• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cincikid

Reaction score
Your stat doctorate qualifies you as an expert on shoe brand quality?
I presume you do not have a doctorate in the shoe manufacturing either. If you looked at the original thread, I simply stated that AE is on the left hand side of the distribution of the quality (which, by the way, is probably not normal, but rather Gamma or Beta, the way I see it), Goodyear welted shoes. Do you think I am not qualified enough to make this statement? If so, I will continue to improve my knowledge.

I strictly mentioned about my background in stats in respect to the following (hope this was not too obnoxious):

Originally Posted by ridethecliche

300+ dollars for shoes is not cheap...Some of the seconds sales like the 2 for 250 etc are probably getting there though.

I don't think you understand how a normal distribution works.

cincikid

Reaction score
Wake up? What got your panties in a wad? I didn't say they were high end, I said they were high end compared to the dress shoes that most guys buy (in the mind of the average man). Most guys would rather spend their money on things other than shoes. I am not one of those guys, and neither are you... good for us. I know Carmina is higher quality than AE, I never said that AE was higher quality than Carmina.

I don't know where or what kind of lifestyle you live, but if it is anything like the Average guy's lifestyle you would know that most of us are perfectly fine with $100 dress shoes, and happen to think $350 for a pair of shoes is simply too expensive.

I didn't think that saying typical guys view AE's as high end shoes would elicit such a response, and I apologize if my words offended you.
I think we are confusing two quite different things here: shoes in general and Goodyear shoes. These are like comparing apples and oranges. As far as I am concerned, you can't compare AE and Ecco, but you can compare AE and Edward Green.

Yes, AE are expensive compare to Aldo (less so compare to Cole Haan), but they are cheaper than Alden, which, in turn is cheaper than C&J, which, in turn is cheaper than Edward Green and so on.

If we are strictly talking about the Goodyear welted shoes, then AE is probably as low as it gets and $300 is an absolute minimum for the shoes in this league.

kentyman

Reaction score
I presume you do not have a doctorate in the shoe manufacturing either. If you looked at the original thread, I simply stated that AE is on the left hand side of the distribution of the quality (which, by the way, is probably not normal, but rather Gamma or Beta, the way I see it), Goodyear welted shoes. Do you think I am not qualified enough to make this statement? If so, I will continue to improve my knowledge.

I strictly mentioned about my background in stats in respect to the following (hope this was not too obnoxious):

Anyone who's taken a freshman stat class has an understanding of normal distributions and standard deviations. I was merely commenting that your legitimately impressive overqualification when it comes to the subject of statistics doesn't mean we have to "trust you" and take your shoe brand opinions as gospel.

Wasn't trying to offend; just pointing out that your education isn't exactly applicable.

cincikid

Reaction score
I didn't say goodyear welted shoes. I said shoes or even formal footwear. My comparison was AE vs average dress shoe. You're redistributing everything in the 1+ SD above the mean for all formal footwear. Maybe even higher.

In your (different) comparison, I might have to agree, though I don't know enough about the more expensive stuff to lend any expertise.
You're right. I was just referring to my original statement about the continuum of the Goodyear welted shoes.

cincikid

Reaction score
Anyone who's taken a freshman stat class has an understanding of normal distributions and standard deviations. I was merely commenting that your legitimately impressive overqualification when it comes to the subject of statistics doesn't mean we have to "trust you" and take your shoe brand opinions as gospel.

Wasn't trying to offend; just pointing out that your education isn't exactly applicable.
No worries. I was just referring to the issue of distribution, not the quality of shoes, as I have stated clearly.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. Out of everyone I see at work (and I travel to multiple client sites and have worked in two large cities), I will likely see maybe one person wearing what I would bet are goodyear welted. Everyone else is wearing square toed or beat up black loafers/derbies.

Also, Carminas are currently 325 euros for the cheapest pair and for the most part 340 or 400 plus euros. Converted to USD thats over 430 for the cheapest pair. It's not fair to compare.

Edit: I assume the VAT deduction would bring 340 euros down to be around $400 USD, more comparable. Likely better compared to the independence collection or aldens at that range though.

I just placed an order for a pair of suede Carmina's that are similar to AE's Strand. With the current free shipping offer, they came to $389 shipped, which is only $70 more than what I would have paid for Strands during the recent sale with sales tax. For me, there was no question the step up in quality was worth an extra $70.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doctorate in statistics is badass! I took AP Stats in high school and still find it to one of the most useful classes I ever took as far as applicability to daily life

SloopyNoob

Reaction score
I just placed an order for a pair of suede Carmina's that are similar to AE's Strand. With the current free shipping offer, they came to $389 shipped, which is only $70 more than what I would have paid for Strands during the recent sale with sales tax. For me, there was no question the step up in quality was worth an extra $70.
Which model did you order?

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just placed an order for a pair of suede Carmina's that are similar to AE's Strand.  With the current free shipping offer, they came to $389 shipped, which is only $70 more than what I would have paid for Strands during the recent sale with sales tax.  For me, there was no question the step up in quality was worth an extra $70.

Where are you ordering these Carmina's from? Their website or epaulet?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Originally Posted by ridethecliche

300+ dollars for shoes is not cheap...Some of the seconds sales like the 2 for 250 etc are probably getting there though.

I don't think you understand how a normal distribution works.

Uh... I think I know a little more about stats than you think I do, but really that wasn't the point.

I do, however, wish that I knew more about stats and programming for stats. It would help a ton with my job planning/running studies.

Last edited:

bbob2013

Reaction score
Quick question gents (as I am relatively new to the high-end shoe world),

I just took a stroll during my lunch break and found a local cobbler. I asked how much he charged for adding rubber soles and he said $50. I asked if he would do it for $30 if I promised to bring in two more pairs of shoes next week (Strands and Neumoks). He agreed.

Is $30 a reasonable price for vibram soles and heel caps (I think that's what he called them)?

Anyways, it took about 10 minutes so I waited while he did the work on my Daltons.

Hey folks, first post here!

I say 30.00 is a decent price. In Houston area I'm paying 35.00 for Goodyear rubber soles. I have started to get all my leather soled AEs done this way. I just can't get the leather to last more than about 8 months before the leather wears too much.

I don't know if it's typical, but it looks like my cobbler sands the sides and applies new dressing making it appear more factory.

Speaking of rubber soles, I have had three installed by the same guy. Two (McTavish) and it looks like he cut these1-2mm of the sole off so the rubber would recess a bit. Hard to see in this pic though:

And the other shoe (Player), he just put it on with no cutting of the sole:

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

tampatravel

Reaction score

Yes, but which AEs?! Also, did you ask if they were seconds? ;)

Ahhh...so I was just in the security line at Boston Logan when the fella behind me put his boots in the grey trays. They were AEs and I commented on them. Turns out he was Vincenzo from the Shoe Bank in Port Washington. Strange Strange small shoe world we live in.

Shaker Heights in Chili with orange laces.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shaker Heights in Chili with orange laces.

Love those. Maybe next year will pick up a pair (up to six pairs this year already. Gotta slow down)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads