• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's an Alden boot on the 379x last, but thank you.

You know what I also heard today? I was told that AE is trying to eliminate their F2 shoes entirely. Now, I don't know how this would be possible, given their QC being inconsistent.

That would be unfortunate, as their F2 selection is one of the main reasons I like to get AEs. You get really good shoes for a steal.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would be unfortunate, as their F2 selection is one of the main reasons I like to get AEs. You get really good shoes for a steal.
I wouldn't worry just yet. Like I said, unless their QC dramatically improves, I just don't know how this would be possible.

Your point about them being good shoes for a steal is exactly why they don't want them. I love F2 as much as anyone, but I understand that it's not great for AE.

capablebedroom

Reaction score
Chili Higgins Mill—purchased a year ago; the first Goodyear-welted shoes I tried & still the most comfortable.

Attachments

• IMG_0367.jpeg
    IMG_0367.jpeg
    402.9 KB · Views: 93

SpallaPerfetta

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry just yet. Like I said, unless their QC dramatically improves, I just don't know how this would be possible.

Your point about them being good shoes for a steal is exactly why they don't want them. I love F2 as much as anyone, but I understand that it's not great for AE.
I hope it’s not true. Roughly 75% of my AE are F2.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's better to get some of the pie than none of the pie.

Plus, AE works on a sales model. The sale price isn't usually that much better than the seconds.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see how they could get rid of their F2s. There is so much money recuperated from the sale of F2s that would literally just become a waste disposal bill if they decided to stop selling them.

Again though... they could if they dramatically improved their QC or started passing on reworked F2s at F1s.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's an Alden boot on the 379x last, but thank you.

You know what I also heard today? I was told that AE is trying to eliminate their F2 shoes entirely. Now, I don't know how this would be possible, given their QC being inconsistent.
You misinterpreted my comment so I will just say it. That Alden is hideous, it makes the HM look like a beauty queen. And I mean a beauty queen with a ******.

As for the no F’2’s. They will just send returns to an outlet and let the customers be the QC.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see how they could get rid of their F2s. There is so much money recuperated from the sale of F2s that would literally just become a waste disposal bill if they decided to stop selling them.

Again though... they could if they dramatically improved their QC or started passing on reworked F2s at F1s.

Agreed.

And it isn't even the QC is that bad. Allen Edmonds produces more shoes than most other GYW shoe makers, probably more than several of them put together. At 5% failure rate, that means thousands of shoes are unfit for firsts, but you reclaim some of your money back by selling them as seconds.

I do honestly think Allen Edmonds would benefit from just lowering their everyday price and stopping with the sales, but I guess they think the psychology is better to say to everyone (falsely) that the shoes really cost 500 dollars, but you can get them for 50% off!

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You misinterpreted my comment so I will just say it. That Alden is hideous, it makes the HM look like a beauty queen. And I mean a beauty queen with a ******.

As for the no F’2’s. They will just send returns to an outlet and let the customers be the QC.

I fear AE is beginning to rely on most customers not being savvy enough to pick up on the flaws.

The problem with the MBA types that run these companies is that they can't neatly factor in quality to their expected utility calculations so they think they can cut it without losing anything.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agreed.

And it isn't even the QC is that bad. Allen Edmonds produces more shoes than most other GYW shoe makers, probably more than several of them put together. At 5% failure rate, that means thousands of shoes are unfit for firsts, but you reclaim some of your money back by selling them as seconds.

I do honestly think Allen Edmonds would benefit from just lowering their everyday price and stopping with the sales, but I guess they think the psychology is better to say to everyone (falsely) that the shoes really cost 500 dollars, but you can get them for 50% off!
Exactly, I will buy F1 boots, only when they are sub $300. Which most new models can be bought for on their first sale.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The problem with the MBA types that run these companies is that they can't neatly factor in quality to their expected utility calculations so they think they can cut it without losing anything.
Having this issue where I work. They closed down for the holidays but didn’t tell the field guys. Our customers don’t shut down and we are all scrambling to keep our customers running. All this because the C suites never worked in the field and are just now finding out the ramifications from their decisions.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having this issue where I work. They closed down for the holidays but didn’t tell the field guys. Our customers don’t shut down and we are all scrambling to keep our customers running. All this because the C suites never worked in the field and are just now finding out the ramifications from their decisions.

There's a real problem with business education in America. I don't know what it is, but it seems like no one has ever learned a lick of business sense from being trained formally in business. This is in contrast to many scholarly fields. I take doctors to learn quite a great deal in medical school - at least on a technical level! - and scholars of all sorts.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly, I will buy F1 boots, only when they are sub $300. Which most new models can be bought for on their first sale.

It isn't that I have a problem with AE, but yeah, if you tell me not to buy full price, I won't buy full price.

The exception would be special models and the trunk show and such like that.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a real problem with business education in America. I don't know what it is, but it seems like no one has ever learned a lick of business sense from being trained formally in business. This is in contrast to many scholarly fields. I take doctors to learn quite a great deal in medical school - at least on a technical level! - and scholars of all sorts.
My firm (smallish VC focused on Great Lakes tech but also some other areas) doesn't touch anyone who majored in business as an undergrad: humanities, social sciences, hard sciences and engineering only. If you were a bidness major in college, you might as well hand us a resume written in magenta crayon.

Personally, I think the modern MBA has done more damage over time to American society and the economy than just about anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads