• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinottawa

Reaction score
Any recommendations for overshoes?

I have a pair of Neos - They are pretty good, but when I first got them there was a rough bit of nylon on the inside which wound up damaging my shoes. So check them carefully if you get them, and maybe use a bit of sandpaper to smooth out any sharp parts. The insulated ones are fleece-lined and shouldn't have this problem.
http://www.overshoe.com/Pages/Product.aspx?category=Non-Insulated&cat=HLS-OVERSHOE&pid=VIS1

The other brand popular here is Acton. A bit more "old-school", but they work just fine. Also have a nice soft lining.
http://www.actoncanada.ca/en/product/a3232-11#a3232-11

In any event, as other posters have said, I think it's better to only use overshoes in the winter to the extent you have to, or for short excursions (i.e. if you have a 40 minute walk to work, leave your shoes at the office and wear proper boots for the walk). Even good overshoes are a bit awkward to walk in, and not great for your shoes.

TRIALnERROR

Reaction score
lol. I seized the day, but unfortunately I haven't seized the shoes... My Brannock measurements are 9 C for my left foot and 9 B/C (in between) for my right foot. AE didn't have these sizes in stock but called-in a 9C and 9B, they should be here by next Thursday. Hopefully this resolves the bowing issue for me. Phi Psi, do you have the Park Ave's? If so, what width did you ultimately decide? Thanks.
I tried both the 9C and 9B today to no avail. They were too tight and still exhibited the bowing, although it was less noticeable. I left the store with a pair of 9D's (the same pair I originally returned). I'm pretty disappointed as this is the most I've spent on a pair of shoes and my expectations were quite high. I know I'm grasping at straws, but will shoe trees help to correct the issue over time? I'm concerned that the shoes will develop a "bow crease" as it can already be seen when not wearing the shoes (see last picture). Thanks in advance for any guidance.

BrizzleCizzle

Reaction score
I tried both the 9C and 9B today to no avail. They were too tight and still exhibited the bowing, although it was less noticeable. I left the store with a pair of 9D's (the same pair I originally returned). I'm pretty disappointed as this is the most I've spent on a pair of shoes and my expectations were quite high. I know I'm grasping at straws, but will shoe trees help to correct the issue over time? I'm concerned that the shoes will develop a "bow crease" as it can already be seen when not wearing the shoes (see last picture). Thanks in advance for any guidance.

In my opinion, what you're experiencing is the phenomenon that usually takes a wearer many purchases before it evidences itself: different companies have different lasts which all fit a foot better or worse. I.e., some company has a last that is great for your foot, but it isn't the present last upon which your frustrations are building. I suggest trying a different last from AE, and then from other brands. That means the park ave's won't be in your wheelhouse unless you can just live with the bowing.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, what you're experiencing is the phenomenon that usually takes a wearer many purchases before it evidences itself: different companies have different lasts which all fit a foot better or worse. I.e., some company has a last that is great for your foot, but it isn't the present last upon which your frustrations are building. I suggest trying a different last from AE, and then from other brands. That means the park ave's won't be in your wheelhouse unless you can just live with the bowing.

Try the Clifton at Nordstrom. It's on the 8 last and narrower. I have minor bowing on the 5 last and no bowing on the 8 last.

TRIALnERROR

Reaction score
I found a solution... The Boardroom, made exclusively for Joseph A. Banks (http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_299320) is made on the 7 last and fits me much better without any bowing. In fact, the pair I just tried on exhibits some "reverse bowing" on the right shoe. Overall, it is a much better fit. JAB didn't have them in black, so I have to order. I recommend others that are experiencing the same bowing issues to try the Boardroom. I was told by customer service at Jos Bank that the corporate card discount (20% off) can be applied to the shoes as well, bringing the price down to $268. I feel bad that I'm forced to go through Jos Bank as the SA at AE has been fantastic and has gone above and beyond in trying to make me happy.

Boardroom:

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering the shell cordovan Randolph loafer on the 9 last. Is it TTS?

For those of you that own this shoe (or the calf version), how does it fit vis a vis your other AE's - particularly I'm looking for comparisons to AEs 1, 5, or 8 lasts. Thanks gents.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As you said, they bow even without your foot in them. Actually pretty badly, and no shoe trees would not help they are defective. The bowing does seem to run in batches, sometimes large batches. Glad you found a shoe that fits! I would not give up on the 5 last yet, you need to try one on the 5 last that is not defective first.

bucksfan

Reaction score
I'm considering the shell cordovan Randolph loafer on the 9 last. Is it TTS?
For those of you that own this shoe (or the calf version), how does it fit vis a vis your other AE's - particularly I'm looking for comparisons to AEs 1, 5, or 8 lasts. Thanks gents.

I find they run TTS - a little tighter than 1-last shoes, probably due to the hand-stitching. I wear the same size in my shell Leeds, shell Randolphs, calf Park Aves, shell Bradleys, shell (and calf) Macneils and shell Strands.

I found a solution... The Boardroom, made exclusively for Joseph A. Banks (http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_299320) is made on the 7 last and fits me much better without any bowing. In fact, the pair I just tried on exhibits some "reverse bowing" on the right shoe. Overall, it is a much better fit. JAB didn't have them in black, so I have to order. I recommend others that are experiencing the same bowing issues to try the Boardroom. I was told by customer service at Jos Bank that the corporate card discount (20% off) can be applied to the shoes as well, bringing the price down to $268. I feel bad that I'm forced to go through Jos Bank as the SA at AE have been fantastic and have gone above and beyond in trying to make me happy.

Boardroom:

Nice - a Park Ave in the 7 last. Let us know what you think of the black ones when you get them.

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
now that the argument is over what are all you flat foot guys doing? I'm pretty flat footed and noticed a bulge on the shoe opening also.

As a flat foot, I wear the #5 last, PA, Strand, Neumok, Ridgeway. It's took some tuning with regard to size, but they fit pretty well. I can walk around most of the day without pain or discomfort.

I found a solution... The Boardroom, made exclusively for Joseph A. Banks (http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_299320) is made on the 7 last and fits me much better without any bowing. In fact, the pair I just tried on exhibits some "reverse bowing" on the right shoe. Overall, it is a much better fit. JAB didn't have them in black, so I have to order. I recommend others that are experiencing the same bowing issues to try the Boardroom. I was told by customer service at Jos Bank that the corporate card discount (20% off) can be applied to the shoes as well, bringing the price down to $268. I feel bad that I'm forced to go through Jos Bank as the SA at AE have been fantastic and have gone above and beyond in trying to make me happy.

Boardroom:

I'm glad you found something that works. I still think you can finagle a #5 last shoe, but you may have to try the trial an error route. If the 9D is the best fit so far, you might also try a 9.5C. Everyone is always saying the #5 last runs long and and going up in length is a mistake; I have not found this to be true.

Whatever you do, make sure you post some photos of the shoes! And wear them in good health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads