• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echoes14

Reaction score
I would also keep them, assuming that spot is the only significant flaw. It would help if we could see the other problems.
Here are best I could do for pics. There's a pretty flat part on the toe of one shoe, that extends towards the top of the sole (it's not just on the bottome), and a pretty decent indentation on the side of sole on the other. There's another small splotch of color towards to back on the leather, as well.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How much ankle bowing is considered acceptable?  Anything I can do to fix the problem?  I really don't want to return the shoes. 

From my understanding, the correct answer is none. My flat footed feet do not allow for a bowing ankle free AE fit. I experience this in most brands, to varying degrees. Maybe you have this problem as well? If you try on various combinations of sizes and widths, you might find a size that allows for minimized ankle bowing, which is what i did. Still not ideal, but it's a fact of life until bespoke becomes an option.

eagleman

Reaction score

Here are best I could do for pics. There's a pretty flat part on the toe of one shoe, that extends towards the top of the sole (it's not just on the bottome), and a pretty decent indentation on the side of sole on the other. There's another small splotch of color towards to back on the leather, as well.
You're the only one that will notice those. If they were mine I would still keep them. However, if those really bother you send them back. You are the one that has to live with them.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a tough question for me when it regards Firsts. I remember AE quality 5 years ago, and their QC process was so much better back then. Visiting my AE store today, and i'm not sure what to think about the quality of even on some of their display shoes. This is something i have talked to my SA's about recently, and it has been noticed by them as well. The value of Firsts are not what they use to be IMO, especially considering all of the completion (even from their own Seconds). Only the individual buyer can judge what issues are passable on a first quality pair of AE's. Having said that, the flaws on these are nominal based on what i have seen on Firsts recently.

Last edited:

bathiel

Reaction score
So I was out thrifting yesterday and found 2 pair of AE's in my size. I picked up a pair of Glasgow loafers in light brown and a pair of York zip boots in black. I'm not much of a loafer or zip boot guy but they were my size, in great shape, and the price was right ($20 each). I have found some info on the Glasgow's but very little on the York. Anyone know anything about these boots. Pic below:)

That's cool. I picked up a pair of Yorks on eBay last year and absolutely love them. I was told by a rep at AE that these are about 10 years old. She couldn't pinpoint it for sure. I did some looking back through all the old AE digital catalogs and was able to figure out when they stopped appearing in them, but now I can't recall exactly which year that was.

EDIT--Just took another look at the catalogs. Last one it appeared in was 2003 (https://issuu.com/allenedmonds/docs/fall-2003-catalog).

Bernie

Last edited:

Echoes14

Reaction score
This is a tough question for me when it regards Firsts. I remember AE quality 5 years ago, and their QC process was so much better back then. Visiting my AE store today, and i'm not sure what to think about the quality of even on some of their display shoes. This is something i have talked to my SA's about recently, and it has been noticed by them as well.

The value of Firsts are not what they use to be IMO, especially considering all of the completion (even from their own Seconds). Only the individual buyer can judge what issues are passable on a first quality pair of AE's. Having said that, the flaws on these are nominal based on what i have seen on Firsts recently.
Thanks for your opinions so far. I'm definitely not a perfectionist. It's true that most people won't notice those thing when I wear them out and about. I guess I just need to figure out what MY standard is going to be for QC.

I'm not sure if it comes through in the picture very well, but in the second pic, where the sole looks darker, there's a pretty bad physical uneveness there...it's not just the color.

gm928

Reaction score
Thanks for your opinions so far. I'm definitely not a perfectionist. It's true that most people won't notice those thing when I wear them out and about. I guess I just need to figure out what MY standard is going to be for QC.

I'm not sure if it comes through in the picture very well, but in the second pic, where the sole looks darker, there's a pretty bad physical uneveness there...it's not just the color.

My personal rule is to imagine that the shoes were perfect when I got them, and then decide if the flaws are things that would happen anyway within the first five to ten wearings. Minor scrapes on the edge of the sole, superficial marks on the uppers, etc., are not things to worry about on a pair of shoes that will be used out in the world with stairs, uneven sidewalks, etc. If the flaws go beyond the kind of things that will inevitably happen from normal wear, then I start to think about returning.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a question: were the shoes in question obtained with a considerable discount? That always softens my tolerance a bit. My personal opinion is that those flaws are all minor, and I've certainly seen similar details on in-spec shoes from higher-tier makers like Alden, Vass, and Carmina.

I would personally wear and enjoy, but if these imperfections are going to eat away at you, then it's not money well spent.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
I would likely keep those if I had ordered them, but we all have things that bother us. If you feel as if knowing those minor flaws exist will interfere with your enjoyment of the shoes, then return them. But I have a a few pairs whose original flaws I honestly could no longer identify for you if I tried.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My personal rule is to imagine that the shoes were perfect when I got them, and then decide if the flaws are things that would happen anyway within the first five to ten wearings. Minor scrapes on the edge of the sole, superficial marks on the uppers, etc., are not things to worry about on a pair of shoes that will be used out in the world with stairs, uneven sidewalks, etc. If the flaws go beyond the kind of things that will inevitably happen from normal wear, then I start to think about returning. 

These are good rules to abide by.

I sometimes even forgive some finishing issues like inconsistent polishing or less than favorable looking welt & stitching. My big pet peeve is the quality of cut on the leather, which is a coin toss now that AE uppers are cut by machine.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I purchased my first brand-new pair of AE's during the Merlot sale. After a sizing snafu, and exchanging them at the store here in MN, the new pair of McAllisters arrived while I was on vacation. I was thoroughly excited to wear them out for my anniversary dinner tonight, when I found this on the tongue.... There were some smaller imperfections on the welt, and a couple of very small scuffs which I'd decided to live with, but not this. Looks like I'll have to find another excuse to take my wife to a nice place for dinner in the near future...
Like the others I see nothing that would bother me all that much. But if you purchased at a retail location, and had the second pair shipped to your home, one reason to return would be to establish to the SA what you find acceptble or not. Had I been you I would have had the pair above shipped to the store to allow you to examine them with the SA from the beginning.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They were bought during the merlot sale.

So what were they priced? 279$? MSRP is 399. I would forgive these particular defects given the discount.

But that's just me!!!! :)

Last edited:

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can be pretty picky and honestly for my FIRST pair I can see complaining. Decent rule is what @peppercorn78 said about 10 wears or so. Now that I've received several shoes I think I have an idea of what I can tolerate as "firsts" to keep. I also take into consideration the quality I've seen from shoes purchased through the shoebank. If it appears to me that its what I expect from the shoebank (which in some cases are flawless to my eye honestly) then I will request either a new pair or just to have the price adjusted to "seconds" pricing. I must say the McAllister in merlot has been a thorn in my side though as I am still waiting for a pair from back in the may sale.

RitchieBro

Reaction score
Newest addition- St. John's chili

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads