1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

2012 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Feb 3, 2011.

?

1. F

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. L

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. O

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. R

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. I

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. D

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  7. A!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  8. S

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  9. T

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  10. A

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  11. T

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  12. E!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  13. FLORIDA STATE!

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  14. FLORIDA STATE!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  15. FLORIDA STATE!

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  16. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  17. LET'S

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  18. GO

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  19. PANTHERS!

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pangolin

Pangolin Senior member

One of my friends who used to teach at Wisconsin now teaches at Alabama. She said the difference in the level of students is not favorable to Alabama. :embar:

2. AldenPyle

AldenPyle Senior member

A lot of this is a red herring. OkieState is a fly by night school and Alabama is one of the most storied programs in college football. I have no doubt that fact colored the votes of many coaches and sportswriters who were trying to weigh the relative strengths of two very good teams. I don't think thats such a terrible injustice either. I'm not particularly eager to see college football become the plaything of every decrepit corporate raider who wants to kick in a couple hundred million to watch his team win the BCS before he croaks. If you want to make it to the national championship either a) build it into a consistently top-flight program; or b) be the unquestionably dominant team. If you aren't either stop crying and enjoy your trip to a bowl game. (remember that everyone knows LSU had the best season this year, complaining that you were ranked 3 instead of 2 is just bitchy.)

Probably a lot of college football fanatics would rather watch LSU-OSU and I don't blame them. But the casual NCAA fan will be more likely to tune into watch the Crimson Tide. So, alls well that ends well.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

UGA is a good school and UF is now the most selective school in Florida. Also, IIRC, the SEC has a number of good law schools and other graduate stuff. UGA's vet school, for instance.

I think though, the average student at any college in the U.S. is a poor reflection of higher education.

Also, has everyone forgotten that nothing about this game really matters?

4. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

No, I just decided to not repeat what others have said and not clutter up the forum. I realize this may be a strange concept to you. That said, watching your logical contortions on this issue is pretty amusing.

5. MrG

MrG Senior member

The future is indeed bright in Athens. I'm a little concerned about the tailback situation, though. Crowell, the savior of Georgia's backfield, is starting to look like he has no heart and is made of glass. That said, I'm hoping he matures a bit over the summer. Also, Georgia is currently #1 for Keith Marshall, one of the best RB prospects in the country, so a little competition may help light a fire under Crowell. We should know about Marshall's decision by tomorrow.

Even so, with the way the East has looked lately, and considering the outstanding play of the defense and most of the offense, it's looking like the Dawgs are in great shape.

Ed hit on it pretty well, but I'll chime in, too. The SEC gets a bad rap over academics, but it's pretty exaggerated. Are there some "meh" schools? Definitely (we're all looking at you, Auburn). However, there are some really great schools in there, even ignoring Vandy.

Taking UGA, for example, Grady is one of the best journalism schools in the country (and home of the Peabody award), its vet school is top-10, it has a T1law school, the education program is in the top 50, and, my personal favorite, its MPA program is in the top five (ahead of all the Ivies but one).

There are other schools in the SEC that claim similar top-notch programs, as well, but I'm not as familiar with those. I admit that SEC schools aren't exactly Ivy League, but I do think the "SEC schools are basically high school do-overs that are only concerned with beer and sports" reputation is overblown and unfair. At the very least, its overall education profile isn't at all inferior to the vast majority of other major/mid-major conferences.

You have no idea how wrong you are, especially starting next year.

I took a look at the top 100 of the most recent US News rankings, and it was quite informative. It was a quick review, so it's possible I may have missed a school on either side, but I'm pretty confident I got them all. In terms of current membership, the SEC has five top-100 schools to the Big 12's four, so they're currently pretty evenly matched. However, two of the Big 12's top-100 schools will be in the SEC next year, and the Big 12 will pick up one top-100 school from the MWC (TCU), which means the count will tilt heavily in the SEC's favor at seven to the Big 12's three. So, as you can see, not only will the SEC boast considerably more top-100 schools, but two of the Big 12's four best schools are headed to the SEC.

Oh, and I know two people who went to LSU. One holds a master's degree, the other is working on his PhD, both at schools other than LSU.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  6. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

On the topic of academics, the big point about the SEC is that academic standards for athletes are consistently lower than just about every other conference. I know UGA had something like a 40% graduation rate for football, and like 18% for basketball (and UGA wasn't even good at bball!). Most schools in the SEC are really willing to stretch on admissions to athletes. I know most everybody does it, but it's endemic in the SEC. Half literate athletes with suspicious high school grades like Michael Oher (gotta love the positive spin in that movie) are a lot more common in the SEC.

7. FLMountainMan

Why don't you want poor young black men to get an education?

8. eg1

eg1 Senior member

If you are looking for volunteers ... :devil:

:satisfied::lurk:
    Regarding UGA's running backs, you guys are simply profligate with your talent -- good thing for you that the recruiting manages (just) to outpace the criminality and academic implosions. :paranoia:

As for the academic achievements of various and sundry football factories, the issue is not whether there are some respectable programs available, it's the egregious slurry at the bottom which determines eligibility at the margins -- and some margins are more marginal than others ... :plain:

[​IMG]

9. FLMountainMan

So public universities located in more diverse and poorer states tend to have inferior academics to those located in less diverse and wealthier states? That's really unexpected.

10. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

This is an epic derail, but I just can't help myself. In any case, I can't wait til bowl season.

Yes there are some decent academic schools in the SEC outside of Vandy (Vandy belongs to the FBS "elite" academically)... UGA and Florida for example. To characterize all SEC schools as academic cesspools is unfair, pointless, degrading and inaccurate, but at the end of the day, while SEC fans can lord over football success, academically the conference is no where near its peer conferences such as the Pac 12, Big10 or ACC.

Compare to other major conferences.

Pac12: Furd (elite), Cal (elite), UCLA (elite), USC (elite), UW (decent), Colorado (borderline decent)
    ACC: Duke (elite), Virginia (elite), Wake Forest (elite), UNC (elite), BC (borderline elite), Gtech (borderline elite), Maryland (decent), Miami (decent), Clemson (decent), Vtech (decent)... Wow.
    Big 10: NWU (elite), Michigan (elite), Wisconsin (decent), Pennstate (decent), Illinois (decent), Indiana (decent), tOsu (decent)... well, basically every big 10 university is a "decent" state school.

Not too familiar with Big 12 or Big East.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  11. tj100

tj100 Senior member

Big XII is pretty similar to the SEC. Maybe not as high because they have no Vandy comparable. Texas is probably the best academic school in the Big XII, and it's probably in the "decent" category. Both have some pretty bad schools (Mississippi State, Texas Tech).

Big East is hard to rank because of the different football / basketball memberships. My read would be that it has no "elite" schools (except non-football members, Notre Dame + Georgetown) but also doesn't have the mediocrity that the bigger conferences have (though I don't imagine that Louisville and South Florida are exactly the Harvard and Yale of the South).

12. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

Looks like someone went to Wake Forest!

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'm happy about VT v. Michigan in the Sugar Bowl, but I fear VT will choke, again.

14. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Big East has Rutgers and Nova which both fit the "decent" category at least.

On the Big 10 side, I'd edge PSU toward elite.

15. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I'd probably put Texas in the elite. Texas Tech, OSU, K State, and soon to be West Virginia round out the bottom of the conference. The rest fit in the decent category.

16. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

Vandy may have the academic ranking on the magazines but I don't think it's academically elite in its programs like Texas.

If Wake Forest is considered "borderline elite" then Texas has to be at LEAST "borderline elite" imo.

This isn't exactly to the quoted poster, but: being in the "Top 100" doesn't mean anything in my opinion. "Top 50" does.

I'm derailing the ish out of this thread but oh well.

Disclaimer: Texas is my alma mater.

17. ConcernedParent

Furd, NWU, Vandy, Duke, Cal, UCLA, Virginia and Michigan, I think are the only schools in major conferences which we can all consider unanimously as academically elite (strength of student body, reputation, rankings, etc...).

I'm sorry for considering WF (Don't know much about the school, just looked at its undergraduate profile+ranking... yeah, yeah, they are bullshit, whatever). Can we now discuss football?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  18. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Not to be a homer, but USC is ranked higher than UCLA in the whatever that ranking everyone refers to ranking (US News?)

We definitely belong in the list of elites.

19. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Uh....GA Tech is one of the best engineering schools in the world. To not put it in the elite category is ridiculous. It has such a high acceptance rate because only people who could get in apply.

FSU is also a very good school.

Also, I remember profs saying Big 10 schools (pre-expansion) got an unfairly bad rap academically. Wisconsin is great, Illinois is great, Purdue is really strong, Michigan, Northwestern (really, going to leave NW off the elite list of BCS schools? :confused:) Ohio State is really really good, Iowa has some of the best programs in the world for a number of arts programs, hell even Penn State has some top flight academic programs.

20. ConcernedParent

I hate this fucking thread, but I can't quit it.

Ga. Tech is an engineering/science school and its reputation/student body is more in line with Illinois/CMU/Texas type of engineering programs (pretty damn good) rather than the Stanford/MIT/Cal programs.

I forgot NWU. I acknowledged the rest as being decent schools, but not everyone (in some cases, only alumni or extreme homers) would assent to them being elite.

USC is elite in my opinion, but not unanimously elite. It's reputation (not to mention its graduate programs) hasn't caught up to its sudden rise.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011