• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonsmithr8

Reaction score
Not shell but I do love these!

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, interesting. Maybe I should upgrade to some Saphir polish to save myself some time. Are you using the saphir cream shoe polish?

Mostly Saphir. I still use AE's walnut polish for my strands, but rotate it with a few different Saphir colors.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I tried on a pair of Park Avenues at Macy's last weekend that were on the clearance rack. They were size 9 but fit my foot fine (no tightness at all). I usually wear size 10s. I chatted with an AE rep online who told me they tend to run long so that makes sense.

At any rate, I noticed the topline of the vamp area (around my ankle) rubbed my ankle. That is, my feet sit too deep in the shoe and when I walk it chafes my ankle bone skin area. I guess I have a lower arch/instep and the shoe is too deep for me.

I'm thinking the 5-65 last might not be good for my feet.

I really like the look of the Carlyle. I would like to have it in walnut if it fits.

The rep mentioned the Walton, Benton and ... I can't remember the last one for lower vamps but I'm not sure about that. Especially since the Benton is deep intended for orthotics.

Anyway, what I'd ultimately like are two shoes - a formal black oxford (something like Park Ave but better fit) and something like the Carlyle in walnut.

Unfortunately there is no AE store in my area. There are mens stores that carry the brand so I plan on going to try some on but was wondering if anyone could help in my search.

Oh yeah, I bought the Park Aves because how cheap they were (on clearance). Is there any way I can modify these shoes to fit me better or is it a lost cause and I should just return them?

Thanks,

Sam

If you have room in the shoe..assuming you own it? or did you get the ankle issue just from walking around the store? If you own the shoe then get an insole it may raise your foot level enough.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E used to make a Cognac polish and they recommended it for their walnut shoes. I have a little left and I alternate using it on my walnut Strands and Macneils with Saphir #4 (light brown) polish and wax.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do woodlore ultras ever go on sale? How much and when do they typically go on sale? I would endeavor to purchase a few.

Progress

Reaction score
If you have room in the shoe..assuming you own it? or did you get the ankle issue just from walking around the store? If you own the shoe then get an insole it may raise your foot level enough.

Thanks! I discovered the issue in the store. If I can't resolve it I'll ultimately return them.

I'll try the insole. Do you recommend one? How about a heal insert? Are those recommended?

Also, I noticed the left footbed felt uncomfortable. The rep said the cork will wear down over time. Does anyone else have experience with this?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I discovered the issue in the store. If I can't resolve it I'll ultimately return them.

I'll try the insole. Do you recommend one? How about a heal insert? Are those recommended?

Also, I noticed the left footbed felt uncomfortable. The rep said the cork will wear down over time. Does anyone else have experience with this?
From Amazon I have these and they are nice - suggested by another forum member-
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E6TXJ8/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I never have used a heel insert but my guess is that will just be a personal comfort thing...Cork bed should settle but make sure it does not feel that way do to the shoe not fitting proper. I have one foot wider than the other and some shoes it is not a problem and others it is.

linds_15

Reaction score
looking for some advice from this fine thread. looking at picking up multiple pairs, in the brown burnished calf, walnut, and chilli (bourbon later on), and was wondering what you guys think about belt colours to go with these. i'd rather minimize the requirement of belts, and find 2 that can go with the 3 or 4 colours. im looking at the equus belts and was thinking the autralian nut and hazel.

what are your thoughts?
thanks

colonelk2

Reaction score
Would a Haight be too formal for college? Any other pictures of the Haight in action?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great job. Unspoilered intentionally.
Thanks, still some slight work to do on them there are a few blotchy spots of I assume polish floating around the shoe...I need to call AE to see what color it really is or was...in the sun pictures it looks burgundy but most of the time it looks brown.

Josh Savage

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
New (to me) "Lexingtons". Besides a good polish and sole dressing, I thought about blue or red laces. Would that look good?

FreedBird

Reaction score

New (to me) "Lexingtons". Besides a good polish and sole dressing, I thought about blue or red laces. Would that look good?
Leave those shoe as is. Colored laces should be reserved for casual shoes on my opinion. They look great as is!

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Walnut Shell Macneils today with grey glen plaid. Never worn this combo and am still unsure about. What do you guys think?
I think it looks great GOP, well done! I tried wearing brown shoes with blue once and kept looking over my shoulder all day... Some can pull it off but I can't, guess I'm just too conservative (and old according to some LOL). Your combo however I would not hesitate to wear, good call IMO on the grey glen plaid and walnut shoes, looks sharp.

Thanks, still some slight work to do on them there are a few blotchy spots of I assume polish floating around the shoe...I need to call AE to see what color it really is or was...in the sun pictures it looks burgundy but most of the time it looks brown.
They do look great, nice score and well done. AE Burgundy shell turns brown over time. My Leeds turned almost solid brown and I have used Saphir Cordovan Cordovan polish on them several times to try and get the burgundy back. But it doesn't work for long and I am starting to just enjoy the color.

Yeah it was likely black polish, there are still a lot of old timers that use nothing but black wax polish on their burgundy shell. It helps give the "black cherry" look so desired at one time however some use too much and too often. I occasionally use a little black paste wax on my burgundy shell Cambridges.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Just called recrafting department about some options for my shell MacNeils.

According to the rep, they will not recraft to dainite, and will not change the welt/edge color.

Does this sound right? I seem to recall some other gents here accomplishing this through AE.

Should I just call B Nelson?

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Just called recrafting department about some options for my shell MacNeils.

According to the rep, they will not recraft to dainite, and will not change the welt/edge color.

Does this sound right? I seem to recall some other gents here accomplishing this through AE.

Should I just call B Nelson?

Really? I just got this back yesterday:

"This message is in regards to your shoe repair question. Once attached to shoes, soles cannot be salvaged for reuse. In order to change the welt and sole edge color on your shoes, they must be recrafted. The Standard Package is the basic service, the price is $125 per pair. The return shipping fee to Canada is $15 per pair.

Should you decide to Recraft, include the attached forms with your shoes. Use the small package carrier of your choice to ship the shoes to our repair facility. Be sure to indicate you DO NOT want the shoes refinished – as refinishing will bring the shoes back to nearly the original color."

As for the sole conversion, it seems Dainite is left off the form that gets sent in for whatever reason.

B Nelson pricing from Nick (emailed with him the other day):

"A new 360 degree storm welt is $50.00.
A new mid-sole is $40.00.
Converting to Dainite is $155.00.
N/c on the edge finish."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads