• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobedloser

Reaction score
I would like some advice on picking up some Allen edmond shoes. Going to be a groomsmen for a friends wedding and he decided on navy suits and brown shoes. I was thinking of picking up a pair of park aves in walnut. Yay or nay to this? Any other styles I should consider? I'm love the look of captor oxfords and don't really like the brogue look either but I'm open to change

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked one up at the Austin store a week or so ago. Not missing much, IMO. The new stuff (Italian collection, Whitney, those horrible sneakers, etc.) and some staples.
I think those sneakers were a great move. Makes the Brisbane look like an excellent shoe next to them. But how do you make the new ones look good by comparison next year? Now I see the ugly down spiral.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would tell you the Brooks Aberdeen but you have at least one Kiowa. Of course 222 last. If the weave turns you on, go with a Carlsbad. You should like that fit.

Of course shinyman for the win. I have a BB aberdeen and am still kicking myself to this day for not getting the other colors. aero25 - you need this one!!!

Carlsbad....lol. forgot about that. There was one lone pair of 1sts in chili forever and they finally sold out, so not available. Damn nice, but i felt they were too redundant with the presidio, which from BB included the vtread. Somewhat of a loss, but im not broken up about missing this one.

Just to rub more salt into captain captoe, at BCF they also had piles of wild carlsbads with linen on the vamp - not my thing but very interesting to say the least.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, I'd say you have rotation on your side lol. But I'd still be thinking about Bradley, Dundee and Patriot in shell. Then whatever hopefully pops up as a graile.

Shoenut did better.
1. The bradley is nice but with a single sole and split toe i dont care for it. Not saying never, but its hard to buy shell knowing you just wont use it much from the start.

2. I have 2 calf patriots. I passed on a 3rd pair, 1sts for 117. They have poron in the entire heel area, which, combined with a low vamp, make for quite a brutal breakin. If these were heavily discounted id do it, but otherwise, no way im doing any more patriots.

3. I have the dundee 2.0 with the poron and its definitely loose and bigger than i like. If the shell didnt have poron and fit even bigger, i probably couldnt keep it on.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think those sneakers were a great move. Makes the Brisbane look like an excellent shoe next to them. But how do you make the new ones look good by comparison next year? Now I see the ugly down spiral.

There was a lot of excitement about those porters initially. SAs saying they were way better than last time. At least the cheetah/brisbane, they tried something. It didnt work out great, but they arent terrible. The porter i literally felt like they subcontracted out to Ecco and just rebranded it.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would like some advice on picking up some Allen edmond shoes. Going to be a groomsmen for a friends wedding and he decided on navy suits and brown shoes. I was thinking of picking up a pair of park aves in walnut. Yay or nay to this? Any other styles I should consider? I'm love the look of captor oxfords and don't really like the brogue look either but I'm open to change
There is a contingent here that just won’t do navy and walnut. Is the wedding all indoors or will it be outside with the possibility of some weather? If so, a Dainite fifth ave in dark chili is a great choice. More wearable than a PA without a lot of punches. A Gateway into a whole Broughing way of life.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a contingent here that just won’t do navy and walnut. Is the wedding all indoors or will it be outside with the possibility of some weather? If so, a Dainite fifth ave in dark chili is a great choice. More wearable than a PA without a lot of punches. A Gateway into a whole Broughing way of life.

+1 on the danite and the chili. I WILL do walnut but it will definitely jump out more, maybe better to be more conservative with the color. Hmmmm...i actually have never owned a 5th ave. I believe in either nothing, or brogeuing all the way. Do, or do not, there is no try. There i go, taking advice from some dumbass who even as a ghost could burn the old books. Every. Time. I think of that turd of a film...the porter seems...better.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well shiny...just you and me, huh? Signing out. Probably going with either the Duke, Kenwood, Wilbert or Strandmok, havent decided yet. You know you have a problem when all you ever wear is either grain or cxl.

Hope to see some wild two-tones on you. Maybe that team neumok needs a go.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well shiny...just you and me, huh? Signing out. Probably going with either the Duke, Kenwood, Wilbert or Strandmok, havent decided yet. You know you have a problem when all you ever wear is either grain or cxl.

Hope to see some wild two-tones on you. Maybe that team neumok needs a go.
It is a Spring time favorite of mine.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Currently, I have 2 pairs of black shoes:
Randolphs & Dundees, both shell. And they are rarely worn.
20180224_080029.jpg

If a situation arises where I need something dressier, I'll nab a suitable pair.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes yes but what shoes will you be wearing?

...shoes? What shoes?

Hubbins asked about the shoes,I wanna know about the pants!

...pants? What pants?

(This is usually how my drinking ends up lol)

In all seriousness, I’m not sure what I would wear to something like WeaselCon2018. My thought would be shell Strands, but I also feel like my bourbon Strands or McA’s would be a pick, with everyone’s comments on here when I first got them. For pants, maybe the lobsters, nanny reds, or seersucker (though I do have a pair of masters-jacket green ones i need to get tailored that I’m excited about...).

This would only be for the actual event. For post event drinking- Reyn Spooner, Chubbies, and Sperrys. Let’s be honest, we’ve all seen my alcohol-fueled posts.

Last edited:

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for chili Fifth Ave's with Dainite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads