abercrombie & fitch shirts - why the hate?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by srivats, Nov 15, 2009.

1. malefic

malefic Senior member

I have some old AE tees I wear as undershirts/pajamas but honestly I would not wear anything from AE/Hollister/A&F in public that was recognizable as such. Pick up one of those unbranded flannel shirts because it fits you, and you're gonna still pass teenagers on the street wearing the exact same piece in the exact same color but paired with those disgusting, fifteen-pound, extra-chunky cargo shorts, flip flops, white plastic sunglasses and a pukka shell necklace. There's no point at all, you can do so much better.

MAYBE if you just moved back after a decade finding your zen in Thailand and the only clothes you own are Buddhist monk's robes. But how desperate is anyone really for a new flannel shirt under 50 bucks?

I think the original problem here is that when you spend enough time on SF and SuFu you forget that it's possible for mall brands to remember the details once in a while. You note a BR pair of dress pants with an Etro-like patterned waistband lining or an AE shirt with a contrasting buttonhole like some Paul Smith design and you think "oh hey that's not half bad for $20" but honestly, shake it off, they're still just aping the true inventors and they're not offering similar quality or luxury, or anything else. It's passable stuff, often enough, and that's fine, but that doesn't make it worth buying.

2. reprehensible

reprehensible Senior member

Despite the perhaps inherent connotations of "sometimes", "relaxed" and "casual" one might apply to the SW+D subforum, the fact is that most of the regulars (at least seem to, to someone who isn't in their circle) wear this "casual clothing" the large majority of their time. Suit money without the suit. This is possible because these people are:
    • Students
    • Living off large allowances
    • Professionals employed in fields that do not require a suit and tie (non-office jobs, usually)

What office jobs require a suit and tie? Lawyer, maybe banker, and then...? That's a pretty small slice of the office-going workforce. Lots of the rest have to wear the dreaded Business Casual, of course, but plenty of people get to wear regular clothes.

3. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

I have some old AE tees I wear as undershirts/pajamas but honestly I would not wear anything from AE/Hollister/A&F in public that was recognizable as such.....

very well stated! (and I mean the whole post)

4. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

it's just a tiny moose who gives a shit

+1 the moose isnt any worse than the dior bee that means ur hoodie is designed by SLIMANE OMGGG JIZZ and worth $$$$$$$

5. Helix

Helix Senior member

+1 the moose isnt any worse than the dior bee that means ur hoodie is designed by SLIMANE OMGGG JIZZ and worth $$$$$$$

I have more of a problem with that giant fucking canvas tag.

6. jarude

jarude Senior member

whats this sf self-proclaimed elite shitting all over a mall brand thread?

well i never

7. Helix

Helix Senior member

I personally love how its grown 8 pages of sart-rage in less than a day.

8. Razele

Razele Senior member

This thread is retarded. It's A&F WTF

9. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

the one inside? i have a problem with that too, but its easily removed with a seam ripper and then no one will know about its existence (as has been stated several times in this thread). only the moose logo is unremovable

10. ssnyc

ssnyc Senior member

I think the question is do you really want to support a company that has had issues over discriminatory practices against minorities, the autistic, uses disreputable manufacturing, targets ignorant kids with too much money, and is associated with pure dochebaggery from its ceo to its average customer?

Slim plaid and flannel shirts are honestly dime a dozen especially nowadays. What's more important is a company whose product you can trust. Who gives a shit how the shirts fit? Who gives a shit if quality is not absolute mud?

+1

I'd pay 2x as much to buy Steven Alan USA made shirts....but I won't have to since the sample sale starts this Thursday (NYC).

11. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Yeah, Thom Browne sucks.

12. ma1

ma1 Senior member

Bought an A&F cotton button down on clearence a few years ago. The goddamn cotton ripped right next to the button placket, about 6". Not even on a seam. Straight down the fabric. Stitched it up and I still wear it under sweaters. Never had a shirt rip like that before though.

13. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

The whole SF that won't buy polos from Ralph Lauren like a normal person because there's a logo.

14. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

B-b-b-but I might be regarded as a douche plebian [​IMG]

15. rushup edge

rushup edge Active Member

I'm wearing A&F jeans right now actually. paid $18 on sale. i dare you to find a pair of jeans that aren't dad jeans for $18.