• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aenonymous

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m recently pulled the trigger on my first two pairs of AEs and would like to get some input from all of the seasoned vets here. For these I went with dainite soles due to not being in an everyday office setting and wanted something I didn’t need to worry about the weather walking from client meet to meeting. Anyways, if you look at how the sole clearly wasn’t centered upon cutting and stitching so the stich goes across one of the treads. Am I just being anal or is this something I should be annoyed with and get replaced?

Thanks in advance for your input!

View attachment 975335

View attachment 975336
I'm going to suggest you return your 2 pairs, and just buy Alden one pair at a time, and just move forward in that direction. Just kidding (not really). Regarding this pair, this is going to be accepted quality from AE if you want to wear their shoes. Ultimately I don't think this will affect fit or wearability to any great degree, but if it were me I would email them, so that you have a record of the issue, and so if you do get premature wear (broken stitching, sole separation) on that one shoe compared to the other, you'll have record of the issue from the start so that you receive appropriate compensation. The ideal situation is you'd bring it to their attention, and they would say we'll exchange these for a new pair right now, or they say there shouldn't really be an issue with this pair, but if one does develop we'll make it right (and then you'd want record of that email convo). Good luck.

RaiderATO

Reaction score
What part of Tennessee?
Kingsport

Hey guys, I’m recently pulled the trigger on my first two pairs of AEs and would like to get some input from all of the seasoned vets here. For these I went with dainite soles due to not being in an everyday office setting and wanted something I didn’t need to worry about the weather walking from client meet to meeting. Anyways, if you look at how the sole clearly wasn’t centered upon cutting and stitching so the stich goes across one of the treads. Am I just being anal or is this something I should be annoyed with and get replaced?

View attachment 975335

View attachment 975336
Whether they're 1sts or 2nds, don't worry about it. I've seen worse, and wouldn't worry about those either.

RaiderATO

Reaction score
Look at this carpet.

IMG_6178.JPG

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 975335

View attachment 975336
Anal.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
I feel your pain, @munchau. We have similarly sized feet, and the smaller inventories at the stores in New York City make it difficult to try on many shoes in person. Typically, they'll have a black Park Avenue in every size, but that's about it, so sometimes sales associates have made their best guesses on the sizes I would take in lasts other than the 65, with mixed results. Because I've had to order so many pairs from the warehouse or the factory, I've had to do a lot of returns, and have attempted to break in some shoes I probably never had much business wearing. I've decided that I'm a 15D or 14E in the 65 and the Independence line, but I could barely keep my heels in a pair of 14E Cavanaughs, and my 14E MacNeils and Leeds' pinch my small toes. The 13EEEs I was once fitted for are shoes I only wear on rainy days or in case of emergency (such as getting called into a meeting on short notice on a day I wore more casual shoes to the office).

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll admit i just saw your post without reading the quoted one and wondered what happened while I took a driving shift.

On a lighter note, we arrived in the city of sin, and immediately began doing so.

IMG_20180516_204501_053.jpg

And now we work toward becoming nocturnal for the weekend.....

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
I had not realized that Allen Edmonds had changed its return policy. Thank you all for calling it to my attention.

I had intended to buy a pair of brown Strands during the last sale, but got tempted by the $280 price on Bartlett seconds, and bought them instead. They're really comfortable. However, I've long had this problem with my nicest things, where I am reluctant to wear them for fear of ruining them. Its also how I feel about my Drake's ties, even ones that I found secondhand, or bought for $50 at their sample sale. Part of me is worried that, if I keep these Bartletts, I'll worry about beating them up (something that happens quickly when you walk to work, as I do), and that I would get more enjoyment out of a pair of Strands, or even a dabondo1 pair of Strands, simply because I wouldn't worry so much about scuffing or nicking them.

Lmrjfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night in Vegas and the MacNeils get the call for Brazilian beef and low stakes gambling.

Last slot pull of the night and my wife hits a quarter slot machine for $200.
How do I convince her that, since I gave her the money to play, the $200 is mine as seed money for more shell? Maybe I should leave that last part out?

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night in Vegas and the MacNeils get the call for Brazilian beef and low stakes gambling.

How do I convince her that, since I gave her the money to play, the $200 is mine as seed money for more shell? Maybe I should leave that last part out?

Look, I can't tell you how that'll turn out... but you should try it and report back here.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Congrats, we just got checked in at Nellis for the festivities this weekend. Hitting the Paris tomorrow night for some Ramsay food.

Meantime, here's a bison from Yellowstone.

I named him Montgomery. His favorite food is whatever the hell he wants to eat because he's 2000+ lbs of rage and delicious lean meat and he does whatever he wants, whenever he wants, without explanation.

BigBison3.jpg

Photo was taken with my old beater T4i and a 50mm f/1.8 STM prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads