Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

As I only own 4 pairs this is easy to answer:
    1. PAs in shell, burgundy. They go with every suit and pair of trousers in my wardrobe and dress down (khakis and OCBD or polo) surprisingly well. I will not wear them with black but (despite opinions to the contrary on this forum) very well could.
    2. Jermyns in walnut. I've skipped right over the Strands and gone for the loafer because (as you're limiting us to 3 pairs) I have never been in a situation that demanded a brogued oxford. I love them and want a pair, but I honestly don't need them with PAs and the Jermyns in the rotation. Certain circumstances call for a loafer. The Grayson is a more traditional choice, but the Jermyn in walnut is simply spectacular. I saw them first on the feet of a salesman in the Philly store then bought mine from the DC store, where the manager opined that it was the best looking shoe in the store and wondered (with me) why demand wasn't strong enough to keep this model going.
    3. Leeds in shell, black. I own a black suit. I own military uniforms. Neither look good without shoes.

My fourth pair are Mayfairs for the same reason: tuxedos require shoes.

Has anyone seen the piece in Delta's SKY magazine on classic American brands such as AE, Red Wing, Woolrich, and Pendleton becoming highly sought-after brands in the Asian market? It's very interesting but potentially dangerous, as the article describes these as high-quality yet expensive status symbols--and I don't need my wife to see pictures of my two most recent shoe purchases (PAs and Red Wing Beckman chukkas) on two consecutive pages in this context.

Finally, a question: I need shoe trees and know to get them from Norstrom Rack. Yet I wear an 11E in most AE lasts and an 11 1/2 in most other cases. This puts me in two different sizes of Nordstrom Rack trees, which I'd like to avoid. Does anyone know if I can make to with either their 11-and-down or their 11.5-and-up size?

2. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I am on the cusp of small and medium and I found it better to size down. The spring mechanism will make up for any .5 variations. I find the smalls easier to put in and take out but they still expand enough in the shoe. YMMV. They are cheap enough to buy one of each and return what you don't like, though.

3. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Why not? This is what accompanied my grey suit today. I don't know what my boss thought, in general he likes that I make an impression. But more importantly, my lunch date practically squealed with delight.

[​IMG]

One question: "so what's this shoe bank thing?". Now, five more pairs of AE...trying not to go look at the sale...

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I know jos a bank has them on sale right now, but I really want to pounce when the have the buy one get 3 free sales and all that. If people hear of anything like that please post it up. I think they're half off at Jos A. Bank right now so I might have to grab a few after my next check!
    I think tan/whiskey/cognac shoes often look better with gray/navy suits.

Is there any way to dull down the shine on shoes that are patent leather. I have two pairs of JM's like that. They're decent except I wish they weren't quite so mirrored.

I've never used it so I'll defer the shoe bank question, but I think it's where everyone gets the firsts and seconds from. You email the bank and they send you everything on hand in your size with price. Woot!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  5. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

How good is this shoe bank sell compared to the other recent sales?

6. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Any of you guys use the Swim galoshes/overshoes? I live in NYC and was wondering what your thoughts were. I was going to take advantage of the Brooks Brothers sale to pick up a pair.

Edit: I figured I'd ask here since AE sells them as well :)

7. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Are the Daltons $199 seconds right now? How do Daltons fit compared to Park Avenue? Same size?

8. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

I don't know how they fit, but they are $199.

9. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I have it but used it only once or twice with the mixed results. I ended up having the the peel from the Swims' lining all over my suede Neumoks.

10. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

This actually reminded me that I had these. I guess that means I should sell them.

11. green garden

green garden Senior member

Can they make it any easier? [​IMG]

12. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

I think that inner liner is too sensitive and rubs off easily, happens to mine.

But you should note that they tell you not to wear them with suede shoes because... why would you wear suede in the rain?! (rough quote taken from Swims).

I think the Swims are a good investment considering the cost of the shoes you are protecting. Obviously they primarily cover the bottoms and sides of the shoes but some protection is better than none. You can always get the Swims boots for complete protection.

Grab them while you can at 25% off!

13. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Jos. A. Bank is--today only--offering a buy 2, get 3 free sale on many items, to include shoe trees. I just called my local store to confirm and cleaned them out of my size--5 pair for $50!

14. Mulligan142

Mulligan142 Member

What is Allison's email or phone number?

15. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Fifth Avenues for $239...your killin me AE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.