1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Interesting! Now it's even more confusing. ;) Other than being a double sole version of the Finch, what's the difference? Different insoles?

2. zchen

zchen Senior member

yes, like other BB vesions it has poron insole.

3. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I like the poron insole. Makes the shoe really comfortable for extended wear.

4. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

I have been saving up for strands, but I could not say no to these for $82

[​IMG]

This will be my first "new" AE purchase, I can't wait!

5. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Funny enough, I almost mentioned that shoe to you yesterday when we were having the initial conversation. I held back not wanting to complicate your decision, but I guess since it has been brought up, I will go ahead with what I was going to say. At first glance, it seems to be a double sole version of the Finch, but it isn't quite that simple. I think it is more appropriately called a "Rough Shelton" but I don't think it is quite as successful as the Finch in style as a "rough" shoe. I think the BB version suffers from a lack of balance by having the small naked eyelets, while the Finch looks better with the larger metal eyelets. Also, the Finch has the broguing stripe that follows the line of the eyelets, where the BB version doesn't. These traits don't bother me on the Shelton, being that it is a dressier shoe, but for some reason they make the BB shoe look unbalanced to me. I think the Finch is just purely better looking than the BB shoe, and unless you are dead set on the double sole, I'd go with the Finch.

The BB shoe will have the Poron insole and the rubber tap sole as others said above. Md2010 said above that he thinks they are better for extended wear from a comfort perspective, and I have no reason to debate that. I have said in the past that I think the long term durability of the shoes will suffer with a Poron insole rather than the natural leather insoles that traditional AE's have. Also, you are no stranger to AE's natural leather insoles given the extent of your existing collection, so you are in a good position to evaluate the comfort level of wearing shoes all day with the natural leather insoles.

Finally, consider the fact that the BB shoe is made of the same leather as the Elgin, and as you said yesterday, you were hesitant to get another shoe that looks too similar to your current styles and wanted to branch out a bit. I think the BB shoe will blend in with your other holdings in your collection much more than the Shelton or Finch, for what it's worth.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  6. MoneyWellSpent

That's quite a value at that price. Hope you enjoy them!

7. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

Sweet, sweet bourbon.

8. Bzack

Bzack Active Member

First post, yippee!

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing as you. My question is what did you do on sizing? I'm a 10D on the 3-333 (Parkway's) and 5 (Fifth Ave) last but a 10.5D on the 4-444 (Cortland's) last. I was thinking 10D but wanted some opinions on how the handsewn 800 last fits.

Thanks.

9. Bzack

Bzack Active Member

First post, yippee!

I was thinking of purchasing the Yuma's as well. My question is of course sizing. I'm a 10D on the 3-333 (Parkway's) and 5 (Fifth Ave) last but a 10.5D on the 4-444 (Cortland's) last. I was thinking 10D but wanted some opinions on how the handsewn 800 last fits.

Thanks.

10. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

So my Saphir Reno has been going down in quanity considerably over the last couple months. I guess i use it more than i though... ha. Anyways, I switched back to my barely used conditioner cleaner from AE last night for my walnut strands.

It worked ok, but I will say that nothing can touch Saphir. The AE conditioner really moistened the leather, far beyond what I was used to with the Saphir. After 5 or so minutes, I took the brush to it, only to find out that it left a dull, tacky finish to the shoe. No worries, I touched up a few other pairs while I let these dry up a little more. End result, the leather does feel very supple, but the shine is no where near the finish of the reno. Still works good, but a longer dry time is definitely necessary.

11. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Very very nice. Are those burnished brown strands? The pics are pretty dark, can't tell if they are cordovan or not, the shine looks great on them.

12. MoneyWellSpent

So are you saying that you think Saphir is or isn't worth paying exponentially more money for? [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Oh no, its definitely worth it. I just went through 3/4 of the jar in 2 months haha. Granted, I used it on two shell pairs I sold, and I did my shell strands a couple times to get the original polish off of them. At the end of the day, the whole jar is probably good for 15-20 runs... so spending a little over $1 for each pair is still well well worth it IMO.

AE is a good back up

14. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior member

If you're only getting 15-20 shoes out of a jar then chances are you are probably using way too much each time...especially if some of those were shell. I have size 12 and 13 shoes and have probably gotten at least 30 or so uses out of my most recent jar so far, with about 1/2 of it remaining.

15. ddgdl

ddgdl Well-Known Member

After doing 8 pairs of shoes so far, I can barely tell the jar I have been using apart from the unopened one.

16. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

These. I think you are supposed to use this very sparingly.

I have both Saphir Reno and the AE cleaner/conditioner (as well as Venetian Shoe Cream), and I've been experimenting with all three. I always start with just a tiny amount, so you can barely see the haze. That in itself does a noticeable job moisturizing the shoes.

I maybe use a little more with the AE cleaner, but that's because I'm actively pulling off dirt. But still a small, small amount.

17. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

If this is any help, I wear the same size in Kenwoods (800 last) as my Strands, Fifth Streets, and Cambridges (5 Last).

18. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

I basically shake the jar up a little bit and i use whatever sticks to the cap, lightly dip the AE dauber in that, and do the entire shoe in about 5 sections. First I start with the cap, then the vamp, sides, and finally the back. Maybe my inventory level is a little off and i have more than i thought, but i know i don't use much at all. i'll inspect once i get home and see what is left.

I know using the dauber uses a little more as well. I had probably 1/4 teaspoon on the cap and i was able to get almost full coverage as I was touching up my neumora's with a cotton cloth, no dauber. I was able to spread so little so much more...

19. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I am reminded of this gem from one of the elder gods of the forum:

3 people like this.
  20. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Does anyone have AE golf shoes? Any feedback?

My bday is in April and i'm thinking about putting AE GC's on the list that way I can get a pair. I know I don't need them, however I really don't have much else from AE i want at the moment, and it will be a pretty cool "extra" to have for golf.

I am thinking between the Medalist and the Double Eagle. Both are sharp looking, I prefer the Medalist (white/brown) however the brown Double Eagles might be a better idea since they are mesh and will breath better.

Thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.