• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIK1891

Reaction score

just kicking my feet up with a textbook half an hour before an evening class, and then I'm going right from there to a Women's Bar Association Valentine's silent auction event. seemed like a good excuse to break these out (with a white/tan striped linen banded collar shirt and light blue silk/wool sports jacket) ... seeing the weather up north this week sure makes law school in Fla. look like the right choice

WICaniac

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Is Mike a manager or an SA?
SA

I actually have a charcoal pair of Lululemon pants like these that I love. From afar, they actually look like dress pants. Most comfortable pants I own, actually. Thanks for the tip!

Might try them out with some light gray cords I have also. Do you think they would work with gray/white gingham shorts?
You're welcome! I was going to recommend light grey cords, as well--but I avoid dark shoes with shorts at all costs. It's not flattering to my Wisconsin legs!

I bought a pair of brown Jermyn's, which are a superb fit for my feet. I wasn't quick enough to get them in black before AE discontinued the line. The Manchester is made on Last 97, so should be a good fit according to SE. Does anyone own either Jermyn and Manchester, or Park Avenue and Manchester, and if so are the fits roughly comparable.
My Jermyns are slightly narrower than my PAs. I had the Jermyns stretched and now they fit the same.

I'm keeping the walnut Jermyn's which I thought I'd missed the boat on!
I fell in love with the walnut Jermyn's when I saw a SA in Philly wearing them; later bought mine at clearance price in the DC store. The manager said she thought it was the best looking shoe in the store and couldn't imagine why AE was killing it so soon. I was very happy to have not missed the boat!

Last edited:

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just received a pair of Park Avenue seconds. I immediately noticed the left toe cap is slightly askew. Thoughts? Should I consider returning, or am I being too anal?

Scottyb06

Reaction score
Just received a pair of Park Avenue seconds. I immediately noticed the left toe cap is slightly askew. Thoughts? Should I consider returning, or am I being too anal?

If this is the only "flaw" for these shoes I would actually consider them firsts and would not return them.

namgungh

Reaction score
hey all,

today I received my factory second, fifth avenue walnut,

as seen, there is a lining on the top captoe part, is this something expected from *factory second* shoes?

in person, the lining is much more visible and I just can't stand it...

is this considered defect?

Unfortunately, AE customer service emailed me saying this is "with-in" their acceptable range of defect for "factory - seconds".
To those of you got almost perfect or small defects, consider yourself really lucky :(

If you are in states, they do issue you a prepaid label return, but not for canada. so I'm stuck with this ugly shoe in which I think a lot of people told me the mark may fade away long run... fingers crossed..

My first purchase with AE for brand new pair was also defect, they honored it given that it was brand new,
I don't think I will ever buy anything from AE online ... :\

AdamAdam

Reaction score

just kicking my feet up with a textbook half an hour before an evening class, and then I'm going right from there to a Women's Bar Association Valentine's silent auction event. seemed like a good excuse to break these out (with a white/tan striped linen banded collar shirt and light blue silk/wool sports jacket) ... seeing the weather up north this week sure makes law school in Fla. look like the right choice

Summit Aves? I picked up a pair of seconds on the cheap last year and want to find more opportunities to wear them. I wore them out to an old theater during Christmastime to see a show and it felt right.

SkySaw

Reaction score
Unfortunately, AE customer service emailed me saying this is "with-in" their acceptable range of defect for "factory - seconds".
To those of you got almost perfect or small defects, consider yourself really lucky :(

If you are in states, they do issue you a prepaid label return, but not for canada. so I'm stuck with this ugly shoe in which I think a lot of people told me the mark may fade away long run... fingers crossed..

My first purchase with AE for brand new pair was also defect, they honored it given that it was brand new,
If you are stuck with them, then I suggest burnishing the toe-box with some dark brown or black cream polish and then using some black wax to give the toe-box a mirror shine. You could end up with a really nice effect. If you don't like the burnishing you are doing, you can always remove it using some Renomat or nail polish remover, and start again.

Last edited:

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cork underneath the insole is approximately 5 millimeters deep. How that impacts the inside volume of the shoe really depends upon your individual foot, and nobody should really presume to tell you exactly what will happen. People carry themselves differently. Your pressure points will vary from someone else's. Your gait will be different. Generally, it is safe to assume that the shoe will loosen up. Where and how much is variable.
Thank you for the response.

Here is a picture of me wearing the leeds. The shoe fits fine, just a little snug like I mentioned earlier. Does the crease that forms when I bend my foot seem to be in the right place?

chris45

Reaction score
I realize this is not the proper thread for this question, but I would value the AEAT opinion on what to wear these with.

Black suede walkover bucks I got for an insane deal.
I like.. may I know about this insane deal?
biggrin.gif

edit -- disregard on deal question, I see your post above -- thanks.

Last edited:

mavrik13

Reaction score

Certainly looks fine for a pair of second quality shoes. I have a similar pair of Walnut Sanfords with some of the same streaking over the toe. I have gotten used to it, it adds a little bit of character, and you can't really notice from eye level.

It is tough buying seconds from AE here in Canada. Not only are you charged a ridiculous shipping fee, but you also have to pay a good amount of money to return the shoes. What I do is save up a couple pairs to return, and either drive them to an outlet if I'm passing through (I drive from Nova Scotia to Ontario once/twice a year, so can make a detour to the outlet in Maine - it is like going to heaven) or ship back a couple pairs at a time to lessen the shipping costs. Still tough to swallow though.

WICaniac

Reaction score

I can certainly see this falling within the acceptable range for 2nds. I would do my best to polish the striations out of he shoe. I'm sorry that your experience purchasing online has been so unfavorable. For what it's worth, I've ordered seven pairs online (5 of them seconds) and never had an issue other than fit. I'd give them another shot. Not that I'm persuasive in such matters. My mother in law has foresworn Ford automobiles and all Kentucky restaurants on the basis of a single bad car in the early 70s and one bad meal in the 90s, and I haven't been able to shake her from her antipathies.

WICaniac

Reaction score
Thank you for the response.

Here is a picture of me wearing the leeds. The shoe fits fine, just a little snug like I mentioned earlier. Does the crease that forms when I bend my foot seem to be in the right place?
Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads