• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does AE water proofer compare to Alden's leather defender? My purpose is to put them on shell shoes, but wanted to get some feedback first.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

How does AE water proofer compare to Alden's leather defender? My purpose is to put them on shell shoes, but wanted to get some feedback first. 

I have the same question! I can go buy AE's quite easily. I have to order leather defender.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the same question! I can go buy AE's quite easily. I have to order leather defender.

From AE's site:

SPRAY WATERPROOFER FOR SUEDE, NUBUCK, AND FABRIC SHOES BY ALLEN EDMONDS

• Non-silicon aerosol spray-on stain protector and water repellent
  • Provides a layer of protection against dirt and water on suede, fabric, and nubuck shoes
  • 155 g (5.5 oz)
  • Made in the USA
  • Not recommended for calfskin or cordovan shoes with a burnished finish

Last line is the important one.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, and thanks for the reply. I do have some Bourbon Daltons and Brown Burnished PAs - what is recommended to condition these shoes prior to applying the premium shoe polish? I really don't want to lose the Bourbon color in particular. Does the premium shoe polish have enough conditioner in it on its own to suffice as being the only product used on these shoes?

I have a similar concern in taking care of my Rutledges. I don't want to ruin them but do want to take care of them properly.

I think this may come down to anecdotal evidence that will require people who have owned the models in question for a longer period of time to chime in on their experience. I can speak towards the brown burnished, by saying that using Conditioner/Cleaner and Dark Brown Premium Polish gives results that are just fine. The burnishing on those models isn't significant enough to split hairs over in my experience.

I have abstained from the bourbon models myself, for a couple of reasons. The color isn't exactly my cup of tea, but more than that, the fact that it isn't color fast has kept me from being interested enough to buy them. If they were made from calfskin that is tanned in that specific color, I may be slightly more interested in them. However, since they are Walnut shoes burnished to the color you see in their final form using black polish on a burnishing wheel, I had reservations about keeping them properly colored from the day they first appeared. Now that AE has released a Bourbon polish, the issue will hopefully be mitigated a bit, but time will tell. I haven't seen the Bourbon polish in person.

I am sure AE would say to use Conditioner/Cleaner followed by Bourbon polish, and that's probably what I would do as well, for what it's worth. Skipping the Conditioner/Cleaner and going straight to the Premium Polish will probably be ok, but certainly not if you are using Carnuba wax instead of Premium Polish. Only using Carnuba wax will dry out your shoes and they will crack.

Almost no shoes remain their original color, and that's just something you have to accept. You can use "neutral" polishes and conditioners, but there will still be some changes that take place, and you still have to account for what to do when you end up with a scuff that requires color correction. Personally, I choose my shoe purchases based on the ability to maintain them reasonably close to their original color that attracted me to them in the first place. Then, I just take the plunge on taking care of them and embrace the minor changes that happen as a result. Rip off the Band-Aid, so to speak, rather than delaying the inevitable.

I know others will disagree, but I take as simple of an approach as I can with my shoe care, while ensuring they last as long as possible. I know I am risking a generalization here, but I think those who are able to maintain their shoes with near out-of-box appearance for extremely long periods of time using neutral products are able to do so because of the size of their shoe rotation. If the shoes aren't worn terribly frequently, they are able to keep their "as-new" look for a long time. I don't approach shoes that way. I enjoy my shoes too much to only wear them once a month. I deliberately maintain a smaller shoe rotation and wear my shoes very regularly. Regular wear requires real maintenance, and real maintenance doesn't allow for fragile factory finishes to remain intact very long.

As a disclaimer, I say all of the above assuming that you aren't someone who enjoys playing around with changing finishes on your shoes. If you enjoy "playing" with the color of your shoes by testing out different color polishes, stripping, starting over, dying, adding oils, and so on, then throw everything I just said out the window.
biggrin.gif
That's a completely different scenario.

I like the Rutledge, but I don't own it. I suspect much of what I said above would apply to it as well.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I am a person who wears my shoes and I do rotate between the now 4 AE's I have. The Rutledges are by far my favorite so I think I wear them more often. They are new, about a month into my wearing so much of my questions regarding care is getting ahead of the curve of what I'll need to be dealing with. I've polished and waxed them so far but not yet used the conditioner cleaner on them. But I have ordered it and will use it in my polishing process. It's recommended by AE to use it so I don't suspect I'll have issue with it as long as I use it properly. Thats my hopes anyways.

Scottyb06

Reaction score
How good is this shoe bank sell compared to the other recent sales?
Based upon the list provided for my size, it's no different than any other sale but worse than the last one. For example, the Brooks Brothers branded Fifth Avenue is $150 but qualified for 2 for $250 on the most recent sale. I can't speak to a Black Friday sale because I've only been with AE since February. However, with the exception of 2 for $250, each sale has essentially been the same but used a different name or holiday for the sale.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have it but used it only once or twice with the mixed results. I ended up having the the peel from the Swims' lining all over my suede Neumoks.

I think that inner liner is too sensitive and rubs off easily, happens to mine.

But you should note that they tell you not to wear them with suede shoes because... why would you wear suede in the rain?! (rough quote taken from Swims).

I think the Swims are a good investment considering the cost of the shoes you are protecting. Obviously they primarily cover the bottoms and sides of the shoes but some protection is better than none. You can always get the Swims boots for complete protection.

Grab them while you can at 25% off!

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on using them with calfskin and cordovan as needed. Mostly as protection against salt during snowy days, I think they will be a good buy. Tingleys are far too ugly for me.

cincikid

Reaction score
I think that inner liner is too sensitive and rubs off easily, happens to mine.

But you should note that they tell you not to wear them with suede shoes because... why would you wear suede in the rain?! (rough quote taken from Swims).

I think the Swims are a good investment considering the cost of the shoes you are protecting. Obviously they primarily cover the bottoms and sides of the shoes but some protection is better than none. You can always get the Swims boots for complete protection.

Grab them while you can at 25% off!

I hear your/Swimms point regarding the suede. However, even during the hottest days here in NJ often we often have unexpected (by me, at least) rains and thunderstorms. I keep a pair of Swimms in my office just for those occasions.

cincikid

Reaction score
Based upon the list provided for my size, it's no different than any other sale but worse than the last one. For example, the Brooks Brothers branded Fifth Avenue is $150 but qualified for 2 for $250 on the most recent sale. I can't speak to a Black Friday sale because I've only been with AE since February. However, with the exception of 2 for $250, each sale has essentially been the same but used a different name or holiday for the sale.

Some folks here might also recall the Halcyon days of 2 for $200 sales for the seconds (and, somehow I was also able to stack the sole4soul $35(x2) off on top of it). but I agree, 2 for $250 is as good as it gets these days for the closeouts, plus Brooks and RL.

This said though, this is still a great deal for the "regular" seconds, i.e. not the close-out styles.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's the difference between a close-out and a regular pair?

Close outs are just discontinued styles, like players, neumora, spiaggia, amok, etc

DJTraveler

Reaction score
The Clearance section is back up on the website. All clearance shoes get an extra 15% at checkout. Looks like several of the golf shoe models have just been added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads