1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CGKIII

CGKIII Well-Known Member

Education has to start somewhere. When one tries to find info about AE, this thread is one of the more prominent places, and has some of the best info out there. Sure, there are a lot of questions about "Is this typical/acceptable?" because people genuinely don't know.

When I first stepped into an AE store I don't think I would have been able to tell you why the McAllister and MacNeil were different shoes. Now I know the lacing style differences (and many other things, but that's the big one). Months later, I would have called the McAllister and Neumok the same shoe. Now, I know the leather style difference (and many other things). Months after that, I would have called the McAllister and Jefferson the same shoe. Now, I know the wheeling and lining and details. Months later, I would have called my Brown/Walnut webgem Broadstreet a "two-toned McAllister" (because it doesn't have the wheeling like the other 3). Now, I know it's also on a different last. Even more months later, I would have called the AE tan suede Neumok and Brooks snuff suede Newmok the same shoe. Now, I know about the poron insole. Actually, I guess I'll still call it the same shoe, but when pressed I can divulge why they're different.

Somewhere along the line I picked up pairs of EG, G&G, and J. Fitzpatrick. Now, I can tell you why the price differences exist. But for someone who just plunked down a couple hundred bucks for their first pair of shoes and is getting over the sticker shock of $385 retail (for something they're not really sure why it costs hundreds of dollars more than their Cole Haans or Florsheims because they look exactly the same to them), yes, they're going to wonder why they're not perfect. These people have never heard of EG, G&G, Lobb, St. Crispins. They're legitimately ignorant (most of them, I imagine).

Does it get a little tiring saying "Yes, that's a reasonable defect. If you don't like it, return them?" Is it a little annoying to read yet another request for a fit comparison between the 5 last and <any shoe from any manufacturer>? Yeah, a bit. But who else can they turn to for (reasonably) unbiased, objective opinions? The folks making up the community here are the experts. Should some of them look back a page and see their exact question answered before and not post this time? Yeah, of course. But until we get a separate thread for that sort of thing, it'll keep happening. And that's good! More people wearing AE or better shoes rather than cheap crap seems like a good thing to me. Maybe a separate fit/nitpick thread is warranted, I don't know who makes that call. But if it gets made, will many of us even bother looking there and responding? I probably won't. And that doesn't help the new folks.

6 people like this.
  2. AlphaDad

AlphaDad Active Member

[​IMG]
    Merlot Monday - Park Ave

1 person likes this.
  3. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I think the real issue is that there isn't enough AE Appreciation going on in the thread. Too much nitpicking and "are these seconds okay?" and not enough "look at these sweet AEs that I just got" or "I love this old pair of AE that I am wearing today."

I think part of it stems from the fact that AE is running more sales every year now, so when there isn't a sale, all activity dies down in these threads. I'm sure as the Nordstrom sale winds up there will be a lot more people showing off their new Daltons and Strands...

3 people like this.
  4. ScooberJake

ScooberJake Well-Known Member

Well, I think maybe people around here go a little overboard with the disdain for black. Certainly at least one pair of black shoes and belt are a staple of any man's wardrobe, with many good uses. I wear my black shoes about once a week. However, I agree with the consensus that in most situations brown is a better choice.

And frankly, I find your suggestion that black is good because it is worn by "tons and tons of people" at "the mall" to be one of the most hilarious things I have seen on SF!

5. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Does anyone have the AE for Brooks Brothers MacNeil in chocolate suede? I would be very interested to see some photos of them in action.

6. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Sporting Amoks and what I thought were the customary red laces. That is, until I snapped this pic, and realized these aren't the normal laces I wear - both because of color and their length. Think these still work despite not matching my NATO strap. Oh well... nobody is going to notice anyway, right??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Patrick30

Patrick30 Active Member

Now what's weird here is I see you version of my quote and then I see my actual quote and they seem to be two completely different statements. Not once did I say "black is good because it's worn by tons of people at the mall" find wear I said that and I'll send you a pair of AEs your choice. I believe I said look around when you go to various places such as a wedding, out to a nice dinner, the mall exct...I was naming various places that usually contain a decent amount of people there. You will see black is a popular choice. That doesn't mean it's right or a good idea. I simply stated I see tons of people in black and I bleieve its a old tradition avoiding it.

8. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

A few of my recent days on which I particularly appreciated AE.

Natural shell cordovan MacNeil:

[​IMG]

Navy shell cordovan Dundee:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  9. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

wow - both look great - love the navy dundee

10. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

Yes you are right, this thread has turned into a bunch of whiney pants complainers. Please complain about it more! :p

1 person likes this.
  11. misterellington

misterellington Senior member

If these are in your size range, you really should. For about $270.00 you can get a couple of pairs of FABULOUS shoes. I post these finds because I know how awesome these shoes are and these are nice finds just sitting fallow at a place few would think to look for something so nice. Not everyone can afford to drop $400.00-$650.00 for a pair of these. So imagine getting two or three pairs for the cost of ONE! :)

It's also a way to "share the wealth". I've gotten some serious deals at Burlington, but I only have one pair of Size 11.5-12D feet. :) Why not let others get in on the action?

12. misterellington

Goddamn...those Navy Shell Dundees look amazing! Drooling!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  13. bamgrinus

bamgrinus Senior member

I'm pretty sure that black is the best-selling color for dress shoes overall, due to the average person's perception that it just goes with everything. But that fact is probably partially what fuels the idea that black shoes are boring among people who take more of an active interest in fashion.

14. misterellington

I honestly don't get the disdain. Going overboard with ANY color can be a drudge, but I'm a believer in multiple pairs of the big four styles —captoe, wingtip, loafer and boot in the classic three colors—Black, Brown & Burgundy. Any shoe can be boring if it's styled and worn boring-ly. I've picked up three AEs in the last two months in black —the Haight Boot, Suede Graysons and a pair of Calf "Players Shoes" and quite the opposite of "boring" has been the feedback from people who've seen them...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Variety is the spice of life. And a sprinkle of Black Pepper here and there can be mighty fine! :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

There are some occasions where only a black shoe will do. And when it's time to kick ass, I bust out the black Neumoras.

[​IMG]

It's a low priority right now, but eventually id love some black shell wingtip boots.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    4 people like this.
  16. iamelroberto

iamelroberto Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So apparently this happens..

Any reason they would make the inside green??

1 person likes this.
  17. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Question regarding the Amex offer... It says $50 off a purchase of $200 or more. Interested in something at $199.99 + NY tax. Will the tax take me over the $200 and into the discount, or does the tax not factor in? Any ideas?

18. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I think this is a well put response to @bdavro23 's well put comment. In fact, I don't think the response can be improved on. And I pledge to use the phrase "pure balls irony" at least once before the week is out.

On the subject of black shoes, I don't really detect an overall disdain for black shoes per se, but rather the situations in which some would suggest wearing black shoes. There are some very interesting looking but very informal shoes put out by AE and - to my thinking - black would usually be a poor choice for those models. I think most would agree that in the right circumstances, black shoes look great. There is simply a disagreement about what those circumstances are.

2 people like this.
  19. misterellington

Sh*tfire, but those Neumoras look great. Sleek, simple and stately. And yeah, there are indeed occasions "where only a black shoe will do". I think though, a later poster sort of hit on the "issue" just right...

Count de Monet:

I don't really detect an overall disdain for black shoes per se, but rather the situations in which some would suggest wearing black shoes.

It kind of reinforces what you pointed out—Yes, they may "go with" everything, but if something is deployed all the time, it then loses its "specialness". Some have swung the pendulum so far to the other side because of the ubiquity of black shoes that no pair seems special to them...which is sad.

20. DGY1atTMW

DGY1atTMW Well-Known Member

+1 to you sir....

Look, I AM a newbie to this forum - and I AGREE 100%. Interestingly, when I complained on here about the same thing, I suddenly received PM's from Senior Members THANKING ME for saying what they wanted to, but felt they should not.

Do you buy a pizza then say "this slice is not as cheesy as the last one"?....do you buy a puppy and say "that hair is not as dark as the rest of them"?. "The used car I just bought has one tail light that shines brighter than the other - should I take it back?"

Leather is a natural fabric - it will have natural imperfections. Of 5 pairs of AE's I have bought in the last year, only my Daltons do not APPEAR to have obvious signs that would make them 2nds...hell, my $299 shell Westchesters barely fit - AFTER my cobbler worked on them - and came with a small roll in them already...do you think I sent them back? HELL NO - they're still freaking beautiful shoes, especially at that price, and they still LOOK GREAT.

Look, I get the "education" part - and you are absolutely correct...but the benefit here is education about fit / Lasts / materials / styles, not what imperfections are acceptable...gawd, there was one poster recently with miniscule imperfections that I woulda been doing backflips over if that's all my shoes came with who just kept posting waiting for someone to justify his OCD.

There's just NO VALUE to be gleaned from that shite BY ANYONE here.

So...when did this appreciation for AE cease being about great looking + well-made shoes that would wear and last better than the scheisse that we all used to buy?

--They look good
    --You can wear them comfortably
    --You like them

What's the problem here?

Let's get back to more productive conversations - like poster's atrocious fashion sense re: suits / pants [​IMG]

(I sell suits for a living BTW...so that one was too easy LOL)

every post from now on about "should I keep these" will get a response from me that says "do you like the way they look?"

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.