Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Jjr4884, I'm in your camp. I roll my jeans depending on the occasion. The other camp just has a much more conservative approach to fashion.

2. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

Ahh, I believe the gentleman has a point, "Please award the gentleman named Mr. JJR4884, one point"...."Opposing team, NIL!" Please continue to play gentlemen but I must warn you that last point was a doozy, opposing players please pay heed, now...................play!

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Reread the comments - all of us were commenting on the second picture with the tight jeans rolled all the way up to show the full boot. No one commented on your picture that is similar to the Daniel Craig picture.

4. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

I would agree. The rolled up jeans look is good for younger hipsters and women. Every time I see this on men, I think it looks out of place.

5. poena

poena Senior member

so what are all you flat foot guys doing? I'm pretty flat footed and noticed a bulge on the shoe opening also.

6. chrisjr

chrisjr Senior member

sorry to repeat old comments, but is now the time to kop seconds or wait til the end of september (with best price & most selection in mind).

7. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

This.

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

True Statement - comments were limited to the second picture.

9. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior member

The second picture IS awful, unless of course you are on broadway. But to be polite, I simply refer to it as an... interesting... execution of the idea.

Concur. While I don't do it myself for a number of reasons, I think it can look just fine. Having said that, if I remove my aesthetic approach and address why I believe most men do it, it isn't out of their own sense of style, it's to showoff their jeans/brag a little/confirm they are on the bleeding edge of street style... something I have little interest in doing.

It's purported that the rolled jean look is an homage to working class men who, donning the boots of their trade and preparing to work in an otherwise less-than-pristine environment, rolled up their pants since they couldn't afford multiple pairs of pants (one short for work, one long for casual). If this is true, the nature of the look is anything but feminine. Having said that, the current patrons of the popped pant leg certainly don't fight the same battle, and most, I believe, do it for the reasons above.

Having said alllll of that - wear what you want how you want, don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

10. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Somewhat judgemental comment, no, even considering your last sentence?

11. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

lol...

ahhh... what threw me off was the "jeans rolled up over the boot".. i took that as "covering" the boot like the pics i posted. my bad... i also agree that rolling them all the way up is an abomination, looks terrible.

12. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Judgmental, on SF? Most of us are on the forum precisely because we're critical about style. Serious and snarky criticisms/commentaries are to be expected.

13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

14. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Some folks are just more fashion foward than others... just like some people like to paint their car orange and put huge ass rims on it.

Personally i think cuffing the jeans for a boot like that is necessary, but obviosly done in that over the top fashion just looks silly. I think its more of a "look at my boots look look look how high they go!!!"

15. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior member

Concur. And I try to predicate an allowance for people with sense by saying "most" or otherwise alluding to the idea that I am not a sage of all things clothing, just a man with an opinion. And, to put it all in a blanket, I remain grounded in: wear what you want, how you want, and let no one convince you otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.