• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What last was used on the courtside?

Peitron

Reaction score
Please allow me to speak freely....
When you discuss dress sneakers, you guys stimulate my rectum.
The dress sneaker from Allen Edmonds has brought more compliments than any other shoe in the world (from all races and all generations).

Yep, same here. PA and Strand Sneakers have grown on me, specially when paired with colorful laces, just to take a bit of the seriousness away from them and make them more relaxed looking. I'm still not one to advocate in favor of sneakers with suits or for more formal office settings, but around the house and on weekends they are great to have in the rotation.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So yesterday during my travels I stopped by the Chicago store on LaSalle. Great time talking with the salesman there who said something interesting:

His Gen-Z (ugh, I hate that term, but bear with me) co-worker indicated he thinks dress-sneakers are for "old people".

I don't know how common this sentiment is, but apparently Gen-Z likes the boots way more than the sneaker options, and thinks the sneakers look dated and old.

He indicated that the sneakers are kind of more millennial oriented, which means now mid-30s. Of course, I vehemently disagree, as I'd rather kill myself than buy a dress sneaker (though then again, I'm not your average 30 year old).

Also, for the small cadre of central Illinois/University of Illinois friends here: We won't be getting an Allen Edmonds store anytime soon. He's like, "Nope, no one would even wear our shoes there. No one even wears dress shoes down there, and definitely not our price point." Which is true, as I think @audog and I might be the only two men with multiple pairs of Allen Edmonds for 3 counties.
You may very well be correct, however I know a few others who have multiple pairs of AE, but are not "shoe" people, just have them because 1) they look nice 2) they are "high-end" and 3) are a form of status symbol in the industry those people are part of

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So yesterday during my travels I stopped by the Chicago store on LaSalle. Great time talking with the salesman there who said something interesting:

His Gen-Z (ugh, I hate that term, but bear with me) co-worker indicated he thinks dress-sneakers are for "old people".

I don't know how common this sentiment is, but apparently Gen-Z likes the boots way more than the sneaker options, and thinks the sneakers look dated and old.

He indicated that the sneakers are kind of more millennial oriented, which means now mid-30s. Of course, I vehemently disagree, as I'd rather kill myself than buy a dress sneaker (though then again, I'm not your average 30 year old).

Also, for the small cadre of central Illinois/University of Illinois friends here: We won't be getting an Allen Edmonds store anytime soon. He's like, "Nope, no one would even wear our shoes there. No one even wears dress shoes down there, and definitely not our price point." Which is true, as I think @audog and I might be the only two men with multiple pairs of Allen Edmonds for 3 counties.
I'm an official "Old People" and the concept of a dress sneaker is just abhorrent to me....Either wear a sneaker, no problems with that, or a dress shoe, there are no "dress sneakers" just butchered dress shoes that a company wants to try and sell to open a new market...

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm an official "Old People" and the concept of a dress sneaker is just abhorrent to me....Either wear a sneaker, no problems with that, or a dress shoe, there are no "dress sneakers" just butchered dress shoes that a company wants to try and sell to open a new market...

I agree that you fall into the extremely old people bracket.
There are many types of sneakers. When we care for people that are dying from cancer, we wear running shoes.
When we want to be comfortable and casual, we wear dress sneakers.
Have you ever owned a pair of Allen Edmonds dress sneakers??

EdwardWilson

Reaction score

Absolutely abhorrent. My father wore a tie and dress shoes every weekday, and occasionally on weekends. I carry that same torch. Formal dress, especially dress shoes,
should not go the way of the dodo.

I remember as a child watching old movies and thinking, "one day, I want to dress like those gentlemen".

Blaine.jpg
Bailey.jpg

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
…also…they’re not made in USA :stirpot:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the millennials like dress sneakers comes from a misapprehension that dress shoes are uncomfortable. Maybe as a kid your nice shoes didn't fit for church, graduation, or you never broke in your shoes. So something that looks like a Nike seems more comfortable.

Lots of my friends think I must be in pain all the time. I'm like: bro, I walked ten miles in my strandmoks, 6 miles daily in my Bradleys and c and js, danced all night in parks, Chesters, and Hanovers. Dress shoes actually help me with pain.

Shoes that fit don't hurt after break ins.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I stepped into an entertaining discussion tonight.
44I2.gif

I actually like hearing this. I personally love boots and never was a fan of the dress sneakers. My only AE sneaker is the OG Cheetah in gray. I still use it occasionally and I don't mind that it's just a normal sneaker (and not a dress sneaker). I'm a millennial technically, but at the very last year of what is considered one.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the millennials like dress sneakers comes from a misapprehension that dress shoes are uncomfortable. Maybe as a kid your nice shoes didn't fit for church, graduation, or you never broke in your shoes. So something that looks like a Nike seems more comfortable.

Lots of my friends think I must be in pain all the time. I'm like: bro, I walked ten miles in my strandmoks, 6 miles daily in my Bradleys and c and js, danced all night in parks, Chesters, and Hanovers. Dress shoes actually help me with pain.

I’m at the point where my sneakers (MIU New Balance, or so they say) are nowhere near as comfortable to me as a sturdy dress shoe or boot.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score

My friends, we do not talk about the Chester enough. We are failing as AE enthusiasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads