1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jungleroller

jungleroller Distinguished Member

I'll take a look at that thread but the more I think about it the more I realize they were a pipe dream in wear-ability. Sometimes you need to hear what you don't want to hear.

2. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

For what it sounds like you are after, I would get some Conditioner/Cleaner to use before you polish. That will clean and nourish the leather, and keep it in great shape. Once it's had a chance to dry for a few minutes, use the Premium Shoe Polish in the color of your choice. It will keep the shoes in great shape, will clean up scuffs, and will add back color.

If you are after a high shine (more mirror like) such as what you see in plenty of photos around here, then you have to use Carnuba wax. Otherwise, there isn't much reason to use it. A layer of wax will add some protection from rain, but I think it's a bit over rated for that purpose personally. Others may disagree.

The Premium Shoe Polish will impart a healthy glow, but not a mirror shine. Also, the Premium Shoe Polish does have wax in it, just not anywhere near as much as the Carnuba Wax Polish. Thus, some water protection is provided from it as well.

Once all that is done, follow up with some heel/sole edge dressing.

The other products you see on their website, and that you mention above, are more purpose/leather specific, and you probably don't need to worry about them at this point. Keep it simple.

As for the Conditioner/Cleaner removing color, I haven't had that issue with the main color of the leather itself. However, I can say that it will remove added burnishing that is on top of the original leather color (black polish added with a polishing wheel, such as in AE's Bourbon shoes). I have a pair of burnished walnut shoes that are now pretty much just walnut. I'm ok with that though.

3. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

The closest AE equivalent would be chili.

4. Fouracle

Fouracle Member

Anyone have experience with the sizing for Fifth Ave? The size chart in Allen Edmonds gives me 8.5D but I've heard this runs narrow so I'm considering 8.5E. I live in Canada so it's hard for me to find a place to try it on and returns are a huge hassle. Any thoughts appreciated.

5. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

8.5E would be your best bet. As you said, the 5 last runs a bit long and narrow. Some folks might advice you to try 8E, but I am more comfortable in my true size + one width up. Note though, that I do go 1/2 size down on most AE rough collection shoes made on the 5 last (Neumok and McTavish).

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

6. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

Thanks! I looked it up on the forum after I saw your comment.
    My concern now is that AE only puts Dainite on a single sole, but I hope they can apply a midsole between the welt and the sole.

7. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I don't believe they do. Good luck, tho!

8. esk8mw

esk8mw Active Member

Interesting, and thanks for the reply. I do have some Bourbon Daltons and Brown Burnished PAs - what is recommended to condition these shoes prior to applying the premium shoe polish? I really don't want to lose the Bourbon color in particular. Does the premium shoe polish have enough conditioner in it on its own to suffice as being the only product used on these shoes?

9. movoblast

movoblast Senior Member

You were right. I purchased my 3 pairs already and I'm already looking for more. This is an ADDICTION!

I ended up with the brown cordovan strands ($299 seconds sale), the walnut strands ($170), and cappuccino cordovan mcallisters ($299 seconds sale). I'm already past my budget but I MUST HAVE MORE ALLEN EDMONDS haha!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

10. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

Welcome to the club. I wish we could offer you some group therapy, but I believe there's no cure.

11. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

There is one cure. MORE ALLEN EDMONDS!

12. stgrim

stgrim Senior Member

Hi guys,

I am sorely tempted by Allison's 15% off MTO offers and am considering a bayfield in cappucino cordovan.
    I need some sizing help.

I wear 8.5E in the 5-last, 9D in the 1-last, 9E in the Daltons, 9E in the 2-last (New Orleans and RL Saunders) and 8.5E in the 3-last (Neumora).
    What should I get in the bayfield?

Thank you so much for your advice and here's to Allison getting overwhelmed with new MTO offers lol!

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

I have resigned myself to the sad reality that AE will be fresh out if cappuccino shell before Allison returns my call. :(

Fortunately, the brown shell strand that I just ordered from the shoe bank for 299 should cushion the blow :)

14. jungleroller

jungleroller Distinguished Member

I have a similar concern in taking care of my Rutledges. I don't want to ruin them but do want to take care of them properly.

15. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior Member

Interested in the suede Strands for $345. More interested on sale at $289. Sold at $229 (seconds) :) Should be here before Friday...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.