• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wingtip Wednesday last night with Jeffersons. Got these resoled and tapped.

IMG_20220811_003819835.jpg IMG_20220811_003822793.jpg IMG_20220811_003826030.jpg IMG_20220811_003830714.jpg IMG_20220811_003834950.jpg IMG_20220811_003846357.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So yesterday during my travels I stopped by the Chicago store on LaSalle. Great time talking with the salesman there who said something interesting:

His Gen-Z (ugh, I hate that term, but bear with me) co-worker indicated he thinks dress-sneakers are for "old people".

I don't know how common this sentiment is, but apparently Gen-Z likes the boots way more than the sneaker options, and thinks the sneakers look dated and old.

He indicated that the sneakers are kind of more millennial oriented, which means now mid-30s. Of course, I vehemently disagree, as I'd rather kill myself than buy a dress sneaker (though then again, I'm not your average 30 year old).

Also, for the small cadre of central Illinois/University of Illinois friends here: We won't be getting an Allen Edmonds store anytime soon. He's like, "Nope, no one would even wear our shoes there. No one even wears dress shoes down there, and definitely not our price point." Which is true, as I think @audog and I might be the only two men with multiple pairs of Allen Edmonds for 3 counties.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So yesterday during my travels I stopped by the Chicago store on LaSalle. Great time talking with the salesman there who said something interesting:

His Gen-Z (ugh, I hate that term, but bear with me) co-worker indicated he thinks dress-sneakers are for "old people".

I don't know how common this sentiment is, but apparently Gen-Z likes the boots way more than the sneaker options, and thinks the sneakers look dated and old.

He indicated that the sneakers are kind of more millennial oriented, which means now mid-30s. Of course, I vehemently disagree, as I'd rather kill myself than buy a dress sneaker (though then again, I'm not your average 30 year old).

Also, for the small cadre of central Illinois/University of Illinois friends here: We won't be getting an Allen Edmonds store anytime soon. He's like, "Nope, no one would even wear our shoes there. No one even wears dress shoes down there, and definitely not our price point." Which is true, as I think @audog and I might be the only two men with multiple pairs of Allen Edmonds for 3 counties.
For those of us who have no idea about the generation names.
F3E74932-12C6-425B-B8B0-64B886D226B5.jpeg

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dress sneakers are definitely 'old people' shoes as opposed to younger people shoes. Older people want the shoe that can be 'comfortable' and dress as the same time. I would say a younger person would either want to wear an actual sneaker or a dress shoe.

The boots comment is also true. Like, if you go over to the GYW Reddit (where you have a younger leaning demographic), you'd be hard pressed to find any shoe content. It is all boots.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dress sneakers are definitely 'old people' shoes as opposed to younger people shoes. Older people want the shoe that can be 'comfortable' and dress as the same time. I would say a younger person would either want to wear an actual sneaker or a dress shoe.

The boots comment is also true. Like, if you go over to the GYW Reddit (where you have a younger leaning demographic), you'd be hard pressed to find any shoe content. It is all boots.

I wonder what the focus on dress sneakers is then from EVERY company?

The dress sneaker has effectively overtaken Rockport, for instance. There's no dress-shoe styles for Rockport anymore, or barely any left at least. Same with Florsheim, Cole Haan, etc. Allen Edmonds definitely has pushed it, too.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of us who have no idea about the generation names.
View attachment 1821523

I honestly can't see someone who is 23 as still a millennial. Then again, I think millennial was a stupid, vague generational title to begin with.

Regardless, the point he made is: Gen Z thinks only old people wear dress sneakers and boots are big.

Peitron

Reaction score
Yep, I see the young'uns wearing boots like the old timers back in the day, while we here olden folks called X-genners are secretly wearing dress sneakers.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, I see the young'uns wearing boots like the old timers back in the day, while we here olden folks called X-genners are secretly wearing dress sneakers.

My question is: Is it just work-like boots or dress boots?

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the focus on dress sneakers is then from EVERY company?

The dress sneaker has effectively overtaken Rockport, for instance. There's no dress-shoe styles for Rockport anymore, or barely any left at least. Same with Florsheim, Cole Haan, etc. Allen Edmonds definitely has pushed it, too.

Ever seen someone under the age of 50 wear Rockports recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads