• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2012 College Football Thread

?

• F

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • L

• O

• R

• I

• D

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • A!

• S

• T

• A

• T

• E!

• FLORIDA STATE!

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • FLORIDA STATE!

• FLORIDA STATE!

• WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• LET'S

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • GO

• PANTHERS!

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An all-SEC title game would bum so many people out. Maybe that would be the final straw that led to a playoff.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so let me get this straight, now the argument in favor of a playoff is that because the two best teams are from the SEC, that wouldn't be good so we should have a playoff? Like, while there are merits for such a system the stupidest arguments are being trotted out for it.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somehow I think that some shenanigans will manage to get Stanford into the title game.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That made me spit soup on my monitor :happy:
Also, go Dawgs. Ugly win, but we'll take it.

Agreed. They can't all be pretty. I kind of thought that game might be a bit ugly. With Tech and the SECCG on the horizon, it's easy to look ahead of a terrible UK team.

:(

I heard about this earlier.

RIP, Larry. A lot of his calls are permanent parts of Bulldog history.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

so let me get this straight, now the argument in favor of a playoff is that because the two best teams are from the SEC, that wouldn't be good so we should have a playoff? Like, while there are merits for such a system the stupidest arguments are being trotted out for it.

I'm not saying it's a good argument at all. I'm just saying that it's a result that the NCAA wouldn't like as it reduces nationwide interest in the title game. I don't want a playoff but I think it's inevitable that we end up with one. I would rather go back to before the BCS, when it was all about winning your conference, beating your biggest rival and getting into a bowl game, but you can't unring that bell.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, that has always been one of the primary arguments of a playoff. They favor the "best team playing today" over the best overall performance over a season.

They also ensure the SEC teams have to play some Non-SEC competition to PROVE they are the best two teams, rather than doing it by dominating SEC competition only. (Again, I'll point to 2007 when tOSU and Michigan played an epic 1 vs. 2 battle, then went on to lose BOTH their bowl games.... it's no different when it's the SEC or the Big 10.)

Think about a team that has a number of injuries late in the season, and fields a b-team in the championship.

Finally, there has been a long history of this in the NFL and nobody has cared. Remember when San Francisco/Dallas or New England / Indianapolis were the "de facto" Super Bowls? Still, people want to see an AFC/NFC matchup in the superbowl.

Last edited:

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I think the top 8 BCS teams should be matched up 1-8, 2-7, etc. in the four BCS bowls and the four winners should have a single elimination playoff afterwards. You're only adding two more games.

Last edited:

moffy

Reaction score
but college football is a one semester sport. academics come first. adding a playoff would jeopardize the education of the student athletes. would somebody please think of the student athletes?

Last edited:

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And yet the college world series happens after they graduate :facepalm:

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the top 8 BCS teams should be matched up 1-8, 2-7, etc. in the four BCS bowls and the four winners should have a single elimination playoff afterwards. You're only adding two more games.

Enter controversy over teams 9-whatever about being snubbed. It's pretty plausible to end up having 9 or so 1 (or less) loss teams by bowl time.

but college football is a one semester sport. academics come first. adding a playoff would jeopardize the education of the student athletes. would somebody please think of the student athletes?

:D

tj100

Reaction score

I think they should have the conference champions of the major conferences square off in a playoff. I really don't like the idea of a team that didn't win their conference having a shot at the National title.

I'm pretty content with having one of Alabama, Arkansas, or LSU in the title game; not thrilled at all with the idea of an SEC rematch though.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think they should have the conference champions of the major conferences square off in a playoff. I really don't like the idea of a team that didn't win their conference having a shot at the National title.
I'm pretty content with having one of Alabama, Arkansas, or LSU in the title game; not thrilled at all with the idea of an SEC rematch though.

So you hate the NCAA Basketball Tournament?

tj100

Reaction score

So you hate the NCAA Basketball Tournament?

I don't love it.

I think it's a fun event, but I don't think it does a great job in equitably determining what basketball team is the best, and it's also done a great job of hollowing out the value of the regular season and conference tournaments. It's great theater, but I'm not sure it's great sports.

I actually think the current BCS system almost certainly does a better job matching up the best two teams in the country then the NCAA Basketball Title game does.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads