• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odradek

Reaction score
Thanks to Kristle and Jill at Jeffersonville for tracking down the last pair of burgundy/black Sheltons in my size.

Sheltons sadly being discontinued, but I can't believe AE would leave a saddle shoe out of the lineup for long.

green garden

Reaction score

Spectator Shoes:

Spectator shoes are tough to pull off without them looking "tacked on". I feel very similarly about them as I do about colored laces. When you wear them everything else needs to have a similar "vibe". In this case very s/s and festive. Additionally, when wearing a two-tone shoe it can be very helpful to match one of the shoe colors to the trouser color. This reduces the amount of clashing around the ankles. Spectators feel very much "at home" when trouser is paired that matches them, it makes the eye feel like they are harmonious and belong together. This is especially important to achieve as spectators often feel loud and out of place. Here is today's attempt at the Singleton:

Here I chose the shoes first. I wanted to work them in to an outfit for the holiday. The trousers were an easy second choice for reasons listed above. Light blue chinos (or standard khaki) may have worked, in that case you would go with a white shirt. However, I think the 3 different colors in the bottom block would be too jarring. White was the perfect choice. I chose a belt that would tie to the walnut of the shoes, pulling together the entire bottom block into a coherent whole. Light Blue OCBD was a natural next choice. I think pink would work in this case as well, but I prefer the standard light blue as my outfit is going to draw enough attention as it is. Jacket choice of seersucker is just wonderful here. It is light and s/s while providing sufficient contrast with the shirt and trousers. Finally, any bright and fun pocket square ties everything together. I chose this red, white, and blue one of the holiday. Straw boater optional, but if there was ever a chance to rep it this is it.

Hope this helps some people. feedback and criticisms always welcome. :)

Great combination.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aafes doesn't have AE anymore, at least not on the website.
Gave me a strange feeling to type in Allen Edmonds in the search box at shop my exchange and get back Sorry this item is unavailable. It was almost as bad to type in special order program and get a page back saying sorry the Special Order Program is no longer available. 3 weekends ago I was with a couple other retired military and AAFES came up. One of the gentleman suggested that they fire the management (it is civilian run) at AAFES and start over. I thought that was a bit drastic but now can't say I disagree. They do have Filson at a decent discount but a very limited selection.

Kids were busy painting for a bit, so I did some quick Mac action on the Parks and Strands. The parks are getting better. Got just about all the black (!!???) polish off of them.

Just noticed something about Park Aves. I got these for $299 as seconds, but there ain't a thing off about them, and there are no stamps on the soles. Just a preliminary roll on each right where all my shoes always crease. Methinks I got a great bargain...

You did VERY well IMO, outstanding!

Thanks to Kristle and Jill at Jeffersonville for tracking down the last pair of burgundy/black Sheltons in my size.

Sheltons sadly being discontinued, but I can't believe AE would leave a saddle shoe out of the lineup for long.
bucksfan turned me (and a lot of others) on to Kristle awhile back and she has always been outstanding. Hard to believe the Shelton is going away, that is a shame. I agree it is hard to believe that AE would abandon a saddle shoe for long. Congrats on getting a pair!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Kristle really does provide great personal service. Or should I say she's a great enabler ;)

She was the one who preemptively caught those park aves and pulled them aside for me, ha! Great example for a sales associate / manager.

I've always kind of wanted a Shelton, but the bulbous toe of the 1 last always seemed a bit off- putting in a balmoral. Perhaps they'll bring out a saddle on a different last. That would be great.

The AE twitter feed hinted that there will be an austerity brogue style coming out in spring '15. Wondering what they'll be doing with that...

Last edited:

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, I'm shocked by this. I always thought of the Shelton as a mainstay. Agreed that they must be coming out with a different one. Can't imagine they wouldn't offer a saddle.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, I'm shocked by this.  I always thought of the Shelton as a mainstay.  Agreed that they must be coming out with a different one.  Can't imagine they wouldn't offer a saddle.

Well, I would have been shocked a few months ago if you'd have told me they were going to drop a tan pebbled grain longwing but they have.

BL70

Reaction score

Thank you both for your input. I decided to forget about AE briefcases after taking a look into these suggestions. I really like the Thin Briefcase from Saddleback in Chestnut (http://www.saddlebackleather.com/briefcasethin), but I'm not too sure how well it would go with my build. I'm a slim guy, 5'9" around 140 lbs, but I'd need the large size in order to carry my laptop. Any idea if this would be too big for a guy of my size? Also, would this be an appropriate briefcase to pair daily with a suit?

Hi, I have the saddleback thin briefcase in the large size. I love it but it is a big bag and I think would be large for your build. I am 6 ft 145 for reference. While the larger size is great when I pack for a trip I sometimes wish I had opted for the medium.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But I'll add, I can't say enough nice things about Krystle. I don't want to get her into trouble but a matter was resolved very generously and involved the words "truffle" and "shell."

Trader George

Reaction score
Hi, I have the saddleback thin briefcase in the large size. I love it but it is a big bag and I think would be large for your build. I am 6 ft 145 for reference. While the larger size is great when I pack for a trip I sometimes wish I had opted for the medium.
Thanks for the input. I figured that would be the case (sadly, that made me chuckle). I came across a case I prefer very greatly over the saddleback, anyway. However, I fear this may be too big for my build as well, as the dimensions are as follows: 17.5" x 12" x 4"

Any opinions? This is the bag: http://frankcleggleatherworks.com/the-wall-street.html

Also, apologies to everybody on this thread as my questions have drifted away from Allen Edmonds. I will refrain from posting about briefcases promptly.

BL70

Reaction score

Thanks for the input. I figured that would be the case (sadly, that made me chuckle). I came across a case I prefer very greatly over the saddleback, anyway. However, I fear this may be too big for my build as well, as the dimensions are as follows: [COLOR=222222]17.5" x 12" x 4"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Any opinions? This is the bag: [/COLOR]http://frankcleggleatherworks.com/the-wall-street.html

Also, apologies to everybody on this thread as my questions have drifted away from Allen Edmonds. I will refrain from posting about briefcases promptly.

Ok segue back on topic. Picture of chestnut saddleback briefcase with just arrived cognac mctavish.

LeviMay

Reaction score
I'm wearing my apparently-odd-duck MacNeils to work today. We had discussed them a little while back, a d there was speculation they may be on the 5-65 last, which they are not: 7-last, as per normal. But they have the light coloured edging and, I just noticed, a flat welt:

Were these a MTO-gone-wrong? My first thought was that they were a collaboration with a vendor, but they have standard AE badging.

Curious musings on a quiet Saturday.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious ... what has been less than ideal about the last?

The 1 last is rather tricky for me too. I think it's rather unforgivingly true to size (feet are different lengths and widths).

I think in the future if I want a new shoe on that last I need to order 2 different sizes.

The 5 and 3 lasts are more forgiving due to the extra length in the toebox.

I am tts 9.5D, but, for the 1 last, a 10C fits better than a 9.5D. And a 10C is a great fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads