• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rostov

Reaction score
Is your heel swimming in the 10EEE?
How do your feet feel in the 11E?

I have a 10.5EEE on the 2 last. The heel, and the shoe, is snug but comfortable.

My 5 last shoes are an enigma. I have a Strand that is comfortable at 11E, but my Fifth Aves are too tight at the same size. Then again, I do vaguely remembering cursing the salesman for the first week after buying those Strands, until they finally stretched out.

The Dalton in 11E is roomy and slips a bit, which I suppose is made worse by the bad heel counter in the one shoe. The worst result of this is some extra creasing in the toe box. However, it's incredibly comfortable and only a tad too large, not incredibly so.

The reason the first salesman put me in 11E was that I returned a pair of 10.5EEE Strands that had bad bowing. He believed it was a matter of fit, not a defect, and put me in the 11E.

Btw, I edited the original post because I meant to say "10.5EEE", not "10EEE".

Last edited:

CrimmyS

Reaction score
Yes. The Wide Basic Dress is the newer model that you can see on the website. The belt listed as 35mm Dress is the older style. The main difference is that the 35mm belt is much shinier and monotone coloring. The new WBD belts are much more supple and have more color depth. I ordered both to compare and sent the 35mm back.
Did you happen to take any pictures?

During my correspondence with a rep from one of the stores, I asked 3-4 times and never got an answer until after the item was shipped, and then they said the belts are the same size just a different name (really ambiguous and didn't answer my question).

I knew something was off because the list they gave me showed the 35mm as 49.99 and 2nds were 39.99; the WBD was like 99 or 120 and the seconds were 49.99. I specifically looked at the price and thought I'd rather get a 2nd quality belt marked down 50% than a new belt at the same price... under the assumption there must be a good reason that belt costs 2x as much.

Would you say it's worth bringing it up with them? Just annoyed because I'm waiting on these belts before I send the shoes and other stuff I bought internationally and if everything gets held up because someone was being lazy or careless...

Last edited:

OptoDoc

Reaction score
No pics.
Did you happen to take any pictures?

During my correspondence with a rep from one of the stores, I asked 3-4 times and never got an answer until after the item was shipped, and then they said the belts are the same size just a different name (really ambiguous and didn't answer my question).

I knew something was off because the list they gave me showed the 35mm as 49.99 and 2nds were 39.99; the WBD was like 99 or 120 and the seconds were 49.99. I specifically looked at the price and thought I'd rather get a 2nd quality belt marked down 50% than a new belt at the same price... under the assumption there must be a good reason that belt costs 2x as much.

Would you say it's worth bringing it up with them? Just annoyed because I'm waiting on these belts before I send the shoes and other stuff I bought internationally and if everything gets held up because someone was being lazy or careless...

The 35mm belt had an almost plastic-like feel and glossiness to it...as if it might be corrected grain. It looked and felt much cheaper than the WBD. It's up to you what you do from here, but I promise you'll like the WBD much more than the 35mm.

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than my Daltons, I returned all the shoes I bought during the fathers day sale due to fit issues.

I ended up getting back on a Brannock and the store manager told me I was mis-sized... and he told me to go back to wearing 10.5EEE (from 11E)... after an employee at another AE store had told me I was mis-sized at 10.5EEE. Uggh!

Anyway, I'm mostly happy with my Bourbon Dalton seconds. They were beautiful out of of the box and I assumed the problem was with some messiness with the broguing around the top, or less likely, some inconsistent coloring on the cap. Unfortunately, the real problem didn't appear until after I started wearing them and saw the resultant creasing from a wrongly sized heel counter!

I can clearly feel the edge of the heel-counter along the creasing. The other boot is fine.

I suppose this is the risk of buying seconds... I suppose this serves as a reminder to everyone that the problems in seconds might not be immediately apparent when you open the box!

I would contact them about that - they may exchange it or refund you-pretty sure they would not let that go through as a second...that is more a No Warranty shoe..

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys seen their instagram account? Some new styles for fall coming

Last edited:

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some new Fall 14' styles landed on the AE instagram account earlier. Boots look interesting.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting looking burnishing on the toes of both of those new models. I wonder if that is just CXL and the leather is pulled tight or it it's a new leather altogether.
Hopefull not more of the brushed off leather. The "strand" looks like it might be similar to it.

Overall, nothing too exciting to me. Basically a Wolverine 1000 mile look alike and more variations of the strand...meh.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys seen their instagram account? Some new styles for fall coming

We recently saw the play If/Then and the lead guy had a pair of shoes on similar to the top ones...I actually leaned over to my wife and commented how nice they were and she actually agreed that she noticed them too and thought the same...normally she just tells me I am an idiot. I assumed they were an Alden shoe in cigar cordovan from the looks of where we were sitting..probably more similar to a a Chuka

Something similar to this but with a natural welt

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefull not more of the brushed off leather. The "strand" looks like it might be similar to it.

Overall, nothing too exciting to me. Basically a Wolverine 1000 mile look alike and more variations of the strand...meh.

I like the boot as it is shorter than the 1000, the Strand I am guessing may be on the MacNeil last to return the favor of the Macneil 5 perhaps. Gives the Strand a beefy look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads