• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are others much smarter than myself around here - polojock, shoenut,...but i looked at it up close (natty) in the store so i figured id give you my 2 cents fwiw.

To me, they looked like something very common among lesser brands. The cxl upper was nice - material seemed good. But everything else wasnt great. The overall construction just seemed sloppy. Not sure if it was intentional, but the shaft actually used two different colors, one light and one dark, which looked weird. The outsole was the soft xl henry / gumlite which i absolutely hate both for lack of support and limited longevity. It also used scratchy, "itchy" lining similar to that used on the surrey. All in all, i wasnt impressed.

I think the discount is deceiving since they were way overpriced to start. If you disagree, i challenge you to compare them against either the natty higgins or the grain 1st ave - both are unbelievably superior.

Hope this helps -
This EXACTLY. I'll take it a step further, why do you all think the Sutters Mill tabked do bad? Aside from the leather, which is fine, you need something to make it different from theblack Hm. What thing did AE change on it?

They put that mother ******* XL sole on it! Really??? What moron came up with that?

Mr. Wonderbeak

Reaction score
It's too late for the shoes I have now but in the future should I try 9 and 9.5 or just stick with 9 across the board?
Not surprised by the McT's, mine fit a bit large too. As for the Strandmoks, I am surpised. My Strandmoks definitely fit bigger in the same size than my McTs; the Strandmoks are unlined.

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not surprised by the McT's, mine fit a bit large too. As for the Strandmoks, I am surpised. My Strandmoks definitely fit bigger in the same size than my McTs; the Strandmoks are unlined.
It's not just the Strandmoks. I have McTavish, Strandmok, Boulevard, McGregor, and Richmond Street (201 last). Really, they all fit different, and in fact, I had issues with my first pairs of Strandmok's and Boulevards so they were both replaced and I feel like the replacements fit differently than the first pairs. But, full disclosure, I have a tendency to obsess about stuff like this so it could be a much smaller problem than what I think it is.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This EXACTLY. I'll take it a step further, why do you all think the Sutters Mill tabked do bad? Aside from the leather, which is fine, you need something to make it different from theblack Hm. What thing did AE change on it?

They put that mother ******* XL sole on it! Really??? What moron came up with that?
The Sutters Mill was one of the Black Friday specials, sold at a low price. I suspect that they were built with less expensive leather and the use of the XL sole was likely another cost-cutting move. These boots were never anything more than a limited production run for that sale, and were still a pretty good value.

Mr. Wonderbeak

Reaction score
Details of my shopping spree last week:

IMG_0469.JPG

Bone Suede Boone 1sts, purchased via eBay with the 20% off coupon. $117.00 shipped. These will be kept.
Next are the JS Walnut Cornwallis. Little snug but will break in nicely, and a steal at $49.99. Keeping these as well.
Lastly are the Black Delrays with V-Tread that I was the only bidder on from Dabondo Auction. $44.00 was a great price, however as you can see from the photos, there is notable top line bulge. Not sure what I'm doing with these.

Also,
IMG_0470.JPG
Lost my Maui Kawikas last year on a bar somewhere in Connecticut....bummer.

Had a nice REI dividend, so I replaced those with some Maui Peahi wraps for golf season at only $40 out of pocket, and some RB Clubmasters from Ebay for $67.99 NIB.

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 941474
View attachment 941475
Buon giorno, fellow enthusiasts. With the clock running out on winter, I decided I should do this sooner than later. Grey flannel trousers from my Hart Schaffner Marx suit, Lands’ End blue PPBD and navy cashmere crew neck, merlot Strands. I kind of think 9C might work for me in 65-last bals. These are 9D with Road Warrior inserts and feel really good.
I also wear 8.5d or 9c though I frequently wear 9d with thicker socks or inserts(the Road Warriors work great for that purpose)

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's too late for the shoes I have now but in the future should I try 9 and 9.5 or just stick with 9 across the board?
Stick with your typical size - variations aren't typically major enough to need a size change. Just order another pair if it doesn't work.
If you're referring to the Strandmok 2.0, they SHOULD have more room than the old McT as the McT is 65 last while Strandmok 2.0 is 201. If you're referring to the old Strandmoks with old McT or new McT with new Strandmok (2.0), that's a different matter as both the old are 65 and both the new are 201.
(I was under the assumption he was referring to the old McTs)

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Wasn't the shaft/quarters pebbled leather as well?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stick with your typical size - variations aren't typically major enough to need a size change. Just order another pair if it doesn't work.

If you're referring to the Strandmok 2.0, they SHOULD have more room than the old McT as the McT is 65 last while Strandmok 2.0 is 201.
Yeah, except the OG McT lasted wider for some reason and my 11.5D McT's are actually slightly wider (and more comfortable) than any of my other E-width 5-last stuff (Strandmok, Strand, Neumok, etc.).

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wildfire for Lunch!

Tan Strandmoks on their maiden voyage.
0315181147.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Out and about today.

IMG_2746.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skeem1