• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

shoesforever

Reaction score
@gmehra I don't own any G&G, but I've handled some and read a lot in the forums. G&G used to be made in the Alfred Sargent factories in the beginning, before getting their own place. From my understanding, they had their own section and own machines.
Alfred Sargent took some inspiration from G&G after they moved out. If you compare the AS exclusive and the G&G, I would say that G&G lasts probably are narrower and maybe a bit more elongated. They have a more Italian inspired last and look. They also have better cuts of the leathers they have and the finish is better. Their waists are also tighter, which is more similar to bespoke shoes and more difficult to make. Especially in their Deco line. Both have closed channel soles, but the G&G also has a fiddle waist which requires more skill. The main difference is in the details, which means that they take longer to make, which again means a higher price. What we do need to remember though, is that Alfred Sargent is capable of making a range of different qualities. Everything from plain open channel soles like the makes from for example Herring shoes and all the way to Alfred Sargent Handgrade line. The Handgrade line is probably on par with G&G. To illustrate the different soles, I added pictures. G&G is at the bottom

herring_james_in_espresso_calf_3.jpg

MOORE-OAK-7.jpg

Alfred Sargent Handgrade 1.JPG

DSC_000512.jpg

gmehra

Reaction score
Great and thanks for the pictures! Yes Alfred Sargent seems to have quite a range of lines and the handgrade looks like great VFM. The olive suede oxfords look almost identical to the G&G sole. Interesting that they don't have a single stockist in the US other than making some shoes for J Crew I believe? , must be a reason...

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great and thanks for the pictures! Yes Alfred Sargent seems to have quite a range of lines and the handgrade looks like great VFM. The olive suede oxfords look almost identical to the G&G sole. Interesting that they don't have a single stockist in the US other than making some shoes for J Crew I believe? , must be a reason...

I recall some old stockists writing they dropped them because of questionable business practices or something. No Man Walks Alone used to stock them, might be a good idea to ask them privately why they dropped AS.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
NMWA never carried the highest range, thought AFPOS at certain point did. As far as NMWA goes pretty sure it's just poor sale. People either bought Vass or paid more for GG (or that's what I would have done)

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sole on those Alex Boots looks very similar to G&G - can anyone comment on the overall difference between the two makers?

G&G uses marginally better leather and their lasts (at least for me) have an overall better fit. With that said, I think AS is a better overall value. You're getting 85% off G&G for half the price.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Meyboom

Reaction score
What intrugues me with AS is that they are one of the last English shoemakers that hasn't professionalized in recent times. No real website, no stores, no online shop... When Chay Cooper was in charge things were changing but since he left for C&J chaos returned. But I must admit there's a certain charm to it as well since they are still producing great shoes...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads