• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

..in the U.S. If you happen to be in Canada, your options are somewhat more limited. Granted, there are still stores that carry them, but more often than not they have limited sizes in stock and need to order many sizes. Which means that you are often ordering in the dark.

I've been fortunate that my three pairs of AE shoes have fit quite well at my usual size (10.5 D). However, I've heard that some of the other lasts fit quite differently. Even Harry Rosen, who sell AE shoes, only carry different sizes in certain styles, and not a lot of variation in terms of widths, etc.

And as to the original poster's comment, I've found that my AE's have become a little more comfortable over time, as the leather flexes and softens up a bit. If they are painful to begin with, they aren't going to get substantially better, but I do find that as the shoe molds to your foot over time, it will become even easier to wear.

Very true. I think in terms of AE, REGO might be the cheapest. My kenilworth right out the box weren't as comfortable as my fifth avenue's. The moment I tried on the fifth avenue's it was like walking on a cloud.

Subutai

Reaction score
The store is newly open. Some AE Sales staff are too new to know the difference in your arch, width, shoe last, etc.

If you wore the shoes for 1 year, AE would take them back. That is why they have a very high rating.

Insist on speaking to the Manager of the store, and mention to him you are willing to go to another store to get properly fitted.

In the end, your foot may not be suited for a Park Avenue. They are made in what is called the "5 Last (65)" mold, which is "best for a long narrow foot".

Other excellent styles may have a more comfortable feel right out of the box. Explore the AE Website.

I think there is a little confusion here. The store he is referring to is not the new store, that tiny shop has been there for a while. The newer store is one on 43rd street, a few blocks further west. I go to both and haven't had a bad experience. I do, however, prefer the store on 43rd as it's much bigger. The Rockefeller location gets too crowded in my opinion, but the staff is great.

Regarding PA's fit, I'd usually say go with a little snug but not uncomfortable. BigRob, you can take some time to wear them at home on carpet to see if it gets better (it should). You can return the shoes so long as you don't wear them outside, they don't mind creases.

PK35216

Reaction score
So, I recently acquired some odd AE shoes on the bay, which were marketed as suede, and looked like suede in pictures, but which strike me in person more like nubuck or something similar.

They are brown Barton captoes on the One Last (corporate casual models judging by the rubber soles):

Any clues as to the material of the upper?

They fit well at 9.5C, which is not surprising since I measure 9.5C on brannock, but these are my first 9.5C on the One Last (9D Daltons fit kind of tight in the length).

And my brown suede Cambridges just for sh%ts and giggles (amazing!):

I have a pair of Holbrooks that look like that - they are made of chocolate chamois. I'm thinking that is what you have.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. That is a good tip, which I will explore further.
I looked up Chamois on the AE shoe care guide in the back of their catalogue, which provides a reference for the type of care product to use on each type of leather, etc., they sell, but I couldn't find Chamois. (I've certainly heard of that material on some exotic Alden models, I think.) Do you have any recommendations as to care. My pair seem to be in good condition and don't seem to need any particular care at the moment . . but for the future?

Pretty much just need to use conditioner cleaner

CB, as to your question about what product to use on the McTavish waxed rough leather, I'm sure that conditioner/cleaner is just fine to use (I use it on all of my calfskin models regularly). However, I would note that AE's product catalogue recommends the AE leather lotion, and I have followed that advice with my tan and black McTavishes with success (though I would note that the leather lotion slightly darkened the tan pair, but only slightly. Once it absorbs into the leather, the lighter nature of the tan color reemerges).

Here is the guide page that I photographed a while back for future reference:

(see the Waxed and Grain Leather paragraph, since the McTavish is a waxed leather)

I'm not experiencing a rough spot. When I take a step, the leather on the top of the shoe creases inward and digs into the top of my foot.

Is this abnormal? Can I expect it to self-correct?

BigRob, it sounds to me like the shoe is too wide and has too much volume over the top of your foot. I have very low volume (or short instep?) feet, such that bluchers often have way too much leather on top of my foot and will fold in and pinch the top of my foot as I walk. That is why 90% of my collection of AE shoes are balmoral style like the park avenue. That said, since you are having the problem with the park avenue, I would also note that I experienced this same problem to some degree with my first pair of strands (also a balmoral on the 5 last like the park avenue). I bought it in 9D and wore it for a long time as a pretty damn comfortable shoe, but it started to pinch down after a while. I later realized that 9.5C often works better for me in 5 last balmorals, and I replaced that strand with the appropriate size. (Incidentally, a good store rep should recognize the problem I am addressing immediately!) (Also, AE prides itself on customer service, and in my experience, they will exchange your shoes for a better fitting size even if you have worn them for several weeks or even months, as long as you bought them from an AE corporate store or seconds outlet. Of course, you should not do that when you have doubts up front as to fit.)

In sum, I would consider whether going down in width one step (maybe two, but I doubt it) would help. You may simultaneously need to go up one half size in length, so try all the permutations. One of the great benefits of wearing AE is that most of the popular models like the park avenue are available in all widths from A to EEE.

To echo others, it will not self-correct. Also, as to your statements about comfort, I used to think the same way you do about shoes. How can a leather sole shoe with a hard leather insole be comfortable. But i learned very quickly how comfortable a good fitting pair of all leather AE's can be. Plus, your foot will to some degree adjust over a week or two to the new normal of a proper dress shoe and not the rubber abominations that most men wear in your law office. Way too many lawyers in my area wear such crap. I used to be one of them, unfortunately.

PK35216

Reaction score
Here is page from the Alden thread about chamois that I found interesting:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/19140

Apparently, there is normal chamois like I have, and then reverse chamois, which is like a more oily version of a suede shoe. Also, there is or was an AE chamois oil product to purchase, so I am going to do more research.

PK35216

Reaction score
Incidentally, I don't know how I missed this for all this time, but here is a link to the AE website's shoe care guide:

http://content.allenedmonds.com/pdf/ShoeCareReference.pdf

Also, Chris, it lists your Holbrooks as brown chromexcel leather and recommends AE's Leather Lotion.

My Barton model is not listed by the way (many vintage models are excluded, it appears to me).

PK35216

Reaction score

frogwash

Reaction score

I bought a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenue shoes yesterday after work.  They weren't very comfortable in the store but I had read all the rave reviews online and was prepared for a breaking-in period during which they would be uncomfortable (and still am prepared for that).

I'm worried that I might be feeling something usual, though: With each step I take, the top of the shoe is cramping the top of my foot.  The leather is folding inward when the shoe bends and it's digging into my toe-knuckles.  I haven't worn my shoes outside yet (making sure I like these $350 shoes before I commit) -  can I expect this to stop?  Did anyone else experience this same thing before going on to enjoy their AE Park Avenues?

Yes, I experienced the same feeling when I was shopping for an Allen Edmonds selection.  It turned out the original salesman sized me for the wrong size!  What is the name of the store you bought them from?  If a national retail store, then I suggest you call immediately and ask for the name of the Manager of the Men's Shoes, and explain that you will be returning your selection for either a refund or a correct size, and you wish to know in advance if they have other sizes.

With the right size, in calfskin, you should be able to wear them now - without a breaking in.  Even some AE shoes that need a breakin may not feel that uncomfortable to wear.

There is so much more that goes into correctly sizing an Allen Edmonds shoe - from what they refer to as the "Last" - which is a mold - to the ability to size up or down and going wider, like a tripe e (eee).

Insist that a professional take the time to size you correctly for your arch (which is what it appears to me as the issue).  Also, try on other sty;les in your revised sizing that may may different "Lasts" - or molds, so that you can make note of which "Last" is best for you in which size.

All my best,

David

What does sizing "for the arch" have to do with the leather creasing in over the toes? Why do you think that is the cause of BigRob's problem? Please explain.

David Copeland

Reaction score
What does sizing "for the arch" have to do with the leather creasing in over the toes? Why do you think that is the cause of BigRob's problem? Please explain.
There may be more issues going on with his sizing than length and width. It could be the last/mold of the model as well. A professional, who has years of experience in measuring and feeling the foot inside the shoe, is going to be able to diagnose potential arch issues and other stress points. No one here can perform the analysis on his sizing, but based on what he wrote (in all of his posts), he may have gotten a sloppy recommendation based on a number of errors in thinking.

I know that many forum members buy their AE shoes and boots unseen over the internet, and unless they know their exact size and last from either personally being fitted or by trial and error . . . then it is blind shopping.

David Copeland

Reaction score
..in the U.S. If you happen to be in Canada, your options are somewhat more limited. Granted, there are still stores that carry them, but more often than not they have limited sizes in stock and need to order many sizes. Which means that you are often ordering in the dark..
You will have a nice surprise in the Fall of 2014 - when Nordstrom's opens their first Canadian store, followed by three more throughout Canada! Not only professional fits, but I anticipate they will offer free shipping.

Here is a Wall Street Newspaper article: CLICK HERE

tietherope

Reaction score
For Canada: A nominal charge of approximately $35 plus taxes to your home. The delivery point starts in the USA for the sale.
The bigger problem though is paying for return shipping as well if the fit or anything else is wrong.

Also, yesterday I looked at buying about $25 worth of shoe care products and the shipping is still $35. That's much more than it should cost.

Last edited:

tats

Reaction score

+1

I have the Hale in Walnut and it is my favorite of all my shoes. I'd love to see a picture of yours in Chili.

This isn't my picture, but here is a one that looks just like the outfit I'm wearing today. Chili with a medium grey suit looks great IMO.

guasc1

Reaction score
The bigger problem though is paying for return shipping as well if the fit or anything else is wrong.

Also, yesterday I looked at buying about $25 worth of shoe care products and the shipping is still $35. That's much more than it should cost.
I live in Canada and I recently had to return a pair of really bad seconds to the Shoebank and I wasn't charged for it.
I asked for and received a FedEx return label from the outlet.
I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads