• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

abercrombie & fitch shirts - why the hate?

malefic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rushup edge
I'm wearing A&F jeans right now actually. paid $18 on sale. i dare you to find a pair of jeans that aren't dad jeans for $18.

This is precisely what is at issue in the entire thread. You got a pair of jeans for $18 that fit you. There is a certain thrill in finding something deemed usable for an incredibly low price; I remember feeling much the same way when I came across paint-splattered BlueNotes jeans for $10, tax included on cash payment, at the Canadian National Exhibition a few years ago. But now they hang in my closet in between my $345 PRPS jeans and my $360 McQueen jeans, and I've never worn them once. A great deal for 10 bucks? Sure. But was it actually worth spending 10 bucks on them, given what else is out there? No.

a-rock

Reaction score
Because of the Gap f&f sale over the weekend, I went to Old Navy and picked up a grey layering T and a long sleeve thermal. I think I'll start a thread or two about it.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
afisntsobad.th.png
[/IMG]

dixonmanor

Reaction score
"Why have hamburger when you could have steak?"

This is not a fair analogy. A good hamburger can be just as satisfying as a good steak and, all other variables being equal, I don't know that I'd automatically choose steak. Just sayin'.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But a food connoisseur wouldn't ever be caught eating a sloppy hamburger from burger king, unless he had no other choice.

Mall brands are for the most part ****, though there are a few brands I know that do produce semi-reasonable clothing so long as you are happy to accept that everything about the item is almost guaranteed to be worse than something 'better'.

The most obvious factor when it comes to cheap clothing is that you're going to have to settle with boring, standard cuts and styles, even if the quality isn't that bad, which in most cases it unfortunately is. You can sometimes get away with basic, 'ambiguous' pieces that either skipped crapification or certain pieces that are some kind of one hit wonder of the brand (though never considered as such by the brand themself), but like an amateur guitarist isn't going to play like jimi hendrix unless by great exception, nor will any mall brand ever produce something akin to designer unless by great exception.

I guess you could say wearing mall brands fashionably is a form of deception. If you're able to make a garment appear to carry the characteristics of a greater one, then you've succeeded.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dixonmanor

This is not a fair analogy. A good hamburger can be just as satisfying as a good steak and, all other variables being equal, I don't know that I'd automatically choose steak. Just sayin'.

And that pretty much just sums up how much you've still to learn, both in clothes and in meat.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dixonmanor

You've never had a good steak.
spam[1].gif

a-rock

Reaction score
Come on now, who doesn't love a good burger. It's one of THE great things in life.
Great burger > mediocre steak

Of course, 10 oz of rare+ Wagyu > everything else

Jonah

Reaction score
After reading the thread I was tempted to try on some A&F shirts. I went online to check the prices here in London and it was 70-80 pounds! (117-134 dollars) for a shirt
lol8[1].gif

malefic

Reaction score
^ Precisely why this thread is marsupialed. If someone was making >BB-quality shirts for $29.99 then by all means, bring it to our attention. But A&F is not cheap, so if you restrict yourself to sale-scrounging you might as well redirect that energy toward NICE brands on sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads