• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like they topyed the heel instead of adding the rubber heel we are use to seeing. Maybe it was a factory mistake?

Not sure, but just speculating. How about posting pics of the uppers, so we can judge if the shoes have been used.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I eventually decided to hold onto my brown shell Jefferson even though I feel that an 8E would fit better than the 8.5D that I ordered. The pain of sending the back and forth between continents was too much. Without further ado, my Jefferson's maiden voyage

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
My brand new, firsts, McTavish had that same squiggly heel pattern. They are original AE. No need to worry.

indigoroots

Reaction score
The uppers look brand new but they're probably seconds - there's a slight wrinkle in the leather in an area that my trousers will cover up.

Was just curious about the heel pattern, but I guess it's not as uncommon as I thought.

tifosi, when did you purchase your firsts?

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

I decided to take some pictures of my entire collection. Wow, I'm definitely hooked on my AE shoes. It started in part by my size 14E available in so many styles, and grew from there. Here's the collection: 22 Pairs of shoes (1 hair of boots included) Top (farthest back): Black Fifth Street boots, black lasalle, MTO Lowry Hill (my own Great Gatsby influenced design) Walnut Jermyn, Burgundy Cordovan Randolph, Burgundy Cambridge, Burgundy Shell Bradley, Walnut Carlsbad MTO Chili Grain Lowry Hill, Walnut Jefferson, Burgundy Adams, Chili Maxfield, Burgundy Manchester Tan sedona, brown jefferson, brown Wilbert, black/brown nashua, chili bradleys Blue sedona, Tan nashua, MTO Merlot Winter Park, Walnut Winter Park I apologize for the image quality, just an iPhone.
A close up of my three pair of shells (now I'm getting into them thanks to the thread) all 14 E (Randolph's the latest) (bottom to top) Randolph, Cambridge, and Bradley (all Burgundy Shell, and all Seconds — seem very nice to me) I hope this inspires people to post some of their collections. See the MTO thread for closeups of the latest 2 MTO Lowry Hill. Whew, time to slow down and find some shoe storage for all these.
Any thoughts on good shoe storage?
You have done very well my friend. It is going to be some time until I do another family photo myself. It takes too long to setup... I honestly am interested in good shoe storage ideas as well. I currently use the shelf above the clothes in two closets and I now have use my floor for overflow. -M

StyleNovice6

Reaction score
^ wow that is my first time seeing the AE Cambridge.. I'm assuming they are no longer made? I personally find those much more attractive than the Mcallisters.

Also, I think the big shoe size gives your shoes a more elegant look- some AE designs are a little clunky, at least compared to other non-American makers. I'm envious of the collection for sure.

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a 10.5EEE on the 2 last. The heel, and the shoe, is snug but comfortable.

My 5 last shoes are an enigma. I have a Strand that is comfortable at 11E, but my Fifth Aves are too tight at the same size. Then again, I do vaguely remembering cursing the salesman for the first week after buying those Strands, until they finally stretched out.

The Dalton in 11E is roomy and slips a bit, which I suppose is made worse by the bad heel counter in the one shoe. The worst result of this is some extra creasing in the toe box. However, it's incredibly comfortable and only a tad too large, not incredibly so.

The reason the first salesman put me in 11E was that I returned a pair of 10.5EEE Strands that had bad bowing. He believed it was a matter of fit, not a defect, and put me in the 11E.

Btw, I edited the original post because I meant to say "10.5EEE", not "10EEE".

Wouldn't there be more bowing on the longer strands? the 10.5 EEE bowing sounds like a defect. but if 11 E fits you right all power to you!

Last edited:

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I decided to take some pictures of my entire collection.
Wow, I'm definitely hooked on my AE shoes. It started in part by my size 14E available in so many styles, and grew from there.

Here's the collection:
22 Pairs of shoes (1 hair of boots included)
Top (farthest back):
Black Fifth Street boots, black lasalle, MTO Lowry Hill (my own Great Gatsby influenced design)

Walnut Jermyn, Burgundy Cordovan Randolph, Burgundy Cambridge, Burgundy Shell Bradley, Walnut Carlsbad

MTO Chili Grain Lowry Hill, Walnut Jefferson, Burgundy Adams, Chili Maxfield, Burgundy Manchester

Tan sedona, brown jefferson, brown Wilbert,
black/brown nashua, chili bradleys

Blue sedona, Tan nashua, MTO Merlot Winter Park, Walnut Winter Park

I apologize for the image quality, just an iPhone.

A close up of my three pair of shells (now I'm getting into them thanks to the thread) all 14 E (Randolph's the latest)
(bottom to top) Randolph, Cambridge, and Bradley (all Burgundy Shell, and all Seconds — seem very nice to me)

I hope this inspires people to post some of their collections.

See the MTO thread for closeups of the latest 2 MTO Lowry Hill.

Whew, time to slow down and find some shoe storage for all these.

Any thoughts on good shoe storage?

Nice family shots! count me inspired!
For shoe storage I keep 5 pairs at the shoe-rack near the door (pennies, bucks, cap toe, ptb, and a pair of boots). The rest are stored on the top shelf of my closet (mostly so that my S-O can't tell if I bought a new pair :p

frankmartin

Reaction score

Anybody have advice on how to size Randolphs?? They are on the 9-79 last.
Other shoes built on 79 last are (or were):
Cody
Cornelius
Fairmont

Anyone else have any advice? I'd be really interested in how folks have sized Randolph's in relation to 1-511, 5-65, or 7 last shoes.
Do folks who have Randolph's buy them in their brannock size or something else?

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just picked up a pair of supposedly new McAllisters on ebay at a price I couldn't resist. They seem to have a different heel pattern than the pair I purchased from Shoebank (bottom pair) though. Any thoughts on the difference? Are they a really old run or have they been resoled?
The weird heel one has a "no warranty" stamp on the bottom too. It's usually on both shoes in the pair. Maybe they're from two different pairs?

Last edited:

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have done very well my friend. It is going to be some time until I do another family photo myself. It takes too long to setup...

I honestly am interested in good shoe storage ideas as well. I currently use the shelf above the clothes in two closets and I now have use my floor for overflow.

-M
http://cedarspecialties.com/store/30_inch_eastern_red_cedar_deluxe_solid_closet_shoe_cubby_kit.html

I did a buildout of my closet with these kits(and a few others from this site), on a reasonable budget.
They are great for shoe storage.
Each one of these will hold ~21 pairs of boots/shoes on the shelves.
They are not the top of the line, but price/quality is decent.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

^ wow that is my first time seeing the AE Cambridge.. I'm assuming they are no longer made? I personally find those much more attractive than the Mcallisters.

Also, I think the big shoe size gives your shoes a more elegant look- some AE designs are a little clunky, at least compared to other non-American makers. I'm envious of the collection for sure.

Cambridge are still being made. They are only made in shell cordovan, FYI.

ayoungs

Reaction score
Great family, @ayoungs .

My storage solution (apologies for the low lighting - my closet bulb is pretty pathetic - hopefully you can still get the gist):

Eight of these, stacked to make four racks with 18 pairs each, $160 spent:

http://www.target.com/p/whitmor-woo...ome-natural/-/A-13259937#prodSlot=medium_1_21
Nice glimpse at your collection of shoes! This gives me some ideas of how to store them, thanks!
How long did it take to build that collection?
8 of those will hold 72 shoes, that'd be able to keep up with my collecting, of course my partner says any more shoes and the old ones start getting donated (although he continues to like all but the white MTO shoes I just got).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads