1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdstour

rdstour Senior member

On a separate note,
    I just came into possession of last year's (now-discontinued) Allen Edmonds Macneil Wingtips in Burgundy Pebble Grain and I was wondering if anyone might have tips on how to wear it?
    As in what types of outfits etc would be acceptable?
    Would appreciate the advice, and thanks guys.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Is it perfectly okay to use a generic 'brown' shoe cream? Or do I need to be using a walnut color cream to polish my walnut strands?

3. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

If you are referring to Johnston & Murphy. I took a quick look at their shoe trees and unless you are getting the ones with the knob on top, I don't see a reason to swap them.

4. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

i would use a walnut polish from AE or a generic neutral polish, not sure if brown is a good choice.

5. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

Burgundy goes with pretty much any color trousers, from black to cream. Given the pebble grain, the longwing, and the Macneil's split reverse welt, I think it will pair most naturally with heavier-weight trousers with texture: Corduroy, flannel, whipcord,cavalry twill, bedford cord, tweed, denim...

6. blsing

blsing Well-Known Member

Nicely done! Stunning purchases, couldnt choose a better pair... 2for $300 I presume? The strands look pretty good, especially if you are going to crease around there...

7. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

These are really nice, they are EXACTLY what I ordered. Mine should be coming in on Thursday and I'm hoping they look as good as yours do.

On a second note, I was walking around Brooks Brothers today and saw the Strand, the 5th Avenue, and the Shelton all on the display but were labeled as Brooks Brothers. Does AE make BBs shoes?

8. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

ya they are 2 for $300. I also bought some shoe polishs and edge creams then the SA was nice to throw in two sets of dust bags for me.

Question on those who already own walnut strand. My pair has a slight color difference between the toe cap and the upper, if you take a closer look you can tell. But I think that's just normal, right?

9. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Some of them - but others are made by Alden, Edward Green, Crockett & Jones...

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Like suggested, please stick to walnut or neutral cream. You don't want to darken that lovely color with any brown cream substitute.

11. blsing

blsing Well-Known Member

The brown Fifth Aves are such a nice color...they ran out of them in my size and I had to settle for black-still a win, but the brown is really gorgeous

12. Stylego

Stylego Senior member

I've seen a lot of quality control issues on Alden shoes I've found in the wild, but my experience with them, from a CS stand-point was all positive. (They damaged a pair of shoes during a recraft, replaced with a new pair.)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  13. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Are you talking about Alden? I called their phone number and left a message every morning for a week regarding a potential quality issue. I haven't heard back a year later.

14. rollafan

rollafan Senior member

Just got a pair of Vernon today. Not too shabby IMO [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Stylego

Stylego Senior member

Huh. I got a call from them. I called back and left a message. They called me the next day. We figured out a work around (I sent a pair of BB shoes for rework, so when they were damaged we had to figure out something else from their catalog to replace it with.) No issues.

16. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

+1 on the Macneil with heavier trousers. I have the Macneil in Walnut pebble grain, and I rock them with flannel, khakis, and jeans. IMO, the textured leather combined with the double oak sole doesn't make it an ideal shoe for worsted wool suit pants. The burgundy version might be a bit more appropriate with worsted wool, but you'd be safest sticking with Testudo's recommendation.

17. Karl_in_Chicago

Karl_in_Chicago Well-Known Member

AE's walnut is a rather light, and bright, shade of brown - it's what makes the walnut Strands "pop" (IMO). Most generic browns are going to be considerably darker and will most likely end up darkening the shoe - if that's what you want then go ahead. If you want to preserve the color as-is I'd suggest sticking with AE's walnut polish (I use their tube version with the built-in applicator) or some equivalent lighter walnut/brown polish. The AE stuff is reasonably priced and an exact match so that's what I use (Strands and Daltons).

18. Karl_in_Chicago

Karl_in_Chicago Well-Known Member

Yes, that's normal - assuming that the cap is a bit darker on yours. I've accentuated this on mine by occasionally applying some darker polishes to the cap.

19. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

Do you have pictures of what yours look like with the slightly darker caps? I want to do this to mine but have never seen results before.

20. rdstour

rdstour Senior member

Hmm,
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    I was really hoping these would be versatile enough to wear both with a suit and something a little less formal, but I'm not so sure if these fit the bill. Everyone keeps talking about how a nice pair of wingtips are essential to one's shoe collection, but I'm really on the fence with these.
    Anyone else have any advice?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.