1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoedddude

Shoedddude Member

Doesn't the BB have a different footbed...? I've read something about it being a Poron, and not cork. Or is that talking about the insole?

If it's not cork, do you think it will sink down as well - or will it have a hard time grabbing my heel? Thanks for the info!

2. Shoes4play

Shoes4play Senior member

You want pictures?? We've got pictures.

BEFORE:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AFTER:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a difference. Thanks again Garland !!

3 people like this.
  3. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Quote:
    I am struggling with a pair of Brooks Brother's captoes right now. they have not one, but TWO layered spongy rubber insoles, which are AWFUL.

For one, they feel like walking on goop. Some people might like the spongy feeling, but I find it disconcerting, as i like a hard leather and cork insole.

Second, they cause a horrible and very noticeable squeek when my socks get damp from perspiration. They compress so much on every step, that my sock rubs against the heel cup.

They also take up a lot of room inside the shoe and necessitated me going up a width, which was a bad idea.

I hate them.

I'm going to attempt to return them, even though I've had them for a few months and worn them a handful of times.

4. newuser123

newuser123 Active Member

Look I know it's frowned upon, but I wore my Chili Daltons two days in a row (casual day at work and they go so well with jeans!)

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

The insole is foam. The footbed is still cork. Every Goodyear welted shoe has a cork footbed.

6. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

Put some gold bond powder in them and the squeak goes away. Also, if you wear them a few more times, the footbed will compress and mold more to you, reducing the squishy-ness. Or return them. Whatever...

For what its worth, I am wearing BB Fifth Avenues right now...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  7. garland

garland Senior member

They turned out great! Glad it worked for you :)

8. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Thank you for the advice.

My feeling is that I don't want to have to reapply gold bond powder just to make a squeek go away. Isn't that going to me messy anyway?

I've worn them for maybe ten 8 hour days, and the squeak appears around 11:30 consistently. How much longer do I have to put up with this or use gold bond powder?

I'm just returning them. If they won't take them back, I'm ripping all the insole out and having a cobbler put a leather insole in for me.

9. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

1) I only had to apply the gold bond once, which will disappear as your feet sweat. Tha gold bond absorbs the moisture.

2) you cant rip out the Poron and replace it with a leather insole. They just arent constructed that way and trying to remove the Poron is a really bad idea. Sell them or set them on fire if it gets to this point.

10. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

one treatment should do the trick an you are only using a little - no real mess

11. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Thank you, duly noted.

I will give it a try ASAP.

12. lightng79

lightng79 Member

Opinions on this AE purchase from ebay? I'm paying 130 USD all in. How is the condition of the shoe and was it worth it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. maturola

maturola Member

I tried asking something similar here and got ignored =(.

Anyways, I think $130 is a bit high, it should be around $100ish but they look in good condition, however I would ask (if possible) to get close up picture of the back and the inside. Those will give you a better idea on how much they were wore, sometime if they are wore a lot, the sole will be wore out in an angle. Also the inside, you should be able to see the logo clearly, if the logo is "fade out" then they were wear a lot.

just my 2 cents.

Here is the one i was looking at... post #61276

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Yeah, keep in mind these are also "no warranty" shoes, which means your SOL of anything happens with them.

15. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

Has anyone seen pictures of the Normandy boot? These just turned up on eBay. (From DaBondo)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. bamgrinus

bamgrinus Senior member

Neat. I know Paul mentioned that they were rolling out something like this on his recent reddit AMA.

17. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Exciting stuff. I used to live in downtown Bellevue and I avoided that mall (and malls in general) as much as possible save for Nordstrom. Now I have a reason to check it out. I'll have to check it out when I go back in the fall.

On another note, I caved in and ordered a pair of the Jeffersons. For $150 after the AMEX deal it's a no brainer. Plus I don't have any walnut shoes except my shell Daltons. I try to step away from AEs for awhile and they keep pulling me back in.

18. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

My name is watchidiot and I haven't bought a pair of Allen Edmonds since Nov 9 2014.

It's been a difficult journey, and there were times I almost succumbed to the temptation (heritage GMTO, 295 Dundee 3.0, tent sale).

Thank you to the support of Allen Edmonds Anonymous.

Lol.

1 person likes this.
  19. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Ha!

First pair of AEs since November 2014 as well. Love the Jefferson pattern and independence leather though.

I've realized I have a problem though since my Alden LWBs and Carmina austerity bal boots are sitting in my closet (hidden from my fiance) unworn.

First step is admitting right?

20. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

I had about 3 pairs of Carmina hidden in the closet too. You know what allowed me to get them out?

I had my wife pick up a package from the post. She was surprised to see a mansur gavriel bucket bag inside. I took out the shoes from the closet that same afternoon. Didn't hear a groan and not even an eye roll. It works buddy! Try it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.