• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatback

Reaction score
I don't, but I will take one the next time I wear them. I had to drive to Denver to see them in a person and it was definitely worth the trip. Both colors look very different in person than they do online. The neumok looks a lot better in person as well. I had no interest int the blue neumok until I saw it in the store.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see no difference between them other than the lasts they are made on.

Bingo. Below is a terribly-lit side-by-side with the PA (on the 5 last, same as the Fifth Avenue) and the Byron (on the 4 last):

The 4 last has a slightly less rounded and more chiseled toe.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of walnut fifth ave's that have some minor water spot damage.. before I likely destroy them via an amateurish try at removal of the spots, is there an effective method?

i'm also tossing around the idea of sending them in for new soles, would a cleaning of the uppers/hopeful removal of said water spots be available via AE?

lastly, is there a general price for AE to resole with direct replacement leather sole?

thanks in advance!!!

fashionnoob

Reaction score

I think I'm leaning McTavish as well, but I'm having trouble deciding between Cognac, Natural, and Brown, in that order. I basically want an "everyday" sort of shoe to wear mainly with jeans or chinos. Brown seems the lamest from the AE website, but I can never trust that. Natural feels like it would be the most versatile, but I kinda like the red of the Cognac. If anyone has any pictures of these (especially compared to each other), that would really help. Short of that, I think I need to drive up to Dallas to see them in person.

I'd get the Cognac or the Brown, in that order. I ordered the Natural a year ago and it was very light. I applied a coat of Obenauf's to the pair, and they now have a pretty nice look that roughly approximates the Cognac. I think the lightness of the Natural contrasts too much with darker denim and pants. I would actually say it's the least versatile of the three.

itsmejson

Reaction score
Definitely thinking about picking up a pair of lubbocks since they are on sale. So far i've only seen one pic here of the lubbocks in the wild. Does anyone else have more pics of the lubbock?

elstinnett

Reaction score

I noticed that Amazon's selling the Strand for $249 for certain sizes. The Strand in 8.5-D, 8.5-3E, 8-D and 8-3E are all selling for $249 right now (and lot of the D and 3E in other sizes as well). I also have the %20 discount coupon so I'm able to get it for under $200.
I have the Dalton in 8.5D, and it fits well except the right foot feels slightly tight. For the Dalton at least, I'm pretty sure my true size is an 8 E. But I think it will break in and feel okay. I know it's always best to try on a pair, but I was wondering if anyone with both the Dalton and Strand could compare the sizing between the two?
I am thinking about ordering the Strand in 8 3E.
Thanks!

I picked up a pair of the Strands and Dalton's in Walnut this weekend from Amazon with the 20% off coupon. I should receive them on Tuesday so I'll give an update when I receive them.

Now I just need to decide what I want for my next purchase. Park Ave. in black, Strand in Walnut, and Dalton in walnut. I was originally planning to pick up the Strand in bourbon, but I decides to go with walnut while also picking up a brown Oxford. Thinking of a brown Fifth Ave. Mostly looking for a dressy brown for suits. Any thoughts?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of walnut fifth ave's that have some minor water spot damage.. before I likely destroy them via an amateurish try at removal of the spots, is there an effective method?

i'm also tossing around the idea of sending them in for new soles, would a cleaning of the uppers/hopeful removal of said water spots be available via AE?

lastly, is there a general price for AE to resole with direct replacement leather sole?

thanks in advance!!!

AE will refinish the shoes as part of their standard package ($125.00). This will also include replacing the sole with another single oak leather sole just like the original. See their website for details: http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/...iew?catalogId=40000000001&langId=-1&storeId=1

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys I noticed my two pairs of AE's have a bit of a curl on the toes. They are not fully touching rye ground. Is this normal? I have always had shoe trees in them.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AE will refinish the shoes as part of their standard package ($125.00).  This will also include replacing the sole with another single oak leather sole just like the original.  See their website for details: http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/...iew?catalogId=40000000001&langId=-1&storeId=1

Just sent in my black shell Leeds for the 125 package. Based on my previous AE recraft experiences, I should be getting essentially a brand new pair of shoes in about 4 weeks. :nodding:

tgt465

Reaction score

Guys I noticed my two pairs of AE's have a bit of a curl on the toes. They are not fully touching rye ground. Is this normal? I have always had shoe trees in them.

Shoes normally curl a little at the toe, to help prevent dragging as you walk. Here is a picture of the Park Avenues from AE's web site:

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have them nearby so I measured. my well worn fifth ave's are about 1.25" curled up

Firefox

Reaction score
Bingo. Below is a terribly-lit side-by-side with the PA (on the 5 last, same as the Fifth Avenue) and the Byron (on the 4 last):

The 4 last has a slightly less rounded and more chiseled toe.
Thanks for the shot; that's a great comparison.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found these deadstock Boulevards. Any of you ever saw this style? I think they are 5 last. posting the pics to make a record of it on AE thread.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,
another sizing question. I am looking at AE Neumora and need your help regarding fit.
I have 3 pairs of AE -

5th St boot 8.5D a bit loose - Feels a bit too long - should've got it in 8 D

Strand 8EEE way too loose. I use one thick insole- feels way too wide and way too long- should've got them in 7.5EE or 7.5EEE or even 8D

Grayson 8.5B - Fits perfect. Tight fit. A bit of straggle to get them on. I think its becos of the low vamp.But 8D could've worked out better.

What would be my perfect size on Neumora ?

Thanks for your assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads