashion accesories are on glasses, if not the biggest. Almost all of them are made by 2 or 3 companies as mentioned already, mostly made in Guangdong, China.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
Some of the biggest markups in fashion accesories are on glasses, if not the biggest. Almost all of them are made by 2 or 3 companies as mentioned already, mostly made in Guangdong, China.
Sunglasses must be like perfume to fashion houses... pure profit.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most sunglasses are made by the same company: Ray-Ban ... Oakley ... Bulgari ... Dolce & Gabbana ... Salvatore Ferragamo ... Prada ... Burberry, Chanel, Polo Ralph Lauren, Paul Smith, Stella McCartney, Tiffany, Versace, Vogue, Persol, Miu Miu, Tory Burch and Donna Karan.

Does anyone know where to get a complete list of Luxottica sunglass brands? I'm curious about LV, Gucci, Fendi, and Tom Ford.

And I'm particularly curious whether these and other brands not affiliated with Luxottica are individually independent or part of some similar, competing conglomerate.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
Luxxotica makes sunglasses to the company's requested quality. Which is why the "Made in Italy" Persols aren't the same as the "Hand Made in Italy" ones. Although they're still not as nice as the ones from the Ratti days.
I'm curious, what made the Ratti Persol sunglasses better? I always hear this. I've owned a couple of pairs of Luxottica Persols and I can't imagine them being any better. The parts fit together beautifully (especially the nicely machined hinges) and the lenses seem good to me. (Comparable to Zeiss lenses in my C&G) I've only ever seen Ratti models in photos, but they don't always appear to have been made with the same precision from what I can tell. At most they appear to be basically the same. I'm not sure what I can be missing.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many people are gullible. A fool and his money are soon parted. Recall this thread a few weeks back: Though these are different brands, the markup issue is the same (Ray Ban, Maui, Persol, Serengetti) vs. $10 street vendors/Exxon sunglasses http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=182736

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Craftsmanship, time and style/ uniqueness, or very high EU wages (to the designers and executives), rather than the actual immigrant workers. Alot of parts made in China, HK and Taiwan are shipped to Italy and France to be assembled and placed with a made in Italy logo.

Beyond $400, the difference in lens quality and material of frame is very marginal. Technology only has advanced so far.

The margins they earn are actually alot more than what is stated in the article. The eyewear industry especially the RX side is a terribly marked up industry and I am actually encouraged to see that new online entrants can offer prices closer to reality.

I know alot of physical shops are hurting from the recession but serves them right for the prices they charge.

That's an understatement, the owner of Luxottica is so wealthy, he now owns Brooks Brothers.

arc

Reaction score

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arc
The manufacturers list their brands on their websites: * Luxottica: http://www.luxottica.com/en/brands/license_brands/ * Safilo: http://www.safilo.com/en/2-licensed-brands.php * Marcolin: http://www.marcolin.com/Index.aspx?languageId=1002 (mouse over the "Collezioni" tab) (Man, this post looks like
spam[1].gif
)

Thanks, looks like Tom Ford and Dsquared are from Marcolin, most of the rest of the usual suspects are from Luxottica . . . I'm really surprised Gucci isn't in any of these lists (they look exactly the same as all the rest of the designer sunglasses but with the Gs/stirrups instead of XYZ's logo), does anybody know who makes their shades? Or Fendi's, or Louis Vuitton's?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads