• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrizzleCizzle

Reaction score
Somewhat judgemental comment, no, even considering your last sentence?

No (try to envision me saying all of this in a very nice, very understanding tone...don't read this as I'm arguing with you or yelling at you). A judgement results in an action, penalty, or award, and is presented as a reasonable fact or definition based on the arguments inherent to the point. Since I predicated none of these aspects in my monologue, you didn't witness a judgement; what you saw was my opinion (or, sic: belief). I make a point of this to support, as you include, my last sentence: I don't care. Wear what you want, how you want, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. I'm not judging you, calling you a moron, or writing you off as a definite stylistic snob if you roll your jeans. So please, bootspell or otherwise, don't confuse that comment as a judgement against anyone. And don't confuse this as a judgement against your or personal attack, I'm just taking the time to clarify.

moving on .................

This guy again?! Just kidding, wise words... we should probably talk about Allen Edmonds or something.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol you old geezers think this is a hipster look? this pic perfectly depicts how well this "look" can be worn, nothing more, nothing less. simple, masculine, casual, done

http://cdn.styleforum.net/1/12/12cbdffe_4f132e7f.jpeg

that second pic of the jeans rolled ALL the way up definitely does nothing for me, but something like the pic i posted, i do like

I'm 29 and I still think it looks terrible.

It's like fedoras . . . sure, occasionally a very fashionable and good-looking person may don one and not immediately repulse everyone, but that doesn't mean you should go out and try to emulate it. DC would still look a lot better without the silly cuffs.

Last edited:

PopFarmer

Reaction score
Not sure if it was mentioned anywhere earlier, but a SA told me the Kenwood loafer would be dis-continued soon.

Probably one of the reasons the 2nds are on sale for $129 right now. I was between those and the Waldens, and choose the Waldens due to their more classic style. I wasn't a fan of the pinking on the Kenwood and wojuld rather wear the shoe model that will be around longer.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No (try to envision me saying all of this in a very nice, very understanding tone...don't read this as I'm arguing with you or yelling at you). A judgement results in an action, penalty, or award, and is presented as a reasonable fact or definition based on the arguments inherent to the point. Since I predicated none of these aspects in my monologue, you didn't witness a judgement; what you saw was my opinion (or, sic: belief). I make a point of this to support, as you include, my last sentence: I don't care. Wear what you want, how you want, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. I'm not judging you, calling you a moron, or writing you off as a definite stylistic snob if you roll your jeans. So please, bootspell or otherwise, don't confuse that comment as a judgement against anyone. And don't confuse this as a judgement against your or personal attack, I'm just taking the time to clarify.

This guy again?! Just kidding, wise words... we should probably talk about Allen Edmonds or something.

Jeez, there're too many damned lawyers or people trying to talk like them on this forum!!
fight[1].gif

But I get your point. Giving and accepting opinions like yours and others on SF shouldn't be taken personally. On to discussions on AE...

GrensonMan

Reaction score
Just got my Fifth Streets in the mail. Overall, very pleased with the quality. The one thing I will have to watch as time goes on is wear on the outsole. Already have a minor ding from street wear.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks an awful lot like the neumok, but in a different color scheme (when I say an awful lot, i mean it is offered in colors and has the wingtip).

It is essentially a lined Neumok with a colored welt, mini-lug sole, and contrast stitching. Previously a WebGem, but the black and brown versions seem to be on the regular catalog now.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my Fifth Streets in the mail. Overall, very pleased with the quality. The one thing I will have to watch as time goes on is wear on the outsole. Already have a minor ding from street wear.

You are correct on the soles. They are much softer on these than any other boot or shoe I own from AE. They pick up rocks and stones easily:

This was after ~15 wears. I saddle soaped them then scraped with a dull serrated knife, then saddle soaped them again. As they were drying I continued to work small rocks and debris out of them with my fingers.

They cleaned up well except the procedure removed a lot of the dye from the leather. If you click on the bottom picture you can see the size of some of the craters that were left. I was tempted to apply HDLP at the time but will send them out for half soles so might as well keep them clean till then. Not a big fan of half soles (AKA toppy's) but in this case I think it may be a wise decision. However it is a great boot.

acousticfoodie

Reaction score

You are correct on the soles. They are much softer on these than any other boot or shoe I own from AE. They pick up rocks and stones easily:

This was after ~15 wears. I saddle soaped them then scraped with a dull serrated knife, then saddle soaped them again. As they were drying I continued to work small rocks and debris out of them with my fingers. 

They cleaned up well except the procedure removed a lot of the dye from the leather. If you click on the bottom picture you can see the size of some of the craters that were left. I was tempted to apply HDLP at the time but will send them out for half soles so might as well keep them clean till then. Not a big fan of half soles (AKA toppy's) but in this case I think it may be a wise decision. However it is a great boot. 

You wore them regularly for 15 years and never needed to replace the outer sole? Not bad.

horsey shoes

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads