1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

garland those Daltons look great.

2. AndyC

AndyC Senior member

Thanks, Kyle! These are excellent! As was stated above, these are my favorite of all the trunk show makeups.

3. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

I think it depends on the suit. For 'conservative business dress,' probably not. For no-tie, southern California, not in the finance industry, possibly. I don't have the saddle tan Gobi but if I did, I might try it with something like one these linen suits:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. FlyMusic

FlyMusic New Member

Amazing responses. Thanks everyone. I have not even purchased them yet and I have my eyes on brown boots but will have to save that for another day.

I have decided on the following combos based on availability of sales and inventory:

1) Black PA
    2) Oxblood Carlyle
    3) Walnut Jefferson

I am going to get sized properly tomorrow.

1 person likes this.
  5. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

Brown Fifth Streets ($199 for seconds) look great with suits ...

1 person likes this.
  6. KA0699

KA0699 New Member

Hi I'm new here and looking for some feedback on keeping a pair of factory first vs factory second McAllisters; in the pics below the firsts is on the right; the second is on the left; got the firsts for $299 on sale and the seconds at $199 via the recent tent sale; I was planning to return the firsts and keeping the seconds until I noticed that the stamping on the front of the shoe is significantly different on the factory firsts compared to the factory seconds. I've scoured the web trying to find comparable pics to justify keeping the seconds and saving $100 but that stamping compared to the firsts just looks bad to me. I'm leaning towards keeping the firsts, returning the seconds and paying the $10 restock fee but wanted to run it by the experts before making a final decision. Is the stamping on the seconds bad enough to justify returning? Pics of a similar shoe on the web has not given a concrete answer on how bad it looks though again, my lean is that it's bad enough to keep the firsts (and not capturing $100 but that'd be ok). Also the stamping on the firsts appears to be larger than on the seconds but that could just be the location of the stamping (or I'm crazy who knows).

Any feedback is appreciated!

Another view:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  7. garland

garland Senior member

Thanks guys!

8. garland

garland Senior member

Good! We probably need some pictures to prove it :)

9. htjouster

htjouster Active Member

Looks like the toe medallion was stamped further towards the toe on the 2nds. If that's the only noticeable flaw (to the extent it's even is a flaw), I'd keep the 2nds. That said, at the end of the day it's up to you whether the difference in medallion placement is worth the $100 price difference.

10. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Senior member

Absolutely beautiful May have just made my grail list

11. fasteddie911

fasteddie911 Member

Similar to a previous poster, I purchased a pair of chukkas from the recent factory seconds sale and I wanted your opinions on what appears to be the defect. The right shoe has "scratches" in the coloring of the shoe, going lengthwise from the toes up the vamp. I was wondering what you guys thought of this. Is it normal/acceptable or too much for a factory second? Would it buff out or even out with more time and wear, or get worse?

thanks

[​IMG]

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

the thing about buying factory seconds is, you're buying defective shoes. some defects are worse than others. only you can answer the question of whether it's an acceptable purchase or not.

1 person likes this.
  13. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

This X100

My Daltons have a small scratch on the tongue because the metal around the lace hole was bent and scratching. That's the only defect, I bent it back and filed it down and they are good to go. The scratches will go away once I polish.

14. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Tan RL Sandersons today.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. newuser123

newuser123 Active Member

Hmmm...clean my desk off or stare at my Bob's Chili Daltons all afternoon? Seems an easy choice.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. Maxy

Maxy Senior member

Yes, you are buying defective shoes but hoping there are no defects.. contradictory expectations from everyone(including me)! [​IMG]

17. KA0699

KA0699 New Member

Thanks for the feedback. The $100 would go towards a pair of Interstate 90's so you've helped my decision immensely.

18. KA0699

KA0699 New Member

fair enough; I've gotten several pair of seconds with no noticeable flaws; this is the first time I've even noticed a big difference between the shoes and it's more of a conscious thing than anything else (ie: will someone notice this medallion is placed different compared to a pair of firsts?).

19. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Probably just you and folks from this forum.

20. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

If you spend some time scrolling through the posts in the "What Are Your Wearing" thread in "Classic Menswear" you will see people all over the world wearing chukkas with suits or with ties and jackets. It's safe. None of them have been arrested by the Fashion Police.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.