1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

+1.

I also much prefer the old Macneil. What's with these awful Poron insoles? And the loss of the piping? These "2.0 updates" were a definite step backward in looks and quality!

2. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

Triple post. Sorry!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  3. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

Triple post. Sorry!

4. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Fifth Avenues for the first! (Ok, that's a stretch, but I don't wear walnut on Wednesdays).
    [​IMG]

5. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

Nice!

6. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Can you elaborate why it is a step back in quality?

7. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

^^^
    Because, IMO, a Poron sole is not as good as a leather dress sole and the piping gave the shoe a more finished look. Both are unwelcome changes for me. Hopefully, AE won't mess with the cordovan versions of the Macneil.

8. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

Bleecker Street in dark chili today. Love the versatility of these. They also give my 8.5 E foot a long slender appearance.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Al Dente

Al Dente Senior member

Thanks for the Chili pic! Looks good. It's also interesting to see that someone else's tongue slip off to the side too.

10. Ridge

Ridge New Member

I've had good luck thus far with seconds. However, I picked up a pair of bourbon strand seconds this week that seem to have a bit more of a significant defect than usual.

[​IMG]

Not sure these are wearable- thoughts? Leaning strongly towards returning (though there are no more bourbon strands seconds currently available to try for a second better pair).

11. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Thanks! I love the taper of the slim Darryl. Just wished the back pockets were a bit higher up.

12. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

That bubbling looks pretty severe. I would return them and wait for a better pair to surface. Maybe your AE sales associate will put you on a waiting list and honor the sale price when the time comes. Never hurts to ask politely.

13. Shoedddude

Shoedddude Member

I got some Brooks Brothers Park Avenues in Black, size 10D from the seconds sale. They're sweet, look great, I can't hardly even see a defect, and I'm overall very pleased. Only thing is, they are kinda loose on my heel. My other pair of AE Park Avenue's I bought second hand off of ebay, and thus I've never had to break a pair in. They are not nearly as loose on my heel, but I think it's because they were already broken in some. Does this sound accurate to anyone? I feel like I've heard that the top of the leather around the heel can "suck in" once it becomes less stiff.
    Does the different footbed in the Brooks Brothers version affect how my heel will push down into the shoe and cause this phenomenon?

14. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Good looking combo. I'm gonna have to write that down. And save up for the next trunk show :)

15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I think it has more to do with the impression of your foot compressing and sinking into the cork footbed. The insole will "grip" your foot better once that happens.

16. iamelroberto

iamelroberto Well-Known Member

Can confirm. Own the lasalle and it's the most comfortable pair of AEs I own (among several).

17. Maxy

Maxy Senior member

Guys question - I tried Mora 2.0 E width today and the tongue area is tight and feel the pressure while standing/walking but I can keep the strap at 2nd hole(with some struggle). Does this become loose eventually? 3E width is very comfortable and no pressure near the tongue area and strap fits the holes easily. Too bad, they don't have 2E in Mora 2.0.

So, better to go with tighter E width or comfortable 3E width?

18. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

^ go with the comfortable size. As long as you dont have excessive heel slippage, you should be fine

19. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Exciting new for those of us living in Seattle and the east side of Lake Washington. Looks like Bellevue Square Mall will be getting an AE store soon. Was at the mall and saw the under construction storefront. Thumbs up!

2 people like this.
  20. Levi1

Levi1 Active Member

I was inspired by an earlier post and headed to Burlington in Brooklyn (near Atlantic). Just Cole Haan etc for 'normal sizes', but if you are a pro basketballer, theyve got some great deals. mostly black manchesters in 14 aa etc. The best shoe there was a pair of tan suede longwings in 13d for $70. sorry no pics, was in a rush. go git em.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.