• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GianmarcoT

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi, we are Apposta, an Italian online brand for made-to-measure shirts.
On our website, you can create or simply customise one of our pre-designed shirts. We founded Apposta to blend 4th generation Italian shirtmaker heritage with an innovative and intuitive online customisation experience.

You can create your own shirt by either customising one of the existing proposals or creating one starting from the fabrics. Choose the various different features as collars, cuffs, pockets, fit and many more. With around 3,000 of the best Italian fabrics, you can choose from the widest selection, including great everyday cottons, innovative functional fabrics as well as the most luxurious Giza 45 and Sea Island cotton from the world’s most renown mills such as Thomas Mason, D & J Anderson and Canclini.

You can also get your shirt made-to-measure by following our video guides, measuring a well fitting shirt, or sending us one of your shirts to clone. We guarantee the perfect fit.
All our shirts are made in Italy and shipped in just two weeks.

We are looking forward to respond to any question and feedback you may have!

Gianmarco & Gianluca

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome!

Could you please share some comments on what is different with you compared to all the other online shirt makers?

Could you share some links to recommended staple fabrics such as a light blue oxford, a light blue dress shirt and a white dress shirts?

And do you plan to offer a styleforum coupon code?

Good luck with your business!

Aloysius16

Reaction score
I would like to know how you clone the fit of a shirt. Do you just take the standard measurements and apply these to your normal pattern, or are you also able to adjust other things like the shape and position of the armhole or yoke that are important for fit?

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to say that I really like Apposta and I’ve placed three orders with them at this point and have worn 3 of the shirts so far. Here are my thoughts:

My initial order arrived and it was obvious pretty quickly that I inputted the cuff measurement incorrectly (I was just cloning a shirt that fit well already). The other place I order shirts (Proper Cloth) uses a buttonhole to button measurement. Apposta uses the entire length of the cuff. That's a noticeable difference and was entirely my fault. So I inquired about whether I could buy some new, larger cuffs and they just remade the shirt for me. That was unexpectedly good customer service and really unnecessary.

I have received the replacement shirt and wore it today actually. All shirts I have received are really nice and well made. All stitching was straight and without issue. The button stitching was well done. There were not extraneous threads on the shirt. They have a touch less stitches per inch than Proper Cloth but I doubt that will have any effect on the shirt over time. Interestingly, and FWIW, the shirts are made in Italy, while PC shirts are made in Vietnam these days.

For measurements, I just used the numbers I use with Proper Cloth. Other than the cuffs, it was a very nice fit. I ordered the "spread" collar, which is a bigger collar and it's perfect for me. It's very similar to the Roma Cutaway that I order from Proper Cloth but a tiny bit smaller.

The mother of pearl buttons are good, but a bit thin and small in diameter. I initially thought I didn’t like the buttons but am now quite happy with them, especially as there is no upcharge for MOP buttons.

The yoke is a one piece yoke whereas you can get a split yoke with other manufacturers. People tout a split yoke as fitting better but I don't notice an issue with this shirt.

As to fabric, for my initial shirt I chose a Thomas Mason Giza 45 twill in light blue and love it. This shade is one shade darker than the blue Proper Cloth offers (Apposta has that fabric and calls is "Cyan"). This brings up a bigger subject. Apposta has a superior fabric offering and they have every fabric I am looking for. I have noticed over time that Proper Cloth has big holes in its offering. By way of example, if I wanted something from the Thomas Mason Hampton collection (their Giza 45 twill offerings), Apposta has every swatch that is offered, which may be 20-25 different ones. Proper Cloth might have 6-7. Maybe...and those are consistently out of stock. I'll give you another example. Proper Cloth has a "Thomas Mason luxury white broadcloth" fabric. It's just a 120/2 poplin. They don't tell you the weight or the book its from, even though Thomas Mason has two different ones, one being lighter in weight than the other; the Byron Kent book and the Portland book respectively. Apposta has both books and everything in them so you can really order exactly what you want. I realize that maybe everyone won't get "that" into details but I do, and I can appreciate a place that allows me to do that.

In addition to the vast fabric selection, their pricing is very good. The same Giza 45 fabrics I’ve been ordering are easily $70-80 more at Proper Cloth than Apposta. Beyond the stitching, button offering (FYI you have to pay extra for MOP buttons at Proper Cloth and you don't at Apposta), and the yoke construction, I really don't see a difference that would merit spending the Proper Cloth premium.

To date, I have placed three orders with Apposta for a grand total of 6 shirts. I intend to place more orders in the future and will probably make the switch to them for MTM shirts going forward.

Last edited:

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've ordered two shirts from Apposta so far. I'm really happy with the fabric selection and the make quality. I've used Hemrajani for shirts so far, and Apposta is certainly on par quality-wise. I'm definitely going to order again, and the fact that I received a discount coupon with my first order makes that decision even easier.

Even so, I have a few constructive suggestions:
- It would be great to have a one-piece collar option
- I'd also like a polo shirt/popover option
- The pictures of the cloths aren't always to scale, which sometimes makes it difficult to judge what a fabric will look like exactly. Colours are spot on though, at least on my screen.
- I'd like more madras cloth options.

Chronic_Zero

Reaction score
I am a big fan of Apposta, I have 5 of their shirts so far and waiting for 3 more to arrive shortly. They are my first MTM shirt maker so I can't really compare with other brands. However, fit, quality of the seams and pattern matching are all of great standard given the price, and pretty consistent.

I had my first fitting with Gianmarco in their London location in the City as I wouldn't trust myself with the measurements. He and their customer service have been super accommodating with requests for small details not offered on their website (brown MOP buttons, double cuffs with "cut" angle).

JJGNYC

Reaction score
Can you guys clone shoulder slope, armhole size, et cetera? Do you offer the ability to have arms set by hand sewing?

Eager to hear if Apposta can clone shoulder slope. I'd be interested in sending a shirt to be cloned. Also interested in any upcoming trunk shows in the US.

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome!

Could you please share some comments on what is different with you compared to all the other online shirt makers?

Could you share some links to recommended staple fabrics such as a light blue oxford, a light blue dress shirt and a white dress shirts?

Hi, and welcome!

Apposta shirts are entirely made in Italy with the care and experience of those who have been making shirts for over a century. Apposta combines the quality of the Made in Italy concept with the new technologies adopted throughout the production process. This enables us to offer the highest possible level of customer service.

Wardrobe essentials:

We are currently working on a styleforum discount code. Watch this space!

Thanks!

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I would like to know how you clone the fit of a shirt. Do you just take the standard measurements and apply these to your normal pattern, or are you also able to adjust other things like the shape and position of the armhole or yoke that are important for fit?

Using our extensive range of up to 3000 fabrics and expert shirt makers in Italy, we’ll replicate what you love about your number one shirt - be it the fabric, collar shape or style - so you can wear forever your favourite shirt. If it's the fit you want to replicate, we will measure the shirt and create a pattern for you. We can make some amendments, if necessary, and ensure you measurement profile is updated to reflect all changes to your your fit. We can also change intricate areas like the armhole and shoulder depth which help to make a perfect fitting shirt.

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Do they offer the ability to order swatches?

We don't send swatches. We have ensured all our fabric options have a detailed description of properties and performance characteristics. We have carefully displayed our fabric options online in it's truest form, with attention to convey weave, colour and weight.

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Can you guys clone shoulder slope, armhole size, et cetera? Do you offer the ability to have arms set by hand sewing?

We have the ability to clone shoulder depth and armhole size. This information is reflected on your measurement profile, in order to make re-ordering as seamless as possible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads