Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iroh

iroh Senior member

OK, time for an update. Are Allen Edmonds shoes still clunky? And are they easily available (either online or instore at non-ripoff prices) in Canada now? In the past they were clunky and there were no real sources to get them here at a good price.

2. otc

otc Senior member

Its weird...
    I think I have a pair of actual park avenue "thirds" from ebay (marked more heavily on the sole than the usual seconds) and other than single flaw, they are in far better shape than my dalton seconds.

The daltons seem to have a whole bunch of imperfections (like it was all done by the new guy as his practice shoe...he's fully trained and competent, but is not perfect yet) while the park avenues are perfect except for the single flaw.

Of course the flaw on the PAs is something that would disqualify it as a second--there is a cut completely through the leather on the end of the tongue--but it is less than a centimeter long and ends up covered by the rest of the shoe once it is tied and its not something that is going to get worse.

Just seems strange that the $100 brand new ebay shoes have a better outer appearance than some seconds being sold through official channels.

3. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

Nope. I ordered them directly from AE. They're regular first quality.

I'm wearing them to work today. They'll take a bit of breaking in, but I can't expect them to fit like my other AEs, which are all about 10-15 years old.

4. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Let's have some pics of them being worn, Dave :)

Btw I've missed you on the other site. Everything been okay?

5. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

One of the major benefits of getting the seconds direct from AE rather than Ebay is that you can return the seconds to AE if you are unhappy with them or if they don't fit... Sounds like your PAs were a real find though.

6. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I'll have to snap a couple of pics.

Oh, I've just been lurking here more. I haven't been to the other site in a while. I got a little irritated with Ed, but that wasn't anything serious. :)

7. blsing

blsing Well-Known Member

So I just wore my new Lasalle's for the first time. The front part of the sole seems like its shaving off when I walk, is that normal after the first wear?

8. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Pretty common on new shoes. I try to wear mine on carpet for a few times (i.e. the "mac" break in method) to allow the sole to break in a little before being subjected to asphalt / concrete. That said, if after you break them in they continue to show heavy toe wear, you may want to install toe taps (not my site, but pretty good info).

http://lastedleather.com/Plasticplates/Installingtaps.html

You can also have your local cobbler install them.

9. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Affiliate Vendor

My Dalton seconds just arrived and they are totally awesome. :slayer:

Fit is TTS and they are nice and wide in the toe box.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

10. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

I ordered Strands for 220 after $100 discount promotion on endless.com for cyber monday. I had them ship to an American proxy as I was having other stuff delivered to me anyways. But if you have them ship directly to you from endless there is like $70 duty fee or something and plus I think that deal is gone now.

11. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

I think it depends on the shoe and the last. As a whole, do I think AE's are clunky? Absolutely not. I think they provide one of the best deals ever for your $$$, especially if you are on a budget or just starting out and trying to grow your collection. I've owned or still own AE Cliftons (brogued captoe bluchers), AE Harrisons (plaintoe bluchers), and AE Park Aves (Captoe balmorals).

The Cliftons and the Harrisons IMO both have a great classic last and aren't clunky at all. I think the Park Aves do have a bit of a clunky look to them, personally, but that might be due to the sole. The general shape is classy and not ugly at all. But then again, is clunky really that bad? We're not talking about Square toe kenneth cole shoes here! I wear my cordovan RL Marlow/Darlton wingtips and with that BIG Double sole they are about as clunky as it get, still gorgeous though! :slayer::slayer::slayer:

12. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

Hey Guys I jest recieved my Bayfields and Daltons.... needless to say they are perfect in every way no blemishes... at all. I just don't like them, neither of them... I am going to be putting them up for sale @ 225.00 a piece shipped + 4% paypal, unless ya feel comfortable with gifting it.....the weill come with boxed and the bags them came in along with laces... I ship USPS....

13. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

They are 12d... by the way.

14. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

15. Karl_in_Chicago

Karl_in_Chicago Well-Known Member

All 3 of those models have an odd number of eyelets so if you choose to go bar lace you will have to do what is, IMO, some unnatural and awkward lacing. Not to say you can't make it work but I've just found it to be too much hassle . . . so regular old criss cross for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.