1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Quote:Maybe browse from an incognito browser session and see how it looks. I'm wondering if cookies or some sort of cached portion of the site is messing with you...

1 person likes this.
  2. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I'm also mostly in lurking mode recently. Had a very busy couple months (with no new shoe acquisitions aside from a pair of OSB loafers), and more recently I've lost my mind and joined two different Crockett & Jones GMTOs (Lindrick and whisky Marlow wingtip). That's gonna put a big freeze on further shoe spending for quite a while.

I think.

AE is a hell of a gateway drug.

2 people like this.
  3. bathiel

bathiel Senior member

4. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

If you search my history you'll find a lot of thoughts on this. Short version is that the 1943 never worked for me - it was both too narrow and too short. For the toebox, I would need a half size and a width up from Brannock, and for volume I'd need a width up (medium volume for me). Based on your description, I'd start with 12D.

For reference, I had to go up a width in the 65 to accommodate toes; that works ok but is a bit loose in the heel. I'm Brannock on other AE lasts.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  5. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

For chisel toes, I like the 1943 last, but I liked the 333 last better...something about the 1943 last always just looked a little too blocky due to the shorter toebox, in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Quote: Hmmm... That makes me want to try the 12E as well. Based on a conversation I had when I called AE once, the Strand (and its derivatives Rush St. et. al.) are tightly cut. I'm new enough to this game that I won't say this is a definitive fact, but I think many people who say they struggle with the 65-last are actually (mainly) struggling with the cut of the Strand pattern on the 65-last. In any case, I guess I'll ask Nordstrom to bring in all four sizes (11.5D, 11.5E, 12D, 12E) :( Or maybe not. This is when I wish an AE store was close - I have to believe the Raleigh area could support one...

7. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

+1000

333 is my favorite AE last!

8. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

I'd agree the strand is a bit tighter than other 65s - my estimate would be a quarter to half width difference (and perhaps fractionally shorter). For me, the Cornwallis has been consistently tighter and shorter than that. You mentioned high arches, so the 12E could potentially work - my problem with a half size and width up was volume - I'd mainly worry about heel at that point. It's a beautiful shoe if you can make it work - good luck!

9. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Warwick Wednesday ...
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  10. eagleman

eagleman Senior member

Walnut Wednesday with an old friend of mine. These Margates are now one of my beater shoes but they still look great. Not sure how old they are. I rescued them from the Bay a couple of years ago for $20.

[​IMG]

11. Canadianguy

Canadianguy Senior member

Looking sharp.

12. sruchris

sruchris Well-Known Member

Walnut Kenilworths today. Salvaged them from eBay last year for $40 and applied my own DIY burnishing.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Congrats! My daughter will be born this month too. Your pic makes me wonder what kind of AE shoes to wear that day. Hmmm...

14. Oinkedmoo

Oinkedmoo Well-Known Member

I like to buy shoes to commemorate special occasions (buying a home, new job, wedding, etc). I don't have any kids yet, but I'd like to buy a pair for each one!

15. gm928

gm928 Senior member

Sauk Drive today.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Looks great! Is this the pair currently listed at the MP? To good to let go PC :)

17. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

FBWs: I write to you this morning not as a barn weasel, but as a pack rat. I am about to fly to Seattle for six days. In addition to running and hiking shoes, what shoes should I pack? While I am there, I will wear polos or OCBDs with jeans or khaki chinos, and I am wearing a tan suit to an outdoor wedding. I am limited to the following shoe options: white Vans sneakers, brown suede Bleecker Streets with a vibran sole, brown suede Clarks desert boots, brown calf penny loafers, oxblood strands with a Dainite sole.

I am inclined to take the Bleecker Streets and the white vans, but my concerns are that the suede would be less than ideal in rain, and that I could use something less delicate than suede boots but dressier than vans for a long day of walking in and out of shops, restaurants and bars, and other touristy things.

18. devastitis

devastitis Senior member

Bleeker Streets and Oxblood Strands. Spray the suede with Tarrago Nano at least 30 minutes before use.

2 people like this.
  19. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    My walnut Wednesday evolved to a woven Wednesday. Lauderdales.

[​IMG]

20. DustinM

DustinM Senior member

Cliftons on Walnut Wednesday while waiting in a dr's office with my daughter
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.