• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

REguy

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my AE Amok experience. I thought I'd take advantage of the current sale and ordered a pair in each color after seeing how nice they looked (see first picture courtesy of AE). For $150/pair I was excited to get some cheap kicks that could almost pass for the Alden version (without the ~$270/pair upcharge). I get my box today and, much to my dismay, they look like the second picture. I arranged them in the same order (L-R: brown, maracca, chocolate). Even with the poor lighting, the picture makes them look better than real life. The maracca (middle) has been oversprayed to look like the color of dirt, the chocolate is actually darker than the brown as well as having some weird dye job, and, from a quality standpoint, the leather used on the brown shoes is so thin and cheap feeling you'd think you could poke your finger through it.

I also got blown off by their live chat person when I asked where I could find an accurate picture of the shoes. AE is not scoring points with me tonight.

I'm sure AE will make things right, but I'm pretty disappointed. For those of you who are interested in the Amoks, I'd size down 1/2 size due to them being unlined.

AEAmoks1.jpg

AEAmoks-1.jpg

Last edited:

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All 3 of those models have an odd number of eyelets so if you choose to go bar lace you will have to do what is, IMO, some unnatural and awkward lacing. Not to say you can't make it work but I've just found it to be too much hassle . . . so regular old criss cross for me.

The Van Ness and Lombards have 5 eyelets, but the Strands has 6. BTW I definitely agree with the other poster who have said how beautiful the Lombards are in Walnut, however I needed a black dress shoes and the Lombards in walnut are already very similar to my Strands in walnut.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just wanted to share my AE Amok experience. I thought I'd take advantage of the current sale and ordered a pair in each color after seeing how nice they looked (see first picture courtesy of AE). For $150/pair I was excited to get some cheap kicks that could almost pass for the Alden version (without the ~$270/pair upcharge). I get my box today and, much to my dismay, they look like the second picture. I arranged them in the same order (L-R: brown, maracca, chocolate). Even with the poor lighting, the picture makes them look better than real life. The maracca (middle) has been oversprayed to look like the color of dirt, the chocolate is actually darker than the brown as well as having some weird dye job, and, from a quality standpoint, the leather used on the brown shoes is so thin and cheap feeling you'd think you could poke your finger through it.
I also got blown off by their live chat person when I asked where I could find an accurate picture of the shoes. AE is not scoring points with me tonight.
I'm sure AE will make things right, but I'm pretty disappointed. For those of you who are interested in the Amoks, I'd size down 1/2 size due to them being unlined.
AEAmoks1.jpg

AEAmoks-1.jpg

That looks nothing like the picture. I too would be upset, send them back!

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AEAmoks1.jpg

AEAmoks-1.jpg

WTF? Those look nothing like the catalog photos - even the welt and sole edge are different colors. I'd be disappointed, as well.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK, time for an update. Are Allen Edmonds shoes still clunky? And are they easily available (either online or instore at non-ripoff prices) in Canada now? In the past they were clunky and there were no real sources to get them here at a good price.
I wouldn't consider AE to be clunky by any means, they aren't slim but not clunky. They seem like traditional american dress shoes.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
I like them but they run very narrow.

I have the Van Ness, and they are every bit as nice looking as an AE with a leather sole.

I can also bear witness that they run narrow. I wear a 10.5EEE, and I wish I'd have gone up a half size.
I would like to bump this, since you mentioned you wish you had sized up with the EXEC COLLECTION. Did you end up sizing up? If so, did you size up in size or width?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All 3 of those models have an odd number of eyelets so if you choose to go bar lace you will have to do what is, IMO, some unnatural and awkward lacing. Not to say you can't make it work but I've just found it to be too much hassle . . . so regular old criss cross for me.

I go with bar lacing for all oxfords/balmorals and criss cross for the bluchers/derbies. I think it looks nicer that way. Different strokes...

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I go with bar lacing for all oxfords/balmorals and criss cross for the bluchers/derbies. I think it looks nicer that way. Different strokes...

Doesn't bar lacing cause you to be unable to tighten the laces when pulling?

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do criss-cross lacing because that's what I learned when I was five. :nodding:

reidrothchild

Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on the Firenze and the Italian collection in general? I never really like the look of AE's Italian line from the website photos, but I was trying on a suit at Nordstrom last weekend, and the Verona was the shoe they had in the dressing area to try on with dress pants. They were super comfortable and actually not that bad looking. Given that the special running right now includes the Firenze, I was considering them. Anyone own them? Are horsebit loafers too douchey?

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most comfortable shell loafers I've had in years, very supple brown shell cordovan Allen Edmonds Cole.

allenedmondscole12D.jpg

allenedmondscole12D3.jpg

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are people's thoughts on the Firenze and the Italian collection in general? I never really like the look of AE's Italian line from the website photos, but I was trying on a suit at Nordstrom last weekend, and the Verona was the shoe they had in the dressing area to try on with dress pants. They were super comfortable and actually not that bad looking. Given that the special running right now includes the Firenze, I was considering them. Anyone own them? Are horsebit loafers too douchey?

I personal like the Verona, I'll be pickup up a pair I'm the near future. The idea of a bit loafer has slowly burrowed itself into my mind :D

browntown87

Reaction score
AEAmoks1.jpg

AEAmoks-1.jpg

That is definitely a massive difference. I bought some Amoks as well (in Maracca) and unfortunately I won't be able to see them for a couple weeks. Has anyone else been delivered them and noticed a difference in how they look or a deficiency in the quality of the shoe?

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Yeah, it's burrowing itself into my mind as well. I'm just a bit concerned because I've never really liked bit loafers before. I may go see how the pebbled leather of the Firenze looks in person this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads