Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Here are my Lasalle in chili

[​IMG]

2. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Looking good and great boots very happy with mine, I originally preferred the Dalton but the fifth has become my fav.

Hrmm contemplating those chili park avenues but I don't think Chili is any substitute for Merlot which is what I kind of had my head set on.

edit: that being said the CHili above does look pretty good with Navy

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

3. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Given that you already have Chili and Black covered (good shoe choices btw), my vote would be for something in Dark Brown (or Merlot?) next. Just my .02. J

4. tats

tats Active Member

Yep, got the cedar ones from AE and use them every night.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking too, I'm also worried about getting something too close to what I have and then preferring one over the other. I'm also curious about getting a pair of boots either Fifth Street or something similar but I'm still not sold. I'll be honest I wish they still made the Hale, I just love it.

5. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I like them all!

6. MoneyWellSpent

Here are my Walton's in Chili:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think they can be a great substitute for burgundy or merlot, especially if you have a more formal sole edge. However, you need to be ok with them being a tad "different" (in a positive way), which is great as long as you aren't trying to obey the formality guidelines too strictly. The sole edge on those webgems makes them just slightly more casual in my opinion, but I still think they look great. Also, using AE's Chili polish will darken them a little bit from where they are when new.

7. MoneyWellSpent

If we are strictly talking from a utlitarian perspective, then I think having 3-4 pairs would be more ideal than 2, but beyond that you are entering the realm of buying shoes for reasons beyond the basic principles of "ideal shoe care." As tampatravel said, the reasoning behind shoe rotation is to allow the leather to rest and dry thoroughly so that it doesn't become macerated and begin to break down from moisture. As long as your shoes are thoroughly dry, they are technically ready to be worn again as soon as you want to put them on. Only having two pairs of shoes may not allow a pair to be thoroughly dry depending upon the individual, and what the shoes are subjected to. If they get quite wet from a downpour, or if you sweat excessively, then they may benefit from more than one night of rest.

None of this is to say that there is anything wrong with having many more pairs of shoes, as most people here do (to expand your wardrobe options, etc.). I'm just saying that after 3 (maybe 4) pairs, you are no longer "helping" your shoes last longer other than by simply not wearing them very often (a seldom used product will last much longer than a regularly used one).

8. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

Going beyond 3 or 4 pairs, does reduce the wear on soles. Resoling properly is expensive and a larger shoe rotation does delay the need to resole, or you put sole protectors on.

Of course I may just be justifying my shoe binge that's happened in a relatively short amount of time.

9. gtvisa2002

gtvisa2002 Well-Known Member

Hey, I too have the same dilemma, Dalton vs Fifth. But I am leaning towards Dalton for more casual style.
    If you don't mind me asking, what made you think Fifth over Dalton? Will you be using them for more formal occasions?
    Thank you.

10. MoneyWellSpent

You are correct, but it only reduces the wear due to lack of use. Like I said, a product that is used less often will last longer than a product that is used more regularly. It comes down to a question of economics. After a certain point (which I believe to be under 5 pairs), you are spending more money on buying new shoes to save wear and tear on replaceable parts of your existing shoes, than you would if you just maintained your existing shoes and replaced parts as needed.

11. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

LOL yes I think we all justify from time to time.... All I know is, I love the options that multiple pairs give me (I'm up to 10 now), and yes they'll last far longer. Factoring in that some shoes are favorites, I only wear the same pair every 5-7 days or so
    J

12. MoneyWellSpent

That's the only reason you really need, and it's the most accurate one. [​IMG]

13. sazon

sazon Senior member

Gentlemen, thank you very much for the Chili pictures!

14. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

How do they fit compared to other shoes you have, possibly on the five last?

15. jrarnold

jrarnold Well-Known Member

Quote:So the Ashton is just the orthotic version of the Walton? Those look exactly like the shoes I am wearing at work today.

Quote:This is referring to leather soled shoes correct? All my shoes are from the orthotic line and have the rubber (vibram?) soles. How do these compare to the leather soles in time it takes for them to need replacement?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.