• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2017 MLB Season Thread

RedLeg

Reaction score
Will they keep Chapman at #5 SP?

I am very much against moving him into the starting rotation. As a lock-down closer, you have the opportunity to impact a lot more games than as a starter. His pitching style is more conducive to a closer as well. He only really has two pitches and certainly has issues with control. My fear is that the 2nd or 3rd trip through the order he is much more hittable.

Think whether or not he stays in the starting rotation has a lot to do with how Homer Bailey does as well. If he pitches as well as he did last season, he is a solid #4 starter. His career has been marred by inconsistency though.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

I am very much against moving him into the starting rotation. As a lock-down closer, you have the opportunity to impact a lot more games than as a starter. His pitching style is more conducive to a closer as well. He only really has two pitches and certainly has issues with control. My fear is that the 2nd or 3rd trip through the order he is much more hittable.

Think whether or not he stays in the starting rotation has a lot to do with how Homer Bailey does as well. If he pitches as well as he did last season, he is a solid #4 starter. His career has been marred by inconsistency though. 

I would think most in Cincy would feel as you feel. Broxton is good, but he's not Chapman.

IMO Dusty Baker is an idiot. He ruined Jason Schmidt and Robb Nen's arms, and cost The Giants the World Series with his famous walk to the mound in Anaheim.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

exhibit 1:

Daniel Bard was/maybe still is the kind of pitcher that throws 99mph so easily and fluidly.

they thought since it was so easy/effortless to throw heat that it would translate to a starting rotation spot. now he's joba 2.0 :brick: :fu: :facepalm: :(

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah...

To be fair he has flourished as a Yankee, except for his BA.

His Ks are progressively worse. Also helps a baby bit playing in a smaller ballpark.

At the time, I was pissed, but it shaped up to a pretty good deal for the Tigers

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just listened to a radio interview with Johnny Damon. Its been said before but he really comes off as dumb. This time though it was dumb and super desperate - he mentioned before about being willing to play of the league minimum for the yankees in place of granderson even if its only for a couple of months to hold granderson's spot until healthy.

I'll always love the Caveman for his redsox days. He had a wet noodle of a throwing arm and suffered what was probably one of the most horrific bare face/head to head outfielder collisions in baseball history in 2003. I watched him a ton in 2007 when they played the yankees a lot in the old yankee stadium and damn when he got up a burst of speed to run down a fly ball it was breathtaking.

even compared to coco crisp and jacoby ellsbury damon was that fast.

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The ******* BALLS on this guy. He had this printed in all 3 of the area's major newspapers. Unfuckingbelieveable:

LETTER TO OUR FANS It’s no secret that last season was not our best — actually it was one of our worst. In large part, our performance on the field stunk and something needed to be done. As a result of some bold moves, many grabbed hold of our tough yet necessary decision only to unleash a vicious cycle of negativity. As the owner of the ballclub, the buck stops with me and I take my share of the blame where it’s due. However, many of the things being said about us are simply not true. I’ve sat by quietly and allowed this to continue. Now it’s time for me to respond to our most important constituents, the fans who love the game of baseball.

THE ROSTER
Losing is unacceptable to me. It’s incumbent upon us to take swift action and make bold moves when there are glaring problems. The controversial trade we made with the Toronto Blue Jays was approved by Commissioner Bud Selig and has been almost universally celebrated by baseball experts outside of Miami for its value. We hope, with an open mind, our community can reflect on the fact that we had one of the worst records in baseball. Acquiring high-profile players just didn’t work, and nearly everyone on our team underperformed as compared to their career numbers. Our plan for the year ahead is to leverage our young talent and create a homegrown roster of long-term players who can win. In fact, objective experts have credited us with going from the 28th ranked Minor League system in baseball to the 5th best during this period. Of the Top 100 Minor Leagues rated by MLB Network, we have six — tied for the most of any team in the league. We’ll evaluate this roster and possibly bring in additional talent based on our assessment of what we need. The very same naysayers who are currently skeptical once attacked us for bringing Pudge Rodriguez to the Marlins in 2003. More than any other, that move contributed to our World Series Championship.

THE BALLPARK
The ballpark issue has been repeatedly reported incorrectly and there are some very negative accustations being thrown around. It ain’t true, folks. Those who have attacked us are entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts. The majority of public funding came from hotel taxes, the burden of which is incurred by tourists who are visiting our city, NOT the resident taxpayers. The Marlins organization also agreed to contribute $161.2 million toward the ballpark, plus the cost of the garage complex. In addition, the Marlins receive no operating subsidy from local government funding. The ballpark required that all debt service is paid by existing revenue. Furthermore, many are attacking the County’s method of financing for its contribution, but the Marlins had nothing at all to do with that. The fact is, with your help, we built Marlins Park, a crown jewel in our beautiful Miami skyline, which has won over twenty design and architecture awards and will help make us a premiere ballclub moving forward.

OUR FINANCES
The simple fact is that we don’t have unlimited funds, nor does any baseball team or business. Fans didn’t turn out last season as much as we’d like, even with the high-profile players the columnists decry us having traded. The main ingredient to a successful ball club is putting together a winning team, including a ncecessary core of young talent. Are we fiscally capable and responsible enough to fill the roster with talented players, invest in the daily demands of running a world-class organization and bring a World Series back to Miami? Absolutely! It is sound business sense to witness an expensive roster with a terrible record and sit idly by doing nothing? No. I can and will invest in building a winner, but last season wasn’t sustainable and we needed to start from scratch quickly to build this team from the ground up.

COMMUNICATION
An organization is only as good as its connection with the community. We know we can do a better job communicating with our fans. That starts now. From this point forward we can ensure fans and the entire community that we will keep you abreast of our plan, rationale and motivations.
Amidst the current news coverage, it an be easy to forget how far we went together not so long ago. In 2003, I helped bring a second World Series title to South Florida. We know how to build a winning team, and have every intention of doing so again. I know you share my passion for great Marlins baseball, my love of MIami and my desire to win again. We’re in this together and I humbly ask that we start fresh, watch us mature quickly as a ball club, and root for the home team in 2013.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey Loria

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

The ******* BALLS on this guy. He had this printed in all 3 of the area's major newspapers. Unfuckingbelieveable:

What else is he going to say?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The controversial trade we made with the Toronto Blue Jays was approved by Commissioner Bud Selig and has been almost universally celebrated by baseball experts outside of Miami for its value

LOLOLOLLOLOLOOLOLOLOL

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This was my favorite line:

In fact, objective experts have credited us with going from the 28th ranked Minor League system in baseball to the 5th best during this period.

Well, sure, jackoff, when you trade away all your star players for prospects what the **** do you expect to happen?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

As a lock-down closer, you have the opportunity to impact a lot more games than as a starter.

Not really, but OK.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads