• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

srlclark

Reaction score
Does anyone else agree that the photos of the merlot Cornwallis and Randolph look more like oxblood?

(The photos make them look not as dark as merlot usually is and much more red - merlot is usually on the purple end of the burgundy spectrum, oxblood on the red end of it).

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weasels - what would you like to see from AE in 2018?

Return of the white suede McAllisters (although they had a different name) with red rubber soles.

Tan grain Whitney wingtips with antique brass eyelets and Dainite heels and soles.

Walnut and Cream Heritage golf shoes with combination tap, rather than spiked, heels and soles.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We could pile the Walkers on the Pitchers mound at White Sox opening day and set it ablaze like Disco Demolition Night in the ‘70s

:crackup:

The Walker is definitely one of those rare things that makes me feel sad that a calf's body was used to make those things. That leather could have been better used in just about any other shoe. A shell Walker... now that would send this place into a riot.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:crackup:

The Walker is definitely one of those rare things that makes me feel sad that a calf's body was used to make those things. That leather could have been better used in just about any other shoe. A shell Walker... now that would send this place into a riot.
I would rather see that calf’s leather used to make a bra for grandma than to waste it on a Walker Brogue Chelsea boot.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to see the return of the Brentwood NST (1956-1989) View attachment 901544 It was the grandaddy of all the AE split toes leading to the Bradley and Delray among others but was never surpassed View attachment 901545 besides,I would like a pair in Merlot! View attachment 901547

I like those a lot, looks very well proportioned. Throw in a bitter chocolate version and I bet @St Hubbins could be convinced as well.

Those are nice! Basically a Leeds NST . . . The last looks like it balances the shoe nicely.

Would be stiff competition between those and the Parkways for me - I really like the traditional NST design on the contemporary 333.

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What else would I like to see in 2018?
More leather choices — antelope, bison, and shark would be welcome additions.
I have a pair of AE Nassau shark wingtips from the ‘70s, the insides are beat up and they are very worn but the sharkskin is pristine and shiny-with a very distinct texture,like a prune!

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t let suede dissuade you, it is a pretty rugged leather and can take a bit of knocking around.

IMG_0032.JPG

Solid work, my friend.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I walked a couple of blocks this morning at -11 degrees. The Dainite soles felt like walking on rocks after 10 minutes. Anyone experience this?

I think that the softer the compound of the rubber, the warmer that will occur at. I've experienced frozen climbing shoes at temperatures in the 20s. Most of the boots I wear in extreme cold have harder rubber, which
I've never experienced temperatures like that but I imagine it's because those temps make the Dainite dip below it's glass transition temp.

Somehow I made it through all my school science classes without ever learning the term for that phenomenon! Granted, I spent most of my time studying biological sciences rather than chemistry and physics...

I was going to add that I think there is substantial variance in the glass transition temperature occurs. I've encountered it in temperatures in the low 20s with certain sole rubber materials (rock climbing shoes perform like s--t in temperatures considerably below freezing). I've also noticed that high temperature can destroy certain rubber compounds (I left a pair of old Teva sandals in the car for a while, and the rubber turned hard and brittle).

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are nice! Basically a Leeds NST . . . The last looks like it balances the shoe nicely.

Would be stiff competition between those and the Parkways for me - I really like the traditional NST design on the contemporary 333.
It has a shorter split and longer moccasin toe than the Parkway,it does have that same blucher lacing structure as the Leeds. I’ve aquired alot of classic split toes on ebay last year to compare and determine which to keep. The winners are the Brentwoods,dainite C&Js,and my last buy of ‘2017,shell Bradleys. Brentwoods were brought back in early 2000s without the split toe so beware! Find yourself a nice $50 ebay pair of the OGs!

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alight, choose one shoe that is your favorite that you unfortunately don't wear very often. I would have to go with the Overlord in brown. I will never sell them, but I have too many other shoes that compete with these to wear them a lot. I probably wear these 1 or 2 times per month.

Good question. I don't think I can narrow it down further than two; I'll present that since one is a shoe and one is a boot this is OK.

Shoe: Brown Rutledge. I still wear them more than others, but this style is one of my favorites and I'd like to work them in more. The issue is that I have other brown options for weather (Rutledges have Indy soles), and if there is no weather it's hard to resist the siren song of shell (brown Strands).

Boot: Brown First Ave. I also have the brown grain First Ave, which I reach for in weather, and multiple boots in varying shades of brown, so it's hard to work this one in. I have toyed with the idea of selling it, but it's so pretty . . . I might incorporate it into the work rotation during winter, as others have presented the idea of a boot winter rotation.

rumjt

Reaction score
I think that the softer the compound of the rubber, the warmer that will occur at. I've experienced frozen climbing shoes at temperatures in the 20s. Most of the boots I wear in extreme cold have harder rubber, which

Somehow I made it through all my school science classes without ever learning the term for that phenomenon! Granted, I spent most of my time studying biological sciences rather than chemistry and physics...

I was going to add that I think there is substantial variance in the glass transition temperature occurs. I've encountered it in temperatures in the low 20s with certain sole rubber materials (rock climbing shoes perform like s--t in temperatures considerably below freezing). I've also noticed that high temperature can destroy certain rubber compounds (I left a pair of old Teva sandals in the car for a while, and the rubber turned hard and brittle).
Yes, this transition point can and will vary depending on the formulation. Hooray, fun with polymers!

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Return of the white suede McAllisters (although they had a different name) with red rubber soles.

This x100- I would order those so quickly. I still regret passing on white buck RL shortwings I ran across on eBay several years ago.

Alight, choose one shoe that is your favorite that you unfortunately don't wear very often. I would have to go with the Overlord in brown. I will never sell them, but I have too many other shoes that compete with these to wear them a lot. I probably wear these 1 or 2 times per month.

HM’s for me probably. I love them, but my career has been in a dressier environment (suits) that called for something a little more formal, and weekends 9 months of the year are spent in flip flops/boat shoes/casual shoes. They’ve gotten a bit more wear this fall and winter though so it’s been cooler (and since I’ve had a lot of unwanted free time on my hands...)

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Spiaggia? I have a blue one on the 'Bay in 6.5EEE if anyone is interested. PM me and I'll work out a better price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads