• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2017 MLB Season Thread

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know every team is convinced the umps are out to get them and I dont wanna sound conspiratorial here but I saw a stat that the vast majority of appeals have gone against the braves. I dont know if that proves anything but its fishy.

Like if they did it how rugby or NHL where someone away from the field immediately begins review that'd speed things up and hopefully get things right more often.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm a little league ump. If I was as consistently wrong as the MLB umps and never had admitted when I got stuff wrong I'd be fired. Oh and if once I had the demeanor of a pro ump that immediately escalates any discussion with a manager I'd never be able to work again.

It's just so frustrating.

as ethanm pointed out the braves have a ****** replay guy. this statement

If I was as consistently wrong as the MLB umps and never had admitted when I got stuff wrong I'd be fired.

is just basic fandom stupidity. They are right 99.9% of the time for non "balls and strikes" calls and even when they are challenged it is still pretty much a 50/50 proposition

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...plays-overturned-calls-drop-in-mlb/106223230/

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ohtani is great, but he seems to fall off a cliff after 90 or so pitches.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ohtani is great, but he seems to fall off a cliff after 90 or so pitches.

after following his development for 5ish years as a ranger fan and watching management carefully plan and acquire additional slot money to sign him it was an incredible kick in the nuts to see the dumbass Angels stumble into signing him.

After all the Moreno mismanagement they may actually not totally waste the prime of this generations best player (Trout)

spoiler alert: I think they still will

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eppler has made good moves since becoming GM (Simmons, Upton). They just need to make the playoffs after which anything can happen. Farm and pitching are **** but they have money.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am simply shocked that a player trying to DH and pitch in the rotation hurt his elbow. Shocked, I tell ya!

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
National broadcasts that aren't simulcast on local channels should be illegal. This ESPN crew is turrible.

brokencycle

Reaction score
How do you walk the pitcher? The pitcher with the worst batting average in the mlb?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do you walk the pitcher? The pitcher with the worst batting average in the mlb?
The best part was the ump not giving Ronald the walk. And then he hits a grand slam.

I don't know what was up with Gary Cederstrom but he was about as close to favorable toward a team as you can get, if he wasn't being favorable toward the Dodgers.

brokencycle

Reaction score
The announcers and analysts sure don't like the Brewers' non-traditional approach to pitching.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I continue to be baffled that more hitters don’t bunt against the shift.
Game 1, top of 9th, Dodgers down 2, Bellinger leading off. Isn’t his only job to get on base? If he lays down a mediocre bunt he’s guaranteed a hit. Does he bunt? Nope.
And why do the Brewers put on an extreme shift behind someone like Hader with a lefty up? Have they had too many left handers turnimg on Hader’s stuff and pulling it hard? Highly unlikely.
Yesterday a Dodger lefty (Muncy or Bellinger, forget which) singled off Hader by slapping a grounder into the open space on the left side of the infield. There’s little reason to believe the hitters would often make hard contact — most people make zero contact, dude averages close to two strikeouts per inning — trying to pull a Hader fastball it slider.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I continue to be baffled that more hitters don’t bunt against the shift.
Game 1, top of 9th, Dodgers down 2, Bellinger leading off. Isn’t his only job to get on base? If he lays down a mediocre bunt he’s guaranteed a hit. Does he bunt? Nope.
And why do the Brewers put on an extreme shift behind someone like Hader with a lefty up? Have they had too many left handers turnimg on Hader’s stuff and pulling it hard? Highly unlikely.
Yesterday a Dodger lefty (Muncy or Bellinger, forget which) singled off Hader by slapping a grounder into the open space on the left side of the infield. There’s little reason to believe the hitters would often make hard contact — most people make zero contact, dude averages close to two strikeouts per inning — trying to pull a Hader fastball it slider.

I agree with you. There are a lot of things I would like to see in base ball though. On the top of the list: power hitters not only pulling the ball and hitters playing for the situation. Not only did they not try the bunt against an extreme shift, but there were a few Dodgers swing for the fences when a HR didn't help them - they needed base runners (as a Brewer fan, I'm glad they didn't though). These trends are worse among the stars, and I still see young players doing these things occasionally.

I want to see people beating the shifts to perhaps stop it a bit. I get the reasoning behind the shifts, but if batters didn't always try to do the same thing regardless of the situation, the shift would be less effective.

I really would like to see a Brewers vs Astros WS for obvious reasons, but I really like seeing small market teams and teams with low salaries go the distance.

Finally, Joe Buck is somehow a worse baseball announcer than football.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads