• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbtaylor

Reaction score
Quote:
The fit is pretty spot on with other shoes on the 5 last. These are perhaps more comfortable, not sure why, mabe just the extra security the boot provides. Absolutely thrilled so far. As far as Dalton v. Fifth St, I have both and could not choose one over the other. They are both great and so different so both are needed imo ha. I think either can work casually or dressed up.

maxmaxmaxmax

Reaction score

I never wear dress shoes GOING or leaving work. I live in the suburbs and work downtown, in the summer I wear my Nike frees which I also work out in from the main station downtown Toronto to my work which is about a 10 minute walk.

In winter I wear LL bean boots from train to work. I don't care how silly it looks that I'm wearing running shoes while in dress pants going to work, this is how I prolong the life of my AE's.

Come to think of it, I very rarely wear my AE's outside of work unless it's a formal event to which my shoes won't get trashed.

I wear terrible looking but comfortable shoes if it's called for say at a bar or lounge etc where no one looks at your shoes

I'm also in Toronto and do something similar. In nicer weather I wear eccos to / from work on the subway etc. In the winter I wear low rise boots. I keep my four pairs of AE in the office to keep them nice.

J

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a call from Debbie today - my shell Sheltons and MacNeils are on their way! On an interesting note, they put golf cleats on my shark Sheltons. No one is exactly sure why. They are putting the correct soles on them, but apparently there is a heel cushion in golf shoes that they cannot get rid of. I'm excited to see if they fit anways, as there is no more material left.

<>I agree that the trick to keep a natural looking shine on cordovan shoes is to use the minimal amount of polish on it. The amount of cream used in this official AE video is wayyyy too much

A few questions on AE products.

Cotton flannel cloth. Any reason why I shouldn't just use an old t-shirt?
Is there any difference between AE's carnauba wax and Kiwi's wax polish?
Last, should the same coloured wax polish be used to achieve a mirror shine or can neutral wax do the job?

Thanks.
Flannel is softer, it depends on what you want to use it for though. I use old T-shirts to apply wax or cream. For final and maintenance buffing I have used many things but I like the microfiber towels best.

AE Carnauba wax is easier and faster to get a shine than Kiwi IMO. Not saying there is anything wrong with Kiwi, it is harder and as AmericanGent said when he was talking about spit shinning it is hard to beat if you go that route. But it takes longer to get there.

I prefer matching color paste wax for a mirror shine over neutral wax. To me neutral lacks the depth of colored waxes when done but that could just be me, more than a few people use it.

Subutai

Reaction score

So the Ashton is just the orthotic version of the Walton? Those look exactly like the shoes I am wearing at work today.

This is referring to leather soled shoes correct? All my shoes are from the orthotic line and have the rubber (vibram?) soles. How do these compare to the leather soles in time it takes for them to need replacement?

Rubber soles do not need to be replaced as frequently as leather soles.

That said, I'd recommend giving leather soles a shot when you make your next purchase and feel the difference. In general, they also look much better

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm also in Toronto and do something similar. In nicer weather I wear eccos to / from work on the subway etc. In the winter I wear low rise boots. I keep my four pairs of AE in the office to keep them nice.

J
How do you maintain your shoes if they are always in the office?

jrarnold

Reaction score
Quote:
I would need to find a shoe that can accomodate custom orthotics in one of the non orthotic models or order custom leather soles on one of the orthotic models. I do have a new sport orthotic thanks to the suggestions from this thread but I haven't had a chance to have it fitted at an AE store yet. I have three pairs of AE shoes now and I'm not certain what exactly I would want with a leather sole. I have the Ashton in chili and black and the Scottsdale in burgundy. I'm sure that as long as I keep lurking this thread I will find something that I 'need'.

Last edited:

paperfire

Reaction score
Hey I have one quick question. In the last 5, how much space should you have after the big toe ends? I am wearing a pair of 9.5 and the ball of my foot is at the widest part of the shoe, but there is an inch between my big toe and the end of the shoe. Other than that, the shoe fits fine. Is this okay?

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's where my toe is as well in my strands. Much of the toe box on the five is useless space. The shoe fits me well everywhere else so I don't worry about it.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flannel is softer, it depends on what you want to use it for though. I use old T-shirts to apply wax or cream. For final and maintenance buffing I have used many things but I like the microfiber towels best.

AE Carnauba wax is easier and faster to get a shine than Kiwi IMO. Not saying there is anything wrong with Kiwi, it is harder and as AmericanGent said when he was talking about spit shinning it is hard to beat if you go that route. But it takes longer to get there.

I prefer matching color paste wax for a mirror shine over neutral wax. To me neutral lacks the depth of colored waxes when done but that could just be me, more than a few people use it.

Thanks for getting back to me on this, Cold Iron! That definitely answers my questions quite well.

Now... Here's something interesting. A balmoral short-wing boot in burgundy shell by AE? Is this something we'll see in the fall? The model name is "BOLT." If it wasn't for the tear in the shell, I would have snapped this up. It looks spectacular.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLEN-EDMON...7747828?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item35c889e874

DJTraveler

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me on this, Cold Iron! That definitely answers my questions quite well.

Now... Here's something interesting. A balmoral short-wing boot in burgundy shell by AE? Is this something we'll see in the fall? The model name is "BOLT." If it wasn't for the tear in the shell, I would have snapped this up. It looks spectacular.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLEN-EDMON...7747828?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item35c889e874

That shoe is stunning! I'd buy it in a heartbeat in my size!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads