• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to point out something that is more qualitative than pure money vs. quality. AE has a much larger range of widths than Carmina and many other of the higher-than-AE-end shoe makers (other than of course the bespoke guys). Their lasts are also really good combination lasts, for the most part (even though they don't really bill them as such) much better than, say, that other USA-shoe maker whose "combination" lasts are laughable.

I think that no one can really argue whether Carmina is higher-quality or not, just one look and you can see it in the stitching. And some of their shoes are offered in EE by default, with no normal widths, so yes I'm taking that into account. But at the end of the day, for variety of sizes and fits, not to mention the availability of (relatively) dirt-cheap seconds, AE doesn't have much competition.

For those of you with normal width feet, though, carry on debating.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would like to point out something that is more qualitative than pure money vs. quality. AE has a much larger range of widths than Carmina and many other of the higher-than-AE-end shoe makers (other than of course the bespoke guys). Their lasts are also really good combination lasts, for the most part (even though they don't really bill them as such) much better than, say, that other USA-shoe maker whose "combination" lasts are laughable.

I think that no one can really argue whether Carmina is higher-quality or not, just one look and you can see it in the stitching. And some of their shoes are offered in EE by default, with no normal widths, so yes I'm taking that into account. But at the end of the day, for variety of sizes and fits, not to mention the availability of (relatively) dirt-cheap seconds, AE doesn't have much competition.

I'd like to echo the above. The entire reason I was drawn to Allen Edmonds in the first place comes down to AA widths. I'd love to give Carmina a shot -- NAMOR's navy shell boots make me cry -- but yeah, that's not happening ever. So I hang out in here instead to avoid torturing myself in the Alden and Carmina threads.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed. It doesn't matter how cheap I can find C&J or how great the quality is - because they don't fit me. At the end of the day, if it doesn't fit, it sits in the closet unworn - no matter how pretty the shoe is. The only reason I've been buying Carmina lately is because the Forest last fits my somewhat wide foot just as well as AE's 5 last. If I were a true E, EE or A width or had some other sizing irregularity, I would be a 100% AE customer.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yep... that time for me was less than a year ago...  I'm glad to have seen the light though.  My Eccos make me sad when I see them :(

Donate them! I'm sure someone could use them.

Last edited:

cincikid

Reaction score
Completely wrong. Johnston & Murphy and Florsheim both make Goodyear welted shoes that retail for around $180 or so, and go on sale to below $100. They are widely available in the USA. They're definitely not as well made as AE shoes. But they ARE Goodyear welted.

On another note, every time I see statistics used in persuasive arguments, I am reminded of Mark Twain...
Could you please point me at the J&M Goodyear welted shoes priced at $180?
If you took your time to read through the posts last night, you'd see that I was not the first to mention statistics. Btw, I like the quote you are referring to . I must admit though that although statistics has changed a lot since mid-19th century, people's perception didn't.

DNSamurai

Reaction score
The price also varies by the quality of the rubber sole (e.g. no-name vs. Vibram) but I'd say $30 sounds reasonable. I am actually curious to try whether this might be something I could do on a weekend. I have a pair of old Loake's for this small DIY project.

P.S. If you a looking for the "high-end shoe world," you might be on a wrong thread. AE is definitely at the left-hand side of the distribution of the quality, Goodyear welted shoes.

As it was my post that initially sparked this discussion, I figure it's only fair that I weigh in.

Taken with no other context, I agree that saying AE is "high-end" may in fact not be true. If you are looking at the spectrum of all shoe makers in the world, AE would most definitely be to the left of the median.

However, taken in the context that probably 90% of the population doesn't buy shoes above the $150 mark (total assumption, I have no actual stats to back that up), then any shoes above that I would consider "high-end". Does that necessarily mean that shoes above that mark are in fact of higher quality? No; but for the sake of argument let's assume that price is commensurate with quality.

The point is that it's all relative.

Most people consider BMW/Audi/Mercedes to be high-end cars. But what if you compare them to say a Bugatti/Ferrari/Lamborghini? Context!

Since I was introduced to the world of AE, I spend an unhealthy amount of time looking at what shoes people are wearing. I live and work in Washington, DC. Between the lawyers, lobbyists, and government officials, there is no shortage of people who dress up for work every day. The number I've seen wearing AE or other higher priced shoes is definitely the minority.

cincikid

Reaction score
I'd point out these, which my brother-in-law wore for his wedding (he's in a suit maybe three times a year and didn't want to spend AE prices).
Thanks, Adam. Interesting, I've never seen a J&M Goodyear welted shoe for less than $250 until now, but I must admit I stopped looking in their direction a while ago. It's made in India though, which explains the cost differential. How do you think they compare to AE?

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, Adam. Interesting, I've never seen a J&M Goodyear welted shoe for less than $250 until now, but I must admit I stopped looking in their direction a while ago. It's made in India though, which explains the cost differential. How do you think they compare to AE?
I didn't want to fondle the man's shoes on his wedding day, so I can't speak one way or the other regarding the quality of the leather, but they took a shine and looked good. He was really pleased with the fit; his feet are 13C, and I think he'd never owned comfortable dress shoes before. Wedding planner guy noticed my Park Avenues and didn't say anything about the groom's footwear so maybe the differences are more readily apparent to folks who look harder than I do.

DJTraveler

Reaction score
Just picked up these brand new Seven Hills in bourbon on the Bay. Really pleased with them. They're on the 2 last and have the v-tread tap sole. Very comfortable! Not sure why AE decided not to go full production on these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads