• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black suede bluchers on a rubber sole with blue laces have been my go-to shoe with blue and black jeans since around New Year's.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize this is not the proper thread for this question, but I would value the AEAT opinion on what to wear these with.

Black suede walkover bucks I got an insane deal.

I don't mind a little threadjacking when it's in the service of kicks like those. Makes me want to kop a pair. May I ask where you got them? I've been curious about Walk-Overs for a while.

wonsmithr8

Reaction score
call the same person that took your order. they will send you a label, which you can print out.

FYI, I just found out the $10 restocking fee applies only if you use their prepaid shipping label. Otherwise, if you ship it back on your own dime, there's no restocking fee.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back my fifth avenues from the cobbler to replace the heels. By default, the fifth ave. has a black heel but my cobbler painted my heel area dark brown, the same color as my uppers.

Does this make the shoe less formal?

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 8 last shoes have felt a bit loose of late so I ordered chili Vernon's from the latest seconds sale in both 8.5D (same as my black Vernons) and 8D. Lo and behold, after 2 years of wearing proper shoes, I realize 8D is the correct fit. Unfortunately, I'll have to send them back due to this gash...

I'll get some inserts for my other 8 last shoes, I reckon.

FWIW, I posted a while back about a pair of Vernon seconds that had a similar gash in them. Everyone I asked about them (including Vincenzo at the SB) said to send them back, but in the hopes of finding someone who would tell me what I wanted to hear
wink.gif
I took them to my local cobbler. There I was told that the defect was probably the result of a stray stitching needle, and while there was nothing that would make it go away, it wasn't that deep and the look would probably improve over time with consistent polishing.

My Vernons are black and I intend to wear them fewer than 10x/year, so I've made the decision to hold on to them at least for now. I've been wanting them for a while and I can put up with quite a bit of cosmetic defect for $149.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got back my fifth avenues from the cobbler to replace the heels. By default, the fifth ave. has a black heel but my cobbler painted my heel area dark brown, the same color as my uppers.

Does this make the shoe less formal?

Just use edge dressing and make it black if that's what you want.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
I don't mind a little threadjacking when it's in the service of kicks like those. Makes me want to kop a pair. May I ask where you got them? I've been curious about Walk-Overs for a while.
Here they are:

http://www.saksoff5th.com/suede-mid...&x=walkover&start=1&location=2243&slotLoads=1

They were $80 when I bought them, bu I had previously purchased a Groupon which gave me a $60 gift certificate for $30. So, they ended up only costing me $50 (which is 80% off retail).
If rock climbing-yoga-stretch pants aren't welcome in your wardrobe...

I actually have a charcoal pair of Lululemon pants like these that I love. From afar, they actually look like dress pants. Most comfortable pants I own, actually. Thanks for the tip!

Might try them out with some light gray cords I have also. Do you think they would work with gray/white gingham shorts?

pablot

Reaction score
I bought a pair of brown Jermyn's, which are a superb fit for my feet. I wasn't quick enough to get them in black before AE discontinued the line. The Manchester is made on Last 97, so should be a good fit according to SE. Does anyone own either Jermyn and Manchester, or Park Avenue and Manchester, and if so are the fits roughly comparable.

Second question: Does anyone know the AE sales cycles (trying to figure out whether Manchester likely to go on sale in next few months or just break down and pay retail).

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought a pair of brown Jermyn's, which are a superb fit for my feet. I wasn't quick enough to get them in black before AE discontinued the line. The Manchester is made on Last 97, so should be a good fit according to SE. Does anyone own either Jermyn and Manchester, or Park Avenue and Manchester, and if so are the fits roughly comparable.

Second question: Does anyone know the AE sales cycles (trying to figure out whether Manchester likely to go on sale in next few months or just break down and pay retail).

I have the Jermyn and Manchester and both fit similarly.

Chris

AIK1891

Reaction score

I just received a pair of walnut Jermyn's from Allison to try on before ordering MTO Manchester (the merlot option was just discontinued hence my MTO). This was long after it had been gone from the website, and even longer since sold out in my size. The Jermyn fits me fine and Allison assures it is identical in shape to the Manchester so I'm going ahead with the merlot Manchester order (and I'm keeping the walnut Jermyn's which I thought I'd missed the boat on!).

I won't have my Manchester's for a while to compare side-by-side to the Jermyn's, but I'm confident in the assurances.

On a related note, you could always ask first if a black Jermyn is still available somewhere like I scored with the walnut, or in the alternative if could you get black in a special order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads