Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

2. md2010

md2010 Senior member

The strand has wired sizing. I bought 8EEE and have 2 insoles. Where as my 5th street boots in 8.5D fits fine.

3. MoneyWellSpent

They do fill entirely different wardrobe niches though. Sure, they have the exact same broguing pattern, but the McAllister is a casual dress shoe. The McTavish is a dressy casual shoe. The McTavishes with their heavier leather and double soles are meant for denim or chinos while the McAllisters are still dress shoes for the office but on the more casual side due to their heavy broguing.

4. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

Just to bump the question above: Anyone know the answer? They look identical to me:

Byron:
    [​IMG]

Fifth Avenue:
    [​IMG]

5. MoneyWellSpent

I see no difference between them other than the lasts they are made on.

6. 0ShinAkuma0

0ShinAkuma0 Active Member

The only difference I see is the stitching that is parallel to the laces have different angles.

7. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I think I'm leaning McTavish as well, but I'm having trouble deciding between Cognac, Natural, and Brown, in that order. I basically want an "everyday" sort of shoe to wear mainly with jeans or chinos. Brown seems the lamest from the AE website, but I can never trust that. Natural feels like it would be the most versatile, but I kinda like the red of the Cognac. If anyone has any pictures of these (especially compared to each other), that would really help. Short of that, I think I need to drive up to Dallas to see them in person.

8. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

...same here. Are they both leather soles?

9. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

I am personally not a big fan of the double oak sole. It adds a bit more weight to the shoe of which I am not a big fan. Just my two cents.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

10. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Honestly, that's my biggest hangup with them as well. Maybe that's all the more reason for me to see them in person first.

11. Russell Lee

Russell Lee Member

12. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

I think the Cronmok and Aberdeen are terrific everyday shoes to wear with jeans or chinos. I have both and love them!

13. fatback

fatback New Member

I was in a similar situation with trying to decide between the cognac and natural in the McTavish. I went to the AE store planning to buy the natural after looking at the pictures online. After seeing them and trying them on I ended up going with the cognac. I love the look of the natural, but I don't think it's as versatile as the cognac. To me the natural looks great with dark jeans with, but not as good with lighter pants. AE's website photos are terrible at accurately reflecting how their shoes look in person.

14. atoms

atoms Senior member

I have the natural McTavish. The cognac color is misleading on the AE photos. The natural have a hue leaning more towards "red" than a "baseball glove tan". I've applied a few coats of leather conditioner on them which slightly darkened them but not by much. I have this photo that shows them pretty well against some plain Levi's. Women haven't been shy in complementing them, they are somewhat attention grabbing. I only wear them with jeans or khaki pants. They take some getting used to given the double oak leather sole so check sizing carefully.

[​IMG]

Edit: I just read what fatback posted and we're definitely on the same page. They are really great shoes though if it's the look you're after.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

15. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Thanks for the quick response, and presumably for going through the registration process just to reply. Welcome!

Interesting, it sounds like the exact same situation. Now that you mention it, I can see how Natural might not work well with light chinos.

I don't suppose you have a pic of your Cognacs with jeans that you think shows a representative color?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.