• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Of a sorts, it's a makeup done for correspondence shoes in America I've had my eye on for a while that I picked up in a sale, got stung a bit with duty fees but very happy with them
I nearly got a pair but ye old dreaded duty was the killer. Beauties.

brotherender

Reaction score
@RKILLY67 fantastic shoes. I've pondered whether to buy AS from them but the question of duty fees is what has stopped me so far. How much on top of the shoe price did you have to pay in fees if that's not a problem to ask?

brotherender

Reaction score
I had been eyeing AS Kelso for years but couldn't pull the trigger. Once Tredders offered 30% discount on Christmas Eve I knew it was then or never, particularly with Brexit coming in and this model long after its sell-by date and out of production. Seeing how difficult buying from the UK has become I'm so glad I finally jumped off the fence. Veldtschoen in zug leather are a combination hard to find these days in this quality.

It's a tank of a shoe. Very sturdy, it'll need some time before it breaks in. A bit on the short side lengthwise (just enough, but shorter than 87 last by some 2mm) but the width is so comfy. Generally I'm chuffed to bits.

Attachments

• kelso.jpg
    kelso.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

RKILLY67

Reaction score
@RKILLY67 fantastic shoes. I've pondered whether to buy AS from them but the question of duty fees is what has stopped me so far. How much on top of the shoe price did you have to pay in fees if that's not a problem to ask?
They cost round 280 I think with exchange rate but £89 duties through ups, bit dubious with it as £11.50 of it is 'brokerage charges' which sound like ups taking a large cut for themselves! However considering that AS is hard to get and I own a few styles already, really like their stuff there is no buyers remorse even with that extra cost.

Attachments

• DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 115

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you guys know but there’s a rumor circulating around that AS is closing/closed. Anyone has heard something?

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to Companies House they’ve been in administration for a decade. It wouldn’t surprise me if Covid and Brexit were the final nails in the coffin for them.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to Companies House they’ve been in administration for a decade. It wouldn’t surprise me if Covid and Brexit were the final nails in the coffin for them.

And Brooks Brothers going into bankruptcy can't have helped. AS's share of Peal and Co. was pretty strong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads