• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

reidrothchild

Reaction score

PSA for AE shell lovers:

1) AE Bradley shell cordovan split-toe blucher is currently on the AE website for $250. http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF2291_1_40000000001_-1

2) AE listed their Strands and Daltons in Walnut Shell Cordovan
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF1665_1_40000000001_-1
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF0131_1_40000000001_-1

Those Bradleys are a great deal. I've never even seen 2nds in shell at that price. Pity I already have the Delrays in Chili.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Well...crap. I had just breathed a sigh of relief after telling myself that I didn't need another split toe blucher even it was in shell...now I'm contemplating those Westchesters.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question: Do the AE Macneil longwings tend to run TTS or large on the sizing? I'm looking to grab a pair online...

This is an interesting one - I had to size up half a size, which surprised me. I am TTS in almost every shoe, including the AE Players (executive last), Lombard (executive last), and Clifton (8?).

But judging from the other responses, it looks like it's just me...

Last edited:

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I go with bar lacing for all oxfords/balmorals and criss cross for the bluchers/derbies. I think it looks nicer that way. Different strokes...

So I've done the following Strand/Van Ness (oxfords/closed tongue) = bar lass, and the Lombard (wingtip/blucher) = bar lass for the time being.
Doesn't bar lacing cause you to be unable to tighten the laces when pulling?

I will let you know after a few wears. Not really sure though
Sorry, I might be using the wrong terminology. I do straight lacing the European way and it allows you to tighten it to some extent.

Can you provide a diagram/instructions as to how you tie this method..

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dumb question, but if you have a choose a more versatile color for suit/jeans/khakis of a pair of Strand would it be brown or walnut?

blsing

Reaction score
dumb question, but if you have a choose a more versatile color for suit/jeans/khakis of a pair of Strand would it be brown or walnut?

My vote is walnut. I just love the color. And it goes with so many suit colors. Brown does also, so really a style choice

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Walnut fo' sho'. That color is their best, by far.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, compare pics:

Sanford in walnut from the email:

Sanford in walnut from the website:

No wonder those suede boots were so far off in color...

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know Walnut is beautiful and forum favorite but I choose Drk Brown only because I already have a pair with lighter shade (Chestnut) for Spring and Summer wear..I prefer darker shades for F/W seasons.. IMO, flexibility wise, I'll go with Drk Brown..Wow/FU factor, definitely Walnut :)

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FYI This 2/$300 sale is supposed to end 12/11... so plan your purchasing decisions accordingly... 

I did do some research in the last 5/ pages and could not find an answer - so here goes. Where is this sale, at the shoebank?

Thanks in advance.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why do you say walnut? Do you really think Walnut works with a navy suit or charcoal suit? I am just aksing b/c I purchased a pair of black Lombards so they would match with all my suits.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know Walnut is beautiful and forum favorite but I choose Drk Brown only because I already have a pair with lighter shade (Chestnut) for Spring and Summer wear..I prefer darker shades for F/W seasons.. IMO, flexibility wise, I'll go with Drk Brown..Wow/FU factor, definitely Walnut :)

Thanks for the input. I have crap wingtip that I got from yoox for $75 and it's very close to a walnut color and that's why I am asking. Also I am thinking about picking up the Walnut but not chocolate Dalton, which makes me almost 3 pairs of shoes with similar/identical color and thus the question.

blsing

Reaction score

Why do you say walnut? Do you really think Walnut works with a navy suit or charcoal suit? I am just aksing b/c I purchased a pair of black Lombards so they would match with all my suits.
Definitely, thats where Walnut excels IMO. Although there was that picture of the Walnut Strands with Light gray and in it looked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics