Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Pretty much!

2. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Quote:The fit is pretty spot on with other shoes on the 5 last. These are perhaps more comfortable, not sure why, mabe just the extra security the boot provides. Absolutely thrilled so far. As far as Dalton v. Fifth St, I have both and could not choose one over the other. They are both great and so different so both are needed imo ha. I think either can work casually or dressed up.

3. maxmaxmaxmax

maxmaxmaxmax Active Member

I'm also in Toronto and do something similar. In nicer weather I wear eccos to / from work on the subway etc. In the winter I wear low rise boots. I keep my four pairs of AE in the office to keep them nice.

J

4. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

+1

I have the Hale in Walnut and it is my favorite of all my shoes. I'd love to see a picture of yours in Chili.

5. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Can the waxed leather of the mctavish be treated the same as other calf shoes?

6. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Quote:Pretty much just need to use conditioner cleaner

7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Flannel is softer, it depends on what you want to use it for though. I use old T-shirts to apply wax or cream. For final and maintenance buffing I have used many things but I like the microfiber towels best.

AE Carnauba wax is easier and faster to get a shine than Kiwi IMO. Not saying there is anything wrong with Kiwi, it is harder and as AmericanGent said when he was talking about spit shinning it is hard to beat if you go that route. But it takes longer to get there.

I prefer matching color paste wax for a mirror shine over neutral wax. To me neutral lacks the depth of colored waxes when done but that could just be me, more than a few people use it.

8. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Rubber soles do not need to be replaced as frequently as leather soles.

That said, I'd recommend giving leather soles a shot when you make your next purchase and feel the difference. In general, they also look much better

9. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

How do you maintain your shoes if they are always in the office?

10. jrarnold

jrarnold Well-Known Member

Quote:I would need to find a shoe that can accomodate custom orthotics in one of the non orthotic models or order custom leather soles on one of the orthotic models. I do have a new sport orthotic thanks to the suggestions from this thread but I haven't had a chance to have it fitted at an AE store yet. I have three pairs of AE shoes now and I'm not certain what exactly I would want with a leather sole. I have the Ashton in chili and black and the Scottsdale in burgundy. I'm sure that as long as I keep lurking this thread I will find something that I 'need'.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

11. paperfire

paperfire Member

Hey I have one quick question. In the last 5, how much space should you have after the big toe ends? I am wearing a pair of 9.5 and the ball of my foot is at the widest part of the shoe, but there is an inch between my big toe and the end of the shoe. Other than that, the shoe fits fine. Is this okay?

12. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

That's where my toe is as well in my strands. Much of the toe box on the five is useless space. The shoe fits me well everywhere else so I don't worry about it.

13. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

Thanks for getting back to me on this, Cold Iron! That definitely answers my questions quite well.

Now... Here's something interesting. A balmoral short-wing boot in burgundy shell by AE? Is this something we'll see in the fall? The model name is "BOLT." If it wasn't for the tear in the shell, I would have snapped this up. It looks spectacular.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLEN-EDMON...7747828?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item35c889e874

14. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

That shoe is stunning! I'd buy it in a heartbeat in my size!

15. tsekh

tsekh Senior member

The burnishing on that particular pair of boot looks awful though. But if this will be available later this fall, I'll probably order a pair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.