• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sooooooooo i just got back from the Philly AE store, yes walked through the many inches of snow, and can now report that 5 of my 10 pairs of AEs are likely the wrong size. On the 5 last I have been buying 11.5Ds but once they broke in they were too loose, well I confirmed that I should be buying 11D instead.

This is quite a bummer but I guess its good to know now before I continue my shoe shopping. The SA gave me some tongue pads to help take up some room in the shoe, lets see how that works.

Sounds like it's time to buy 5 more pairs!!!

Seriously, this happened to me too. I'm 11 3e on the brannock, so had been buying that size. Soon enough discovered 10.5 3e fit me better across all AE lasts

AIK1891

Reaction score

What do you guys think about Allen Edmonds offering of custom neumoks for $199? What last do these run? I normally wear 9.5 EEE with my Strand and Park Avenues. Not sure what size to get in this.

My two pairs from last year have been very satisfying (pictures posted a few pages back), and they were designed with colors that could function every day.

For this year, I already have different MTOs in the pipeline so I'm not so active on these Neumok's right now. But I am strongly considering an all white make up or a black/white spectator; I think either should be the best value I could find for comfortable summer weekend shoes ... I'm just uncertain as to how much use I could expect from an all white or black/white in the next year or so in order to justify them :confused:

wonsmithr8

Reaction score
For factory seconds returns, did you guys call the shoe bank to return them? Thanks

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it's time to buy 5 more pairs!!!

Seriously, this happened to me too. I'm 11 3e on the brannock, so had been buying that size. Soon enough discovered 10.5 3e fit me better across all AE lasts

Bought the Long Branches based on my sneaker size...lol 13E they are bit loose but nothing a comfy sock couldn't fit, then bought the Boca Raton Walnut in 13E and they were snug...found this place and the light went off. I am a moron....so I bought about 15 - 20 pairs of AE shoes on Ebay in various styles to get an idea of what a broke in pair would feel like and for the price of admission it was an eye opening experience.

I am keeping several of the shoes as they are just a perfect fit and will be re-selling others - Even got a pair of Shell's for under $150 that looked pretty aweful though soles were in great shape still and sent them to AE for refinishing and they are beautiful. They fit well so may end up keeping them -I got a pair of Wilberts for $12 and sent them in for full re-crafting just to see how they would come back and they look nearly new.

Bottom line for me is that even if I end up losing a few hundred bucks on the buying and selling process I am ok with it as I now know what fits and what does not.

I also picked up some Nettleton's and vintage Florsch's in shell and sent them to B Nelson just to see what the outcome will be.

Can not wait to learn to polish a shoe properly. After 20 years in sneakers and casual shoes - loving this transition to AE shoes - I go with bold styles mostly gunboats, morgans, broadstreets, shoes with weave, Neumok's(getting a few of the web gem customs), Shelton etc.

Love reading everyone's posts - thanks for sharing all the knowledge!

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure the AE store SAs work at least partly on commission. Does anyone happen to know if the managers do too, and/or what the commission structure is?
Are you sure they are taking home part of the sales? I used to work retail at a shoe store and they tracked how much we sold, but we did not get a direct cut of the sales.
I would return both of those personally.
Agreed. There is no way to fix that. without getting a new piece of leather cut and having the whole shoe reconstructed.
Here is a picture of a pair of Daltons in a dress. I saw it on AE Instagrams site about 2 weeks ago and posted the link here but I don't think anyone has a chance to see it.
Found her Instagram's site and it looks like she have been wearing AE for quite some time. Other pictures can be seen here (including the Mora 2.0, Patriots, PAs, FAs, ...) Great to know that we men are not the only ones who appreciate AE shoes.
IMO, this is a fad and like most women's trends will fall out of fashion.
Second quality shells go on sale for $299 twice a year. Are there any annual or semi-annual deals for first quality shells? Thanks.
Rediscover sale.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For factory seconds returns, did you guys call the shoe bank to return them? Thanks
call the same person that took your order. they will send you a label, which you can print out.

Last edited:

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on these for recrafting?

I should have paid more attention to the sole. I think these are down to the insole...

nu7ybenu.jpg

8ynuqehy.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WICaniac

Reaction score
These were waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday. No idea why they are seconds. They fit great and I went with the same size I wear in 1-511 and 7-97 which is my Brannock size. On the website they are clearance priced at $277 for firsts at the moment (I paid $199 for seconds). Anyone remember what they were going for retail firsts before they went on clearance? Love these!

I had the same boot in black waiting for me, but it's only for sizing purposes for my MTO. While I would have far less use for the black than the chili or the dark brown, I nevertheless fell in love instantly and feel as though I may regret sending them back.

Sooooooooo i just got back from the Philly AE store, yes walked through the many inches of snow, and can now report that 5 of my 10 pairs of AEs are likely the wrong size. On the 5 last I have been buying 11.5Ds but once they broke in they were too loose, well I confirmed that I should be buying 11D instead.

This is quite a bummer but I guess its good to know now before I continue my shoe shopping. The SA gave me some tongue pads to help take up some room in the shoe, lets see how that works.
Funny--I also learned that I was a half size too big at that store. Perhaps the same SA (tall, skinny, younger guy--natty dresser with a pack of cigs in his breast pocket)? Luckily, I was only one pair in at the time.

Are you sure they are taking home part of the sales? I used to work retail at a shoe store and they tracked how much we sold, but we did not get a direct cut of the sales.
Agreed. There is no way to fix that. without getting a new piece of leather cut and having the whole shoe reconstructed.
IMO, this is a fad and like most women's trends will fall out of fashion.
Rediscover sale.

I asked Mike at SB II whether he was on commission, and he said yes.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The black Shaker Heights are rare and quite sharp-looking, I must say, despite being less versatile. I would definitely hold onto them.

WICaniac

Reaction score
One more thing: can anyone comment on the durability of the Independence lining vis-a-vis the standard lining? I was pleasantly surprised at how soft the standard lining in the Shaker Heights is, and I'm worried that the softer-yet sheepskin Independence lining may wear more quickly where my heel pulls in and out of the boot. I will probably invest in a longer shoe horn (in real horn, perhaps) to avoid trouble down the road, but I'm nevertheless inclined to favor durability over other concerns with the lining.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
My 8 last shoes have felt a bit loose of late so I ordered chili Vernon's from the latest seconds sale in both 8.5D (same as my black Vernons) and 8D. Lo and behold, after 2 years of wearing proper shoes, I realize 8D is the correct fit. Unfortunately, I'll have to send them back due to this gash...

I'll get some inserts for my other 8 last shoes, I reckon.

Last edited:

OptoDoc

Reaction score
I realize this is not the proper thread for this question, but I would value the AEAT opinion on what to wear these with.

Black suede walkover bucks I got for an insane deal.

Last edited:

WICaniac

Reaction score
On a non-AE related note, as I respect you gentleman's opinion, what would you wear with these?

Black suede walkover bucks I got for a super price.
Funny. I'm wearing charcoal prAna Zion pants around the house today and wondered what shoes (not sold at REI) they would go with. I think you just answered my question! If rock climbing-yoga-stretch pants aren't welcome in your wardrobe, I'd think any slim fit, flat front trousers in a lighter grey would look good with those. It's overpriced for the quality, but Banana Republic sells a lot of pants that I can envision with those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics