• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cincikid

Reaction score
Uh... I think I know a little more about stats than you think I do, but really that wasn't the point.

I do, however, wish that I knew more about stats and programming for stats. It would help a ton with my job planning/running studies.
Believe me, I have no intention of questioning your stats skills. Neither did I mean to offend you, if I did inadvertently. I would agree though, that it's pretty hard not to land a good job with stats background.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which model did you order?

It's identical to the Strand, but on the Forest last and in brown suede. I don't have a picture available.

Where are you ordering these Carmina's from? Their website or epaulet?

The suede pair I ordered directly from Carmina. It's not in the e-store, but they had it available in one of the stores. I've also got a black captoe coming from Gentlemen's Footwear. Epaulet adds another $150 or so on to the cost.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think we are confusing two quite different things here: shoes in general and Goodyear shoes. These are like comparing apples and oranges. As far as I am concerned, you can't compare AE and Ecco, but you can compare AE and Edward Green. 

Yes, AE are expensive compare to Aldo (less so compare to Cole Haan), but they are cheaper than Alden, which, in turn is cheaper than C&J, which, in turn is cheaper than Edward Green and so on.

If we are strictly talking about the Goodyear welted shoes, then AE is probably as low as it gets and $300 is an absolute minimum for the shoes in this league. 

^^This explains a lot.

Wake up? What got your panties in a wad? I didn't say they were high end, I said they were high end compared to the dress shoes that most guys buy (in the mind of the average man). Most guys would rather spend their money on things other than shoes. I am not one of those guys, and neither are you... good for us. I know Carmina is higher quality than AE, I never said that AE was higher quality than Carmina.

I don't know where or what kind of lifestyle you live, but if it is anything like the Average guy's lifestyle you would know that most of us are perfectly fine with $100 dress shoes, and happen to think $350 for a pair of shoes is simply too expensive.

I didn't think that saying typical guys view AE's as high end shoes would elicit such a response, and I apologize if my words offended you.

I don’t feel offended by your words. Anyway we all live and learn. Good luck and all the best to your sartorial journey.

Last edited:

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great shoes. I'll need a new pair of tromping shoes soon. Maybe I'll pick those up.

Btw, are you a professional clarinetist?

More conductor and teacher than player these days.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just placed an order for a pair of suede Carmina's that are similar to AE's Strand.  With the current free shipping offer, they came to $389 shipped, which is only $70 more than what I would have paid for Strands during the recent sale with sales tax.  For me, there was no question the step up in quality was worth an extra $70.

Technicality, but I think suede strands were $290 which would make it $100 or 33% more expensive if we are comparing promotions to each other. For the majority of SF members, that's not a lot in absolute value but it's a significant percentage premium. Either way, if I wasn't eyeing some marlows or had no experience in carmina sizing, I'd likely do the same.

motosacto

Reaction score

If we are strictly talking about the Goodyear welted shoes, then AE is probably as low as it gets and $300 is an absolute minimum for the shoes in this league. 

Completely wrong. Johnston & Murphy and Florsheim both make Goodyear welted shoes that retail for around $180 or so, and go on sale to below $100. They are widely available in the USA. They're definitely not as well made as AE shoes. But they ARE Goodyear welted.

On another note, every time I see statistics used in persuasive arguments, I am reminded of Mark Twain...

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On a lace-up, your toes need not be all the way forward in the shoe.  The problem you may encounter, however, is that the shoe will flex in the cap, which doesn't look great and can pinch your toes.  I would probably go a half size down and have the shoes stretched to accommodate your pinky toe.  AE will do this for free.  I had it done on one pair with very good results.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
I think we are confusing two quite different things here: shoes in general and Goodyear shoes. These are like comparing apples and oranges. As far as I am concerned, you can't compare AE and Ecco, but you can compare AE and Edward Green.

Yes, AE are expensive compare to Aldo (less so compare to Cole Haan), but they are cheaper than Alden, which, in turn is cheaper than C&J, which, in turn is cheaper than Edward Green and so on.

I have no objections to what you said in your post other than the part about being confused. My original remarks were about what most men wear, which is far from goodyear welted shoes. I have no problem or objections to what you said about AE being on the lower end of the quality spectrum when it comes to goodyear welted shoes. You couldn't be more correct. My comment was simply stating that (since most men don't wear goodyear welted shoes) AE's to the average man (we on SF are not average men when it comes to shoes) are most definitely high end shoes.

My second comment, the one you quoted, was directed at the guy who got all upset when he misinterpreted my statement to mean that I somehow thought AE's were of higher quality than Carmina, which was not in any way what my comment stated.

Yes, AE's are expensive compared to Ecco, Aldo, Cole Haan, Rockport... which is what most men buy, which is why most men view AE shoes as high end (not highest end).

My original post was not disagreeing with your original post. I was simply saying that, from a typical man's perspective, AE's are high end shoes.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
Completely wrong. Johnston & Murphy and Florsheim both make Goodyear welted shoes that retail for around $180 or so, and go on sale to below $100. They are widely available in the USA. They're definitely not as well made as AE shoes. But they ARE Goodyear welted.

On another note, every time I see statistics used in persuasive arguments, I am reminded of Mark Twain...

just curious... why does that remind you of Mark Twain? Please tell, I'm sure he had something funny to say about statistics.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, AE's are expensive compared to Ecco, Aldo, Cole Haan, Rockport... which is what most men buy, which is why most men view AE shoes as high end (not highest end).

I remember a simpler time when I thought Eccos and Cole Haans were expensive. :)

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
I remember a simpler time when I thought Eccos and Cole Haans were expensive.
smile.gif

yep... that time for me was less than a year ago... I'm glad to have seen the light though. My Eccos make me sad when I see them :(

jasonmx3

Reaction score
just curious... why does that remind you of Mark Twain? Please tell, I'm sure he had something funny to say about statistics.
to bolster weak arguments. It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point.

The term was popularised in the United States by Mark Twain (among others), who attributed it to the 19th-century British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli (1804–1881): "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." However, the phrase is not found in any of Disraeli's works and the earliest known appearances were years after his death. Other coiners have therefore been proposed, and the phrase is often attributed to Twain himself.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Believe me, I have no intention of questioning your stats skills. Neither did I mean to offend you, if I did inadvertently. I would agree though, that it's pretty hard not to land a good job with stats background.
Nope :)

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

just curious... why does that remind you of Mark Twain?  Please tell, I'm sure he had something funny to say about statistics.

[quote url="[URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistics[/URL]"]
 From Wikipedia:

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments. It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point.

The term was popularised in the United States by Mark Twain (among others), who attributed it to the 19th-century British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli (1804–1881): "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." However, the phrase is not found in any of Disraeli's works and the earliest known appearances were years after his death. Other coiners have therefore been proposed, and the phrase is often attributed to Twain himself.

[/quote]

cheers, jason, very interesting!

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Technicality, but I think suede strands were $290 which would make it $100 or 33% more expensive if we are comparing promotions to each other. For the majority of SF members, that's not a lot in absolute value but it's a significant percentage premium. Either way, if I wasn't eyeing some marlows or had no experience in carmina sizing, I'd likely do the same.

correct - $290, but for those of us lucky enough to live in Chicago with 10% sales tax, it becomes a comparison between $319 and $389, which makes the decision easy. Our high sales tax is one of the reasons that I will ocasionally order from Amazon and cross my fingers they send me a decent pair without defects.

I love AE, but unless I can get a pair of firsts for $250 or less, I keep finding myself drawn to spending the extra $100 or so to upgrade. If we're talking AE seconds, then I completely agree with you as there is a huge jump between the $125-150 range that we keep seeing seconds going for and $400. Frankly, it just underscores the tremendous value AE offers in seconds (calfskin and shell).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads