1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NWTeal

NWTeal Distinguished Member

I agree. Out of everyone I see at work (and I travel to multiple client sites and have worked in two large cities), I will likely see maybe one person wearing what I would bet are goodyear welted. Everyone else is wearing square toed or beat up black loafers/derbies.

Also, Carminas are currently 325 euros for the cheapest pair and for the most part 340 or 400 plus euros. Converted to USD thats over 430 for the cheapest pair. It's not fair to compare.

Edit: I assume the VAT deduction would bring 340 euros down to be around $400 USD, more comparable. Likely better compared to the independence collection or aldens at that range though.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

2. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

If you think of the Gaussian distribution (aka Normal) as representing the continuum of quality Goodyear welted shoes, AE is 2 standard deviations below the mean, which will probably be some UK-made shoes, like Trickers or C&J.
    P.S. Trust me on the distribution thing, I have a doctorate in statistics :)

3. NWTeal

NWTeal Distinguished Member

McAllister as a balmoral is probably too formal for jeans and casual chinos. They are best worn with pressed trousers I think.

A larchmont or kenilworth would be good. The last and squared toe of the larchmont makes it a little bit more formal IMO as well. Kenilworth or MacNeils are probably the better choice. People have some bowing issues with the Kenilworth which is why I'd guess the reviews are a little negative. Make sure to get fitted.

4. wdahab

wdahab Distinguished Member

I wear walnut McAllisters with jeans and chinos all the time. They look great and totally appropriate.

5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

Freshly polished. Not bad, getting better at it...

6. cincikid

cincikid Senior Member

Thank you, ddahab. This was pretty much my hunch as well. With so much variation in color on a shell, this is not something I should really worry about, but other things equal, it would be nice not to have this variation at the outset. This said, I went ahead and mailed them to Nick V. at B.Nelson. I hope he will be able to offer his help.

7. drcharlie

drcharlie Well-Known Member

The place that charged $17 for plastic heel and toe taps (and made me come back the next day for them) was in the Kroger Plaza at Bartlett Blvd and Stage Road in Bartlett. I think their name is Bartlett Shoe Repair.

The other one is Cobblestone in a plaza off Sanderlin in East Memphis, it is behind a Fox & Hound. I was told you could get toe/heel taps done while you wait--the price was substantially cheaper than the one in Bartlett. At Cobblestone, it was $20 for a Goodyear brand rubber half sole and heel taps. It may have been about $15 for the Goodyear half soles and $5 for the heel taps. They did a good job-much better than I could ever imagine doing myself.

8. IronStyle

IronStyle Well-Known Member

I'm going to keep them and I know no one will notice but wanted to make sure for firsts people found it acceptable. Thanks and they are really nice looking overall.

9. kentyman

kentyman Senior Member

Wingtip balmorals like the McAllister can be pretty dressy. I've worn my Strands (captoe balmoral) with jeans and I like the look, but it's not exactly standard. I really like my (burgundy shell) Kenilworths with jeans, and would highly recommend them. Don't let the reviews bother you too much.

10. kentyman

kentyman Senior Member

Yes, but which AEs?! Also, did you ask if they were seconds? ;)

11. salgy

salgy Well-Known Member

Thanks... Another good local guy (albeit also out of the way) is nu life shoe repair off summer & waring

12. kentyman

kentyman Senior Member

Your stat doctorate qualifies you as an expert on shoe brand quality?

13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

I didn't say goodyear welted shoes. I said shoes or even formal footwear. My comparison was AE vs average dress shoe. You're redistributing everything in the 1+ SD above the mean for all formal footwear. Maybe even higher.

In your (different) comparison, I might have to agree, though I don't know enough about the more expensive stuff to lend any expertise.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

14. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior Member

Wake up? What got your panties in a wad? I didn't say they were high end, I said they were high end compared to the dress shoes that most guys buy (in the mind of the average man). Most guys would rather spend their money on things other than shoes. I am not one of those guys, and neither are you... good for us. I know Carmina is higher quality than AE, I never said that AE was higher quality than Carmina.

I don't know where or what kind of lifestyle you live, but if it is anything like the Average guy's lifestyle you would know that most of us are perfectly fine with $100 dress shoes, and happen to think $350 for a pair of shoes is simply too expensive.

I didn't think that saying typical guys view AE's as high end shoes would elicit such a response, and I apologize if my words offended you.

15. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior Member

1) My experience is that the sizing chart is accurate, but nothing beats actually fitting the shoes since there are so many other factors that are not measured by the guide (instep, etc.). Also, there are AE shoes in Rustan's, Makati. I believe they have most of the 5-last styles, but I'm just not sure if they stock on the different widths as well.

2) I have both and I prefer the styling of the Strand more. The McAllister is a very close second.

3) I don't recommend buying second hand shoes especially if it's going to be your first pair. The main reason being you usually can't return pre-owned pairs just because you got the wrong size. Get the size right first and then you can be more adventurous. If you can afford it, just get new pairs -- first or second quality (unless, of course, the style you want is no longer available).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.