• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

abercrombie & fitch shirts - why the hate?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
B-b-b-but I might be regarded as a douche plebian
cry.gif

If you're seen as a plebeian, might as well spice it up with some douchebaggery.

reprehensible

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rushup edge
I'm wearing A&F jeans right now actually. paid $18 on sale. i dare you to find a pair of jeans that aren't dad jeans for $18.

But who cares?

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wearing A&F jeans right now actually. paid $18 on sale. i dare you to find a pair of jeans that aren't dad jeans for $18.
I got RRL Slim fit raw selvage denim on clearance at the RL outlet for $32 I think. Less than twice as much for 10x the jean.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweet another ****** mall brand who makes generic run of the mill plaid shirts. This definitely needs it's own thread.
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

snuff_daddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i bought a pair of brand new raw selvage jeans from UO for 20.00 a year ago

not that its a big deal that i found selvage for that price....

but who cares about 18.00 AnF jeans

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have difficulty walking into A&F as well. Not because of the perfume or the lighting, but because of the giant mural of the ripped male torso visible through the front doors, like a "you must be this cut to enter" sign. After being exposed to that all day, the hot sales girls can only look at me with withering disdain.

I did gather the nerve to walk in once to look at the heather Ts and hoodies on ppllzz's recommendation. I couldn't find any easily unbrandable hoodies, nor any interesting hoodies at all (ppllzz said they were better than W&H... I'm surprised SF didn't self-destruct!) The Ts were nice, probably a bit long, but in any case certainly not preferable than the Alternative Apparels I already have.

I don't like the nasty dingy beigish undertones many A&F pieces have. I notice lots of teen-targeted mall brands do this. I suppose it makes mixing and matching easier, so kids who literally just throw together whatever top with whatever bottom are less likely to end up with some horribly garish color mismatch. In fact, I don't care for the color profile of A&F's offerings at all... red and light blue are colors I almost never wear.

But as I've said before, I play in a pool in a bar with lots of fratty guys, and this past summer I saw alot of them wearing washed-to-the-color-of-dryer-lint muscle-fit t-shirts with light washed distressed denim. If you have the physique for it, it's really not a horrible summer look, although decidedly non-SF approved.

wahwho11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the japanese eat up A&F and American Eagle, we should too. I feel like if i need flannels/button up, i'd hit up uniqlo or something else. i've seen some decent outerwear, if the price is right.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
LOL....you're right, you shouldn't work out if you're going to use the "word" muscly.

Herbert.JPG

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
I know they are a "mall brand" yadda yadda yadda ...

I got a couple of their buttondown shirts on sale - their button down shirts are very slim fitting, and are made pretty well for $40 (on sale). The buttons are thick and shanked, the armholes are high, the sleeves are slim and the body length is fine for wearing tucked or untucked.

They have quite a few plaid patterns this year and pretty good looking flannels this fall. I just don't get the hate for A&F here. I hate their logo'd shirt and would never buy them, but the button down shirts are pretty good imo.

Has anyone tried A&F shirts recently?

Personally, I only began to dislike A&F when they started with the stupid moose logo. Before then they were my go to for polos since I liked the fit and they were plain. I still have a few t-shirts from my high school and college days and they are all still in pretty good shape so I continue to wear them.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow

I did gather the nerve to walk in once to look at the heather Ts and hoodies on ppllzz's recommendation. I couldn't find any easily unbrandable hoodies, nor any interesting hoodies at all (ppllzz said they were better than W&H... I'm surprised SF didn't self-destruct!) The Ts were nice, probably a bit long, but in any case certainly not preferable than the Alternative Apparels I already have.

hmm last season (SS09) they had unbranded hoodies but it doesnt seem like they do online right now =/

they aren't interesting or anything just comfy and soft

paulesquire1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wahwho11
the japanese eat up A&F and American Eagle, we should too. I feel like if i need flannels/button up, i'd hit up uniqlo or something else. i've seen some decent outerwear, if the price is right.

why is that? is it because they don't have ANF there? i'll be the defender and i'll even admit to working there 10 yrs ago. that was my intro. to working retail and helped me get into wholesale. like it or not, it's here to stay. teens love it so why change it? i thought they've always used pretty substantial fabrics and hardware. branding sucks for my taste but back then it was fine, taste changes. i give them this much, jeffries has made a ton of money. i'll tell you how it works, they want it to be about 75% all american athletic built guys and 25% hot girls. they put the guys on the girls side and vice versa. the vibe is supposed to be very masculine (jeffries is in the closet) and explains why they douse the store with cologne. why? it's for all teenage girls because they shop and push huge sales. i ran a store that did $90K on black friday, it's crazy. sorry to bump the thread, i know some hate on anf and it's very warranted, just wanted to give some insight on the company.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I don't know what all you losers are talking about but i have 2-3 AE shirts from like 10-12 years ago i always wear to sleep. They're so beat up and have been washed a million times. They're a bit oversized and comfy to sleep in. One has a giant hole in each armpit, discoloration around the collar, small hole at the collar, and a small hole around my stomach. Chronogal is horrified by it but i love it. I skimmed like 3 posts from this thread. Some stupid ass people in here. Whodini tried to bring level headed reasoning to the thread but damn, not even he could overcome the overwhelming amount of
ffffuuuu.gif
in this thread

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by paulesquire1
why is that? is it because they don't have ANF there?
Probably because the love of Americana is visibly stronger in Japan than it is here in the States. Then again, Kitson and H&M are more popular than Uniqlo.
Originally Posted by paulesquire1
like it or not, it's here to stay. teens love it so why change it?
ffffuuuu.gif
Nothing gold can stay, ponyboy. Teens also loved disco and bellbottom jeans and that...oh, right.

Originally Posted by chronoaug
Whodini tried to bring level headed reasoning to the thread but damn, not even he could overcome the overwhelming amount of
ffffuuuu.gif
in this thread

There's a common thread in all these threads.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads