1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

I presume you do not have a doctorate in the shoe manufacturing either. If you looked at the original thread, I simply stated that AE is on the left hand side of the distribution of the quality (which, by the way, is probably not normal, but rather Gamma or Beta, the way I see it), Goodyear welted shoes. Do you think I am not qualified enough to make this statement? If so, I will continue to improve my knowledge.

I strictly mentioned about my background in stats in respect to the following (hope this was not too obnoxious):

Originally Posted by ridethecliche [​IMG]

300+ dollars for shoes is not cheap...Some of the seconds sales like the 2 for 250 etc are probably getting there though.

I don't think you understand how a normal distribution works.

2. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

I think we are confusing two quite different things here: shoes in general and Goodyear shoes. These are like comparing apples and oranges. As far as I am concerned, you can't compare AE and Ecco, but you can compare AE and Edward Green.

Yes, AE are expensive compare to Aldo (less so compare to Cole Haan), but they are cheaper than Alden, which, in turn is cheaper than C&J, which, in turn is cheaper than Edward Green and so on.

If we are strictly talking about the Goodyear welted shoes, then AE is probably as low as it gets and $300 is an absolute minimum for the shoes in this league.

3. kentyman

kentyman Senior Member

Anyone who's taken a freshman stat class has an understanding of normal distributions and standard deviations. I was merely commenting that your legitimately impressive overqualification when it comes to the subject of statistics doesn't mean we have to "trust you" and take your shoe brand opinions as gospel.

Wasn't trying to offend; just pointing out that your education isn't exactly applicable.

4. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

You're right. I was just referring to my original statement about the continuum of the Goodyear welted shoes.

5. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

No worries. I was just referring to the issue of distribution, not the quality of shoes, as I have stated clearly.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

I just placed an order for a pair of suede Carmina's that are similar to AE's Strand. With the current free shipping offer, they came to $389 shipped, which is only $70 more than what I would have paid for Strands during the recent sale with sales tax. For me, there was no question the step up in quality was worth an extra $70.

7. rydenfan

rydenfan Distinguished Member

Doctorate in statistics is badass! I took AP Stats in high school and still find it to one of the most useful classes I ever took as far as applicability to daily life

8. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Senior Member

Which model did you order?

9. Gauss17

Gauss17 Distinguished Member

Where are you ordering these Carmina's from? Their website or epaulet?

10. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

Uh... I think I know a little more about stats than you think I do, but really that wasn't the point.

I do, however, wish that I knew more about stats and programming for stats. It would help a ton with my job planning/running studies.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

11. bbob2013

bbob2013 Senior Member

Hey folks, first post here!

I say 30.00 is a decent price. In Houston area I'm paying 35.00 for Goodyear rubber soles. I have started to get all my leather soled AEs done this way. I just can't get the leather to last more than about 8 months before the leather wears too much.

I don't know if it's typical, but it looks like my cobbler sands the sides and applies new dressing making it appear more factory.

Speaking of rubber soles, I have had three installed by the same guy. Two (McTavish) and it looks like he cut these1-2mm of the sole off so the rubber would recess a bit. Hard to see in this pic though:

[​IMG]

And the other shoe (Player), he just put it on with no cutting of the sole:

[​IMG]

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

12. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Senior Member

I understand the reason why you guys put on sole protectors but in my experiences, it makes the soles stiffer and less flex.

13. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior Member

Shaker Heights in Chili with orange laces.

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

Love those. Maybe next year will pick up a pair (up to six pairs this year already. Gotta slow down)

15. Subutai

Subutai Senior Member

Looks good! makes me feel guilty, Neumora's are a favorite and mine could use a polish

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.